Author Topic: Extra Life: Jurassic Park  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
Extra Life: Jurassic Park
« on: May 04, 2011, 01:18:26 PM »

Watch out for rogue pelycosaurs!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/26219

It’s fairly obvious to even the casual reader of this site that I’m an enormous fan of all things prehistoric. If I could do it all over again, I’d live somewhere else and go to school to be a genuine paleontologist. This next sentence, then, shouldn’t surprise you: my favorite movie is Steven Spielberg’s antediluvian Jurassic Park, a film in which a highly anticipated theme park is forced to delay its grand opening due largely to a power outage. I saw the film when I was but a lad of just 10 years, and my enthusiasm for the film knew no bounds. After that, I quickly began accruing a substantial mass of toys, comics, tie-in books, posters, and various other paraphernalia related to my newly minted favorite film.  Among these acquisitions was, as one might assume, the Ocean-developed NES game. I would also come to own the Game Boy version and the Game Boy version’s sequel (“The Chaos Continues”). Despite the game’s laundry list of faults, I enjoyed it immensely as a child.

But I thought Samuel L. Jackson went to turn the power back on?

You play as Alan Grant as he battles to escape Isla Nublar. This involves shooting dinosaurs, going into blind underbrush where, of course, dinosaurs lurk, and collecting keycards with which to unlock doors. Interestingly, you have to find and destroy dinosaur eggs in order to earn keycards, and each level begins with a mission given to you by Mr. DNA (who, as you’ll recall, is “in your blood”). During your Mesozoic walkabout, you’ll have to survive a Triceratops stampede, restore power to the island, and reboot the park’s computer systems. Somewhere near the end of the game, Alan decides to destroy all the raptor nests on the island—reminiscent of the book’s plot—using grenades. You’ll find yourself traveling down a river while avoiding Brachiosaurus heads (must be a deep river), exploring what appears to be an active volcano, helping Lexine survive the game’s only encounter with Tyrannosaurus, and caught completely off-guard by rogue Dimetrodons and stegosaurs.

Dinosaurs tended to lay their eggs in unusual, arbitrary places

The game is notable in that it took full advantage of the NES’ ability to display the color brown. Almost everything in the game is one shade or brown or another: Alan himself, most of the dinosaurs, the ground, some of the vegetation, and the buildings (and their interiors) are the color of (healthy) poop. Alan himself is capable of moving in eight directions, jumping weakly, and shooting things. He has different guns that require unique ammo types that vary largely based on strength alone. The island’s dinosaurs have found an interesting way around the Lysine Contingency: they consume bullets of all types, which as we all know are very high in lysine. Whenever Alan manages to shoot down a rampaging raptor or scuttling compy, their gut contents are invariably preserved, shielded from damage by the enormous meat-sack surrounding them. Since he is in the field without support, Dr. Grant must make use of these acid-etched bullets to refresh his weapon stock. Ick.

The game’s menagerie of prehistoric beasties is, for the most part, totally invincible to damage. Something about that West African frog DNA turned most of the island’s dinosaurs into Wolverine-like mutants. Of the dozen dinosaurs (and one pelycosaur) you’ll encounter, only three can be killed: Compsognathus, Velociraptor (actually Deinonychus), and “Dilophosaurus.” The rest are wholly immune to your projectile-based weaponry. Two of them—Stegosaurus and Dimetrodon—simply rush out of the brush and stampede over you without warning, killing Alan instantly. The game’s single killable boss, Tyrannosaurus rex, never actually dies. From what I recall, you just empty its invisible HP gauge, which takes like ten minutes, and it just kind of bumbles away, leaving Lexine free to be irritating for an hour and a half before miraculously saving the day thanks to her knowledge of obscure computer software. Tim, the Human Piece of Toast, doesn’t fare any better as,left to his own devices, he can’t even manage to notice, much less avoid, a gaggle of Triceratops despite the clearly marked paths between animals. He’s like a parakeet, kept in a cage since hatching, yet suddenly let loose in the wild; the usual concepts of “danger” do not apply.

Compsognathus, as this game shows, looked kind of like a walking fetus

Of course, it’s not all wine and roses at InGen, and the game definitely has problems. Typical of so many NES titles, Jurassic Park lacked a battery save, but Ocean also forgot to include a password system. The game isn’t super-long, but still, by 1993, developers should’ve figured out how to cram one of these things into their games. By modern standards, the game is considerably unforgiving; Alan has very limited HP, a set number of lives, and while you can continue once or twice, Game Over takes you right back to the title screen. The game’s most abundant ammo type is pretty terrible, and as the game goes on, ammo-draining raptors become more and more common, to the point where you’re facing raptors exclusively while snuffing out their nests. Item boxes include med packs, ammo, and temporary West African frog DNA. Unfortunately, you might also get an automatic death or grievous injury—like the Poison Mushrooms in Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels. Thankfully, the item boxes are not randomized, so you eventually learn which ones to avoid.

While there’s probably no hope that the game will ever see renewed life on the Virtual Console, I certainly would appreciate the opportunity to re-play it, if for no other reason than to see how much muscle memory I retain. I recall beating the game many times in my childhood through plenty of blood, sweat, and tears. Of course, there were plenty of other Jurassic Park games: a graphically superior version for the SNES, a graphically inferior version for the Game Boy, a graphically in-between version for the Amiga, and a completely different side-scrolling platformer for the Genesis in which you could choose to play as Alan Grant or a Velociraptor. If even one of these games somehow made it to the Virtual Console or Virtual Handheld, it would be a Jurassic dream come true.

"Mr. Hammond, after careful consideration, I've decided NOT to endorse your park"

This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Extra Life: Jurassic Park
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 03:24:04 PM »
I never played the NES version, but I played a LOT of the Super NES version (not that you had a choice, considering there's no save system).  I remember liking the game, though not so much the awkward Mode 7 First-Person sequences.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 09:25:34 AM »
I remember beating the SNES game.  It took me about 6 straight hours of playing, because I didn't map everything out and it was difficult to remember everything...but I was very proud of that win.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 10:55:16 AM »
I never played the NES version but I played the Gameboy version which if memory serves from the Nintendo Power issues I had they were pretty much the same game. There was a stage select code you entered you had to enter really quick at the title screen which was a nice option. I too was a giant fan of Jurassic Park movie. I remember one day where it was showing at a theatre nearby and it was a matinee so I basically watched it many times in a row and I had to walk home since I was suppose to be picked up at a certain time. I also played the Genesis verson and I'd say that that version was the best out of the games at the time. I remember making it to the final fight as Alan Grant and I was playing it with friends and I was saying to just wait till the T-Rex came out and beat the Raptors because that is what happened in the movie at the end. Of course the game didn't work out that way it was far less complicated than that. Using the enviroment to beat the boss. I rember liking playing as the Raptor more than Grant as I think most players would agree. The SNES version was kinda confusing at first but I think that it captured the feel of the island and movie the best.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 02:06:19 PM »
My brothers and I rented the SNES version and some other game one weekend.  We get getting stuck on parts where you have to use your cattle prod to power the door and open it and then get through the open door before it closed.  We could never get though the damn door!  It would slam shut so fast!  We got through like once or twice.  In retrospect it was probably because we were stupid kids who can't control a game worth a crap but we grew sick of Jurassic Park REAL fast and switched to whatever other title it was we rented.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 10:14:02 AM »
I remember being very jealous of the Genesis Jurassic Park because it looked so awesome, but actually I didn't think it played very well...it was really hard, and I really hated the Genesis controller with a passion.  I wish I could play the game with a SNES controller and see if it played better.

Anyway, the SNES version was actually a fairly good game, but the FPS elements weren't great, and ended up hurting the game.  I loved the 2 or 3 encounters with the T-REX in the SNES game...it a fun and strangely epic experience...it always got my heart pumping when it happened.

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 05:55:11 PM »
I may still have the game boy cartridge lying around somewhere.  I never got past the second level, it was way too hard.
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 05:59:33 PM »
I remember being very jealous of the Genesis Jurassic Park because it looked so awesome, but actually I didn't think it played very well...it was really hard, and I really hated the Genesis controller with a passion.  I wish I could play the game with a SNES controller and see if it played better.

Anyway, the SNES version was actually a fairly good game, but the FPS elements weren't great, and ended up hurting the game.  I loved the 2 or 3 encounters with the T-REX in the SNES game...it a fun and strangely epic experience...it always got my heart pumping when it happened.

How could you hate the Genesis controller? The 6-button Genesis pad was easily the best controller for 2D games there ever was up until the Classic Controller Pro.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 09:26:45 PM »

How could you hate the Genesis controller? The 6-button Genesis pad was easily the best controller for 2D games there ever was up until the Classic Controller Pro.

I didn't care much for the Genesis controller, either.  6 primary face buttons is just 2 buttons too many for me to keep track of, even today.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 09:30:38 PM »
I suppose it could take some getting used to for people more accustomed to something like the SNES pad, which was pretty much the prototype for the modern controller. The Genesis was the first console I ever owned, though, so I never had that trouble.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Toruresu

• Lusts round Birdos
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 08:31:41 AM »
I played and beat the SNES version. Unlike most people here it seems, I loved the fps parts! It felt like a scary game, entering the buildings and being scared of raptors. What got me angry was the ending, all that work just for that?
Currently Playing:
Currently Reading:

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 07:29:58 PM »
I own this game on NES, I remember it being one of the toughest games I ever beat. When I finally saw those credits, which if I recall are displayed on signboards and you can walk around to view them, I made sure to savour them as I knew it'd be the only time I'd ever get to see them.