Author Topic: Now that's extreme GBA love  (Read 2449 times)

Offline PGC-Agent Cooper

• Founder
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Now that's extreme GBA love
« on: September 11, 2002, 07:01:19 AM »
GBA Extreme Team member kite surfs across the Irish Sea.  For the good of Nintendo!

Kitesurf record set with Kirsty Jones' 70-mile Irish Sea crossing.

On Friday 6th September at 6pm, Nintendo Game Boy Advance Xtreme Team member Kirsty Jones, became the first person to successfully Kitesurf across the Irish Sea. Current British Ladies Champion, Kirsty made the gruelling 70 mile trip from Rosslare in the Republic of Ireland, to Broad Haven in Pembrokeshire.  

This is the first time a crossing has been attempted and the money raised by Kirsty is going to the Ty- Hafan Children's Hospice, a Welsh charity caring for families who have children with life limiting conditions. She was supported by the "Dale Sea Safari" 28ft safety back up rig.

24 year old Kirsty, has pretty much lived in the water since she was born. From the age of 16 she has spent summers teaching water sports in West Wales and Ireland, and winters travelling the world in search of wind and waves.

Kirsty has competed in the world windsurfing championships, surfed for the Welsh team in the Europeans and achieved much success at both sports on a national level. Her passions for windsurfing and surfing led her naturally to kitesurfing in 2001. In her first few months of kitesurfing she began to compete on the British tour and at the end of the year became Women's UK Kitesurfing Champion before joining the Game Boy Advance Xtreme Team in 2002.

When Kirsty arrived safely back to Pembrokeshire, where she has just bought a house, she was tired but exhilarated by her unprecedented success. She said "I love challenging myself and I am very pleased at being the first person to have crossed the Irish Sea… maybe the Atlantic is next!"

Billy Berghammer
Founder -- Planet GameCube.com