Author Topic: Metroid Prime to Continue on the DS?  (Read 9430 times)

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Prime to Continue on the DS?
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2009, 04:46:33 PM »
Other M is about Samus as a character instead of exploration, it's made by Team Ninja instead of a proven team, how much more non-Metroid can you get?
Add Itagaki boob-physics and volleyball.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2009, 05:08:07 PM »
It's not being made by Team Ninja instead of a proven team; It's being made by Team Ninja AND a proven team, R&D1.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2009, 05:13:49 PM »
Other M is about Samus as a character instead of exploration, it's made by Team Ninja instead of a proven team, how much more non-Metroid can you get?
Add Itagaki boob-physics and volleyball.

I know you were kidding, but Itagaki doesn't work for Team Ninja anymore.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2009, 06:16:25 AM »
I think Other M will probably have core mechanics similar to older 2D Metroid games, but a completely different type of gameplay progression. 

The progression is the main draw of Metroid, removing it makes it no longer Metroid.

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2009, 01:23:47 PM »
and why is it Taboo to actually fly in her ship and use it.  There could be some insane/intense sessions where she has to go out onto the ship while flying super speeds to help repel some stuff.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2009, 01:24:37 PM »
Other M is made by the same guy who made the other Metroid games in the "main" series.  We don't know what it will end up like but it's the vision of the same guy.  Metroid Fusion is Metroid IV.  This would logically be Metroid V.

So in that sense Other M is really what the original Metroid team would have done if they took the series into 3D instead of Retro.  In that sense you could consider it more traditional.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2009, 03:33:10 PM »
and why is it Taboo to actually fly in her ship and use it.  There could be some insane/intense sessions where she has to go out onto the ship while flying super speeds to help repel some stuff.

That's Star Fox you're thinking about, not Metroid!

Other M is made by the same guy who made the other Metroid games in the "main" series.  We don't know what it will end up like but it's the vision of the same guy.  Metroid Fusion is Metroid IV.  This would logically be Metroid V.

So in that sense Other M is really what the original Metroid team would have done if they took the series into 3D instead of Retro.  In that sense you could consider it more traditional.

I sure hope they don't because Fusion crapped on everything that made Metroid.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2009, 03:39:28 PM »
I sure hope they don't because Fusion crapped on everything that made Metroid.

That's your opinion.  I think that it sacrificed a few key Metroid-esque traits but improved the actual gameplay significantly from Super Metroid.   Samus felt much more nimble and acrobatic in Fusion.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2009, 05:11:29 PM »
I really like Fusion, but there are a few times where the storyline bottlenecks your freedom.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2009, 07:29:03 PM »
I thought Fusion was a good example of a Nintendo sequel changing things up enough that it feels essential and not just more of the same.  It was a good way to avoid making More Super Metroid.  I didn't like it as much as Super Metroid but I still liked it a lot.

Though I did prefer Metroid: Zero Mission more which was not really all that creative.  Oh well.  But I admired the effort.  Fusion still felt like Metroid to me.  It wasn't like they turned it in some FPS deathmatch game!

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2009, 09:58:46 PM »
Metroid Fusion is Metroid IV.  This would logically be Metroid V.

My understanding is that Other M takes place (chronologically) before Metroid Fusion. So, I doubt they'll call it Metroid V.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2009, 01:17:57 AM »
A 2D Metroid game on the DS with the sort of visual detail found in Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story would be totally awesome. I'm just saying.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2009, 03:18:14 AM »
To me the core of Metroid is exploration. In Fusion you weren't exploring, you were following orders. Same in Prime 3. Without its core it's not Metroid, it's just a Samus-themed action game. The actual combat is just a minor part, something you do while exploring but the primary mental process about Metroid is "where does this lead?".