Author Topic: Wii Lineup for First Quarter 2007 Expands Nintendo's Global Phenomenon  (Read 8995 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Wii Lineup for First Quarter 2007 Expands Nintendo's Global Phenomenon
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2007, 06:19:10 AM »
This is giving me flashbacks of the Cube around the same time.  I recall Nintendo sending out a "look how many great games we have" press release pull of nothing back then too.  And unsurprisingly just like back then there are a few people acting excited about some pretty unspectacular third party games.

But it doesn't look to be as long as the Cube drought was (assuming Super Paper Mario is released in April) and there are still a lot of people who want Wii's but have not been able to buy one yet so a good chunk of the future userbase will not notice the drought.  So far it's not as big of a deal.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2007, 06:50:28 AM »
The Resident Evil remake was released in April.  Waiting till June for Eternal Darkness was an even worse wait.

Same drought length.  Same phail rate.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2007, 06:56:46 AM »
Ride on Sonic/Sonic Adventure 2: Battle sells extremely well because there are no other games to buy.

It's all just a little bit of history repeating....
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:Wii Lineup for First Quarter 2007 Expands Nintendo's Global Phenomenon
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2007, 08:32:15 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
This is giving me flashbacks of the Cube around the same time.  I recall Nintendo sending out a "look how many great games we have" press release pull of nothing back then too.  And unsurprisingly just like back then there are a few people acting excited about some pretty unspectacular third party games.

But it doesn't look to be as long as the Cube drought was (assuming Super Paper Mario is released in April) and there are still a lot of people who want Wii's but have not been able to buy one yet so a good chunk of the future userbase will not notice the drought.  So far it's not as big of a deal.

what What WHAT?!?!?!

Is anyone here confused as to why Ian isn't going negative? This is such a great opportunity too!

For instance, more people own Wiis now compared to the GC at the same time, so there are more people to disappoint and who might notice a drought.

Also, how can Nintendo prove that things have really changed with a completely empty month of February?

And do they truly believe we'll buy into the VC will carry us through droughts excuse? If so!!! ... okay, they got me there.

On the plus side, demand for the console itself is still apparently through the roof and mostly from casual/non-gamers who wouldn't be too affected by the drought anyways. "drought" is a hardcore gamer term.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2007, 08:38:48 AM »
Wii and controllers are so in demand, Wii Play reserves have sold out in several retail chains.

With so many people getting Wii Play, February must be empty, right?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2007, 09:40:06 AM »
I preordered Wii Play from ebgames.com back in december because I was worried about controller demand making it hard to find.  I better get one from the first round of shipments.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2007, 10:35:37 AM »
Mario Kart 64.... I hope they have a big shipment of classic controllers coming.  Or else I might need to grab some extra wavebirds.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline xanrastafari

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2007, 01:42:21 AM »
Seriously though, how in hell is Sonic not a big name third party game?

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2007, 02:41:57 AM »
Because of Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic Riders and the recently released...Sonic the Hedgehog.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa