Author Topic: REVIEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass  (Read 8657 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:REVIEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2007, 11:17:57 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
Actually I think it is the touch controls and how they suck for a game like this. No need for a hot topic.

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2007, 01:21:36 PM »

On another note, I personally think PH will be one of the most divisive Zelda's ever, while there were detractors in regards to TP it was overwhelmingly accepted, but PH seems to be splitting people. Now I wouldn't say it is Zelda 2 esque splitting but it still appears to be there.

Wind Waker says hi...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2007, 01:27:24 PM »

Originally posted by: pap64

On another note, I personally think PH will be one of the most divisive Zelda's ever, while there were detractors in regards to TP it was overwhelmingly accepted, but PH seems to be splitting people. Now I wouldn't say it is Zelda 2 esque splitting but it still appears to be there.

Wind Waker says hi...

I wouldn't even say that, people's complaints about Wind Waker really had nothing to do with controls nor even really the gameplay. Zelda: PH though has a wide gap between those that like the touch controls and those who do not. Some of us find the gameplay overly simplified and bare bones while others think it is just right. Wind Waker's main complaints were over ocean travel, triforce quest, and lack of dungeons. Besides PH has a lower overrall score than Wind Waker!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2007, 01:31:24 PM »

Originally posted by: pap64

Wind Waker says hi...

I wouldn't even say that, people's complaints about Wind Waker really had nothing to do with controls nor even really the gameplay. Zelda: PH though has a wide gap between those that like the touch controls and those who do not. Some of us find the gameplay overly simplified and bare bones while others think it is just right. Wind Waker's main complaints were over ocean travel, triforce quest, and lack of dungeons. Besides PH has a lower overrall score than Wind Waker!

But still, it was a rather dividing Zelda game, causing perhaps one of the biggest Nintendo controversies in history.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2007, 01:46:15 PM »
What do you mean biggest controversy in Nintendo's history? The cell shading? That pretty much died off after the game was released, the only ones that complained about it afterwards tended to be people who didn't like Zelda much in the first place!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2007, 02:09:36 PM »

Actually I think it is the touch controls and how they suck for a game like this. No need for a hot topic.

What do you mean biggest controversy in Nintendo's history? The cell shading? That pretty much died off after the game was released, the only ones that complained about it afterwards tended to be people who didn't like Zelda much in the first place!

Agreed and Agreed. Oh and the fact that it is the most boring linear Zelda adventure ever (PH that is, not WW).
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2007, 02:48:08 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
I think the only disconnect is in your head, and that maybe if you simply played the game and left the analysis for later, you'd find that the stylus is a major non-issue. I never had any issue with the controls taking me out of the game, and I use an even bigger stylus than you: the log stylus that came as a pre-order bonus to Lost in Blue 2.

Becoming immersed in a hand-held game is quite difficult to begin with.  Headphones and turning off the lights help.  Having to use a stylus on the screen that the action takes place on pretty much ruins any immersion though.  Sure I could simply play a game, but that's not as much fun as connecting with the game world deeply while playing it.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2007, 03:26:59 PM »

Originally posted by: Rize
Becoming immersed in a hand-held game is quite difficult to begin with.  Headphones and turning off the lights help.  Having to use a stylus on the screen that the action takes place on pretty much ruins any immersion though.  Sure I could simply play a game, but that's not as much fun as connecting with the game world deeply while playing it.

So is this a criticism of handheld gaming in general, or a criticism of the DS in general? Either way, it sounds as if it isn't the game's fault, and is a situation that should logically arise in any game that makes use of the stylus extensively.

But even then the complaint doesn't appear in NWR's review of Trauma Center, which required frequent jabbings of the stylus to various sides of the screen, possibly obscuring views, nor is the criticism anywhere in sight in NWR's impressions on Ninja Gaiden DS, where the stylus slashing-on-enemies-tapping-on-places-to-move-towards has been praised.

I just can't believe the argument that simply using a stylus breaks immersion or blocks the screen, I don't think it is a criticism that has backing.

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack
Oh and the fact that it is the most boring linear Zelda adventure ever (PH that is, not WW).

*shakes fist* Wind Waker deserves that title!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2007, 03:31:42 PM »

Originally posted by: Rize

So is this a criticism of handheld gaming in general, or a criticism of the DS in general? Either way, it sounds as if it isn't the game's fault, and is a situation that should logically arise in any game that makes use of the stylus extensively.

But even then the complaint doesn't appear in NWR's review of Trauma Center, which required frequent jabbings of the stylus to various sides of the screen, possibly obscuring views, nor is the criticism anywhere in sight in NWR's impressions on Ninja Gaiden DS, where the stylus slashing-on-enemies-tapping-on-places-to-move-towards has been praised.

I just can't believe the argument that simply using a stylus breaks immersion or blocks the screen, I don't think it is a criticism that has backing.

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack
Oh and the fact that it is the most boring linear Zelda adventure ever (PH that is, not WW).

*shakes fist* Wind Waker deserves that title!

Wind Waker may have alot of complaints but it being linear was not one of them, heck most were the opposite, it was TOO open. Besides that it had tons of side quests to do, not to mention that even with its limited dungeon count, they were still far more complex and long than PH. Also I think I would drop the Trauma Center comparison because YOU are the character doing the operation, in PH you are controlling a character, there is a BIG difference. Ninja Gaiden DS, we shall see but I am not going to hold my breath.  

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2007, 04:33:48 PM »
But GP, ALL Zeldas are linear. Well, maybe not the first one, but the rest are linear games dressed up with things to distract you from the simple fact.

And I guess we'll see whether the same criticisms for Zelda: PH's critically-acclaimed control scheme rear up in Ninja Gaiden DS.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2007, 04:38:31 PM »

But GP, ALL Zeldas are linear. Well, maybe not the first one, but the rest are linear games dressed up with things to distract you from the simple fact.

And I guess we'll see whether the same criticisms for Zelda: PH's critically-acclaimed control scheme rear up in Ninja Gaiden DS.

Critically acclaimed 89% control scheme.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
RE: REVIEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2007, 04:46:47 PM »
Actually, let me just clarify, I agree with a lot of TYP's review. It may seem like all this controversy stemmed from that, but it hasn't! This is just me never letting go of a meaty piece of discussion and chewing and chewing and rrarrgmmmuffin!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2007, 04:48:04 PM »

Actually, let me just clarify, I agree with a lot of TYP's review. It may seem like all this controversy stemmed from that, but it hasn't! This is just me never letting go of a meaty piece of discussion and chewing and chewing and rrarrgmmmuffin!

Better be careful I may get serious! (Ok maybe not).

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2007, 05:07:42 PM »
Zelda PH ruined any chance of me picking up Ninja Giaden DS that's for sure.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2007, 05:26:08 PM »
Pssh. Immersion is way overrated. I'm not immersed in console games any more than I am in handheld ones, but I don't care about immersion.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2007, 05:31:32 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
Pssh. Immersion is way overrated. I'm not immersed in console games any more than I am in handheld ones, but I don't care about immersion.

It is all in your mind. So TAKE THAT.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
Re: REVIEWS: The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2008, 09:36:07 AM »
I think the biggest problem with this game is the lack of a decent overworld to explore.  I've taken a look into it, and really, I'm surprised you didn't make a bigger deal about this, TYP.  Don't get me wrong, I agree with several review points, but the game doesn't seem like an adventure to me, which should be a major Zelda feature, and I think the game should have been knocked down a point or two just for that.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2008, 09:39:33 AM »
I think Zelda should have at least these components:

1. Exploration/Secrets
2. Dungeons
3. Item/Weapon
4. Boss fights
5. Action gameplay instead of turn based
6. A sword as primary weapon

PH had all of these but I think it skimped on the exploration.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2008, 12:32:01 PM »
There wasn't a huge amount of exploration in PH, but it had a vastly higher land-to-water ration than WW, and it used its land portions exceptionally well, giving you exploration puzzles in each island, sometimes exceptionally well.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2008, 07:21:21 PM »
There wasn't a huge amount of exploration in PH, but it had a vastly higher land-to-water ration than WW, and it used its land portions exceptionally well, giving you exploration puzzles in each island, sometimes exceptionally well.

Was it exceptionally entertaining?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2008, 07:46:10 PM »
Yes, moreso than your posts.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32