Author Topic: Sega to Scale Back M-Rated Wii Games  (Read 26062 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Sega to Scale Back M-Rated Wii Games
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2010, 02:59:13 AM »
"the collector's edition of Cursed Mountain"

What the hell!  Such an edition exists??
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2010, 03:01:46 AM »
Wii are getting Mature games; Wii just aren't getting QUALITY Mature games.

I think the only way this is going to change is if Nintendo starts getting the games rolling themselves and show the 3rd parties how its done. I know Nintendo doesn't like to make M games themselves, but they can make them happen with the help of their 2nd parties. If that isn't an option, then they can start buying studios or set up new ones from scratch to start getting these games produced. We know Nintendo has the money to make this happen, and they should.

Then when the quality Nintendo produced Mature games start selling like crazy, what will this Sega jerk have to say then?
is your sanity...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2010, 03:02:10 AM »
REAL Survival Horror seems to be another genre that the dudebros of the HD persuasion can't handle. That's why RE5 is all steroids and guns.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 07, 2010, 03:02:25 AM »
*raises hand*
Wait, I thought you owned a PlayStation 3? Regardless, I find myself agreeing with pretty much every word you said.

Also, how can the 3rd parties be expected to put their full effort into a title on the platform that's not going to sell, no matter how good the game is, when Nintendo themselves clearly aren't putting their full effort behind their Wii titles?
Show me these third-party games of which you speak which have the same effort as Nintendo's own games. The few that do exist seem to have sold pretty well. And maybe people wouldn't be weary of third-party games if they didn't release so much dross. Nintendo earned their reputation by creating great games.

But that is the the point. The "mature" market is here, we just aren't getting the "mature" games we want. They instead get released on the HD consoles and we get "dreck" and unwanted compromises in their place.*cough*railshooter*cough*
How do you know the market is still here? If you wanted the games you just mentioned, would you not have already went out and bought one of those systems? We're over three years into this generation (four years for the XBox 360) so I have a hard time believing that there are very many people left who would buy those games.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2010, 03:19:41 AM »
I'm sure there are plenty of gamers out there that can't justify the purchase of more than one gaming system and support that system with actual games that they want to play to make that purchase worth it.

There are quite a few games I would buy if I had a PS3
Demon's Soul, Bayonetta, Borderlands & Uncharted 3 to name them off the top of my head
but I don't actually see myself purchasing a PS3 to play any of them, so I am extremely disappointed when games like those don't make their way to all the systems, especially the market leading console that has a single market share that is equal or greater to the other 2 systems combined.

PS2 didn't have these types of problems and the whole SD vs HD argument is BS so I really don't care to hear it.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 07, 2010, 03:27:59 AM »
PS2 didn't have these types of problems and the whole SD vs HD argument is BS so I really don't care to hear it.
The other two systems have more than just HD, they have so much more processing power and other specs I don't comprehend. I have no doubts that there are games on those systems which are not possible on Wii. But I haven't really played any games on either system so I can't really discuss what of them could be possible on Wii, or what kind of extra programming would be required to re-work games.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2010, 03:35:12 AM »
This is true, but you can't put the full blame for this on the 3rd parties, not when Nintendo designed the Wii to be like this by intentionally making it dramatically less powerful than its competitors

I hate it when people pin this on the Wii's hardware. Nintendo did what they had to do not to, as the analysts used to say, "go out of business." And if they also happened to keep development costs cheap, and espouse a value system that rewards fun over pixels, well then that's good too.

Also, how can the 3rd parties be expected to put their full effort into a title on the platform that's not going to sell, no matter how good the game is, when Nintendo themselves clearly aren't putting their full effort behind their Wii titles?

ARGH. Why do people think this? Do they have any idea who created Wii Sports? Wii Fit? Wii Music? Miyamoto, only one of the most valuable designers in the industry. I mean, seriously, this is EAD we're talking about here. Just because the game doesn't fit a certain value system doesn't mean that it didn't come out of one of the most respected, innovative, and quality development houses out there.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 07, 2010, 03:37:18 AM »
"the collector's edition of Cursed Mountain"

What the hell!  Such an edition exists??

Oh, sorry. Technically, it's the 'Limited Edition." Game soundtrack, Making of DVD, Solid, Sturdy, harder case, HD gaming price.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #108 on: January 07, 2010, 03:57:09 AM »
What store sold it?  HOW DID I MISS IT?

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 07, 2010, 04:08:59 AM »
REAL Survival Horror seems to be another genre that the dudebros of the HD persuasion can't handle. That's why RE5 is all steroids and guns.

While everyone complains about the Wii they don't seem to notice the huge difference in the "hardcore" games this time around.  FPS were small on ps2 compared to today.  A lot of the games I liked last generation and the "gamers" loved are essentially nonexistent right now outside the ds.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 07, 2010, 04:09:46 AM »
?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 07:34:46 AM by SixthAngel »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 07, 2010, 04:25:41 AM »
What store sold it?  HOW DID I MISS IT?

I think it's still being sold on Amazon.

My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 07, 2010, 04:33:20 AM »
Interesting article about Darkside Chronicles and more poor sales of 'mature titles' on Wii.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/capcom-disappointment-over-resident-evil-wii-sales

Sales of Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles on Wii have been a"disappointment", the director general of Capcom France has revealed.

According to Antoine Seux, sales of other mature games, such asMadWorld and Dead Rising, on the platform have also suffered as coregamers have "obviously moved on".

Speaking in an interview with Gamekult, Seux said that Darkside Chronicles had sold a disappointing 16,000 units by December 23 - lower than hoped. The sales, he continued, pointed to a very clear problem withcore gamers moving on from the Wii and its audience becoming a muchbroader one. Resident Evil 4 on Wii worked well, he added, selling over140,000 units. But as it was released in June 2007 the market "hadnothing to do". The situation has since "radically changed" he notes, with anoversupply of games in 2009. Core games are selling less and less onthe Nintendo console, he suggested, with sales of MadWorld, DeadRising: Chop Till You Drop and The House of the Dead: Overkill allfailing to make significant impact.

In contrast, games such as Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games andNew Super Mario Bros "work great", he added. But the Wii market isbecoming complex.
Seux's comments echo those made earlier this week by SEGA studio director Constantine Hantzopoulos.

The poor performance of EA's Dead Space Extraction - a game with plentyof marketing muscle - "stunned" the company, said Hantzopoulos, whoadded that SEGA probably wouldn't release any more mature games ontothe Wii.
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 07, 2010, 04:37:13 AM »

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2010, 05:19:29 AM »
Yeah, we've moved on. MOVED ON FROM TABLESCRAPS LIKE THAT, that is.

It may just be me, but I think 2D games are a lot harder than modern 3D games. I don't know why, but on the old NES games they seemed hard, and even playing them now I keep dying...

That's because they were designed to be hard to wring more quarters from you. Modern games almost seem designed to prevent the player from losing. They're still a LOT more confusing to newcomers because you've got movement in three dimensions to account for and usually more than the two buttons the NES had. They tend to add all kinds of special jumps and maneuvers whereas a 2D game would limit its physics to "if you're on the ground you can jump, if you land on something you can walk on it".

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2010, 10:17:47 AM »
So "we've moved on now"?  As in, we're seeing another console?  This is a weird industry.
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2010, 12:05:46 PM »

While everyone complains about the Wii they don't seem to notice the huge difference in the "hardcore" games this time around.  FPS were small on ps2 compared to today.  A lot of the games I liked last generation and the "gamers" loved are essentially nonexistent right now outside the ds.

This man speaks truth.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2010, 04:36:46 PM »

This man speaks truth.

This is true. The DS is the PS2.

Modern games almost seem designed to prevent the player from losing. They're still a LOT more confusing to newcomers because you've got movement in three dimensions to account for and usually more than the two buttons the NES had. They tend to add all kinds of special jumps and maneuvers whereas a 2D game would limit its physics to "if you're on the ground you can jump, if you land on something you can walk on it".

This is true. I mean, just look at NSMBWii.

Also, Miyamoto is way ahead of the game on this one. He has been trying to get back to one-button gameplay ever since the GameCube era. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 11:58:32 PM by Kairon »

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2010, 05:34:38 PM »
Already covered here

Started reading that article, and was about to give the French dude props for calling it like it is, and making an astute and honest observation, but then I realized he was still a PR tool.

All that talk about "moving on" I took to be referring to gamers "moving on" from the "novelty"/"gimmicky" moves of turning deep, adventure/platform/etc. games into light gun/on-rails shooters or mini-game fests. Sure, it's fine one time (Umbrella Chronicles, Raving Rabbids, etc.), but to do it over and over again? Heck yeah we're going to "move on," meaning the Expansion-Pack-Priced-Like-A-Full-Sequel isn't going to sell like gangbusters.

But no. Dude in that interview = silly PR tool. Sorry for the misunderstanding there, fella.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2010, 04:20:26 PM »
maybe if they released some better games their sales would do better. The public isn't purchasing lightgun games, but a port of Resident Evil 4 was a million seller. I don't think the genre will ever be that popular. I think the logic by releasing so many was that previously the games were tres expensive because you had to purchase that extra light gun, but now the Wii solves that. However, the Wiimote solves that problem and they're still not selling, so their just an unpopular genre. Gamers like choices, and rail shooters don't offer them. In Madworld's regard i still want to buy the game, its just when it first came out it was nowhere to be found, plus i never saw tv ads for it. So a combination of not widely available, and not marketed led it to be an obscure game.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2010, 04:51:49 PM »
It's only $20 on Amazon right now. I'd go for it if you are still interested.
My Game Collection

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2010, 06:25:53 PM »
I really, really reallly reallly can't wait for Zelda Wii. Uncharted 3 eat your heart out.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2010, 04:24:55 PM »
Do you mean Uncharted 2, going be a wait for 3. 

To Kairon, you missed the point.  People were willing to pay a few dollars more for one system that does both or the fact Nintendo could have taken a hit and sold the consoles at a lost because Nintendo has a big enough warchest that losing a few dollars up front wouldn't have killed them.  They sell the WII at a profit.