Author Topic: This Week in Nintendo Downloads  (Read 2992 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
This Week in Nintendo Downloads
« on: November 29, 2010, 04:19:41 PM »

Cave Story explores the DSiWare service, and its WiiWare counterpart receives a demo.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/24492

Headlining this week is Cave Story, Nicalis's indie sensation. Starting life as a free PC game by Pixel, the game received a WiiWare update, which was released on March 22, 2010. Today, a demo of the WiiWare version has been added to the demos section of the Wii Shop Channel. In addition, a DSiWare version was released today. For 1,000 DSi Points ($10), players will get to experience Mimiga Village and uncover the plot behind their existence.

The second DSiWare title this week is Frenzic, a puzzle game from Two Tribes that promises to challenge players' minds with gameplay that is easy to learn, but challenging to master. Frenzic can be downloaded for 200 DSi Points ($2). From Big John Games comes this week's third DSiWare title, Spot It! Challenge. Based on the Spot-It series of books by Capstone Press, the main objective is to spot different objects in 10 different puzzles. The item-finding game is priced at 200 DSi Points ($2).

Lemon Games has the first WiiWare title for the week, Airport Mania: First Flight. The 500 Wii Point ($5) title has players going to many airports trying to catch flights and avoiding delays. From airports, we jump to disc golf with HB Arcade Disc Golf from HB Studios Multimedia. The 1,000 Wii Point ($10) game is a disc golf simulator where players can take control of how they toss the disc as they try to get as many discs in the basket as possible.

The Virtual Console section of the Wii Shop Channel receives the final game for the week, Magical Drop II for the Neo Geo. A 900 Wii Point ($9) puzzle title, players will be popping balloons of the same color and creating chains in order to gain the highest score possible.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: This Week in Nintendo Downloads
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 06:03:47 PM »
I tried out the Cave Story demo. It reminded me too much of NES Metroid, a game which I don't like, and I'm not a fan of retro-styled games, so the demo does nothing but solidify my choice to pass it over.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 04:00:39 AM »
I tried out the Cave Story demo. It reminded me too much of NES Metroid, a game which I don't like, and I'm not a fan of retro-styled games, so the demo does nothing but solidify my choice to pass it over.

I had the opposite reaction to it. I wasn't expecting anything out of Cave Story, and ended up enjoying it a lot!

I didn't find it to be as bad as Metroid. Cave Story at the very least has some guides as to what to do. Metroid had nothing. On what difficulty setting did you play it on, though?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 11:53:10 AM »

What, not enough crying over dead jellyfish in it?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 02:18:02 PM »
Dear Cave Story developers:
I enjoyed the demo of your game and would be interested in downloading the DSiWare version of it.  However, due to Nintendo's insane and unreasonable DRM restrictions, I have not downloaded it.  Just wanted to let you know, the reason I haven't purchased it has *nothing* to do with the game itself and 100% to do with Nintendo.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 03:04:50 PM »
Dear And Yet It Moves Developers:
Likewise with your demo.  Loved it.  Would like to purchase the full version of it as well.  Will not, due to Nintendo's asinine DRM.

Dear Bit.Trip Developers:
Sorry... I've now tried two of your games... I don't get it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 04:18:54 PM »
Likewise with your demo.  Loved it.  Would like to purchase the full version of it as well.  Will not, due to Nintendo's asinine DRM.

It's also available on Steam.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 01:30:59 PM »

But doesn't the Steam version have you rotate the world in 90 degree increments instead of giving you 100% control over the environment?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 03:43:26 PM »
Yes but since that's the original version the levels are designed for it.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »

But doesn't the Steam version have you rotate the world in 90 degree increments instead of giving you 100% control over the environment?
Yeah, I had tried the PC demo and didn't like that as much... might break down and get it though.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 03:01:24 AM »
On what difficulty setting did you play it on, though?
I tried all three to see what the differences are. I also tried both the new and original music, and both were ear-piercing, though the new was less so.

Dear Cave Story developers:
I enjoyed the demo of your game and would be interested in downloading the DSiWare version of it.  However, due to Nintendo's insane and unreasonable DRM restrictions, I have not downloaded it.  Just wanted to let you know, the reason I haven't purchased it has *nothing* to do with the game itself and 100% to do with Nintendo.
I thought you still had tens of thousands of points. What has changed?

At the least, that would make the game control better, and would probably allow for better level design too.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 03:25:29 AM »
I thought you still had tens of thousands of points. What has changed?

I still have a ton of points left on my primary Wii and my DSi (and on my wife's DSi), but I've been on this one-man semi-boycott of Nintendo's digital products pretty much since the DSiXL came out, due to Nintendo's unreasonable DRM restrictions.

I know it won't change much, even more so since I've already got the points loaded on the systems, but it makes for some good conversation with people involved with the process.  I've spoken with reps from two different companies about it (one of them is a pretty heavy supporter of Nintendo's Digital Distribution platform) and we've had a good talk about it.  Quite honestly, there's no real way of knowing how much Nintendo's policy is effecting sales - so I don't really expect anything to come out of my complaints... just screaming into the darkness.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 09:59:30 PM »
I'm assuming that you have or want a DSi XL, but all your points are already on your regular DSi so you can't download games onto the XL?

I'm not a fan of Nintendo's online shopping services either, but, like you, I got all my points from last summer's Pepsi sweepstakes. Since these points have already been paid for by Pepsi, it doesn't really make a difference if I use them or not. Once they're gone, I doubt I'd buy any points, especially because so far nothing on WiiWare has impressed me.