Author Topic: Kabuki Quatum Fighter: I Whip My Hair Back and Forth  (Read 974 times)

Offline bluelander

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • My blog!
Kabuki Quatum Fighter: I Whip My Hair Back and Forth
« on: July 29, 2013, 02:02:46 PM »

The best Ninja Gaiden this side of Ninja Gaiden.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/extralife/35046

As part of my morning ritual I've started popping in random NES games while I have my morning tea. Sometimes they're games I remember fondly and know tons of trivia about, other times they are games that I've never played and know almost nothing about. This morning's tea is the always-wonderful Yorkshire Gold, and our game is Kabuki Quantum Fighter.

The cutscene before the game tells me that I'll be using an "Image Transfer System" to travel into computer circuits, and our protagonist Scott O'Conner will be taking part in this experiment. All this because someone broke into the defense computers! Well, suit up Scott, it's time to go kick some butt in this weird mashup of the Matrix and the Cell.

Apparently my main attack is whipping things with my hair, I wonder if this was the inspiration for Shantae? Surely, there can't be that many hair-based combatants. It sort of plays like a well done Ninja Gaiden knockoff, and the still-beating hearts strewn throughout the first level remind me of the ridiculous imagery found in Ninja Gaiden 3. I don't think Ryu Hayabusa ever attacked anyone with his ponytail though.

The first boss is a Ninja (Ryu!?) who I was just able to brute force my way past. As it turns out I can switch to what appears to be some sort of dart weapon, although it has limited ammo. I think I'll just stick to headbanging all my enemies to death, thank you. I did alright in the first level, but my health isn't replenished between stages, which means this game has sealed its fate as one I'll probably never finish! Seriously, what game doesn't replenish your health between stages?

I'm also fighting what appear to be red Battletoads; I guess they had to find another source of income after their TV show tanked. Somewhere along the line I picked up another weapon as well, but I can't keep enough chips in the bank to use it. It seems to be some sort of red throwing knife, although I'll bet that it's just used cans of hair gel, not to mention it doesn't seem to be too effective. Guess I'll just stick to good 'ol fashioned hairspray and elbow grease!

The second stage boss is another ninja dude, but he’s white instead of blue. If they add in black, pink, red and yellow then they could just make this a Power Rangers storyline! Either way, the White Power Ranger here took me out, and it looks like the game has limited continues. Strike two, Kabuki Quantum Fighter. The third level devolves into a massive platforming challenge with virtually no enemies, which has become a little too rigorous for my relaxing morning game time.

Kabuki Quantum Fighter has some tight controls, but limited continues mean that if I come back to it, I'll be breaking out the Game Genie. Either way, if you're looking for more hair whipping after picking up Shantae last week, then you might want to add this to your list.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: Kabuki Quatum Fighter: I Whip My Hair Back and Forth
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 05:40:26 PM »
I remember this game. Not something that everyone needs to play, but a tight experience. Reminded me of Vice: Project Doom as one of those second-tier NES gems that can be really enjoyable if you are a fan of old-school challenge.
NNID: ejamer