Author Topic: Nintendo Channel Update Live in North America  (Read 6715 times)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Nintendo Channel Update Live in North America
« on: September 14, 2009, 01:40:38 PM »
The Nintendo Channel gets a brand new interface and several new features. UPDATED with official Press Release, and Nintendo Week show information.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=19942

A few months ago, Nintendo updated the Everyone's Nintendo Channel in Japan. Today, Nintendo released this update in North America. If you try to launch an older version of the Nintendo Channel, you will be prompted to go to the Wii Shop Channel and download the update. The new channel boasts many new features and enhancements, such as USB keyboard support for text input.    

Nintendo is also premiering Nintendo Week, a weekly show dedicated to Nintendo news.  This week's show features a story on Mario & Luigi 3, a look at the development of Guitar Hero 5 for Wii, and a preview of the new Nintendo DSi colors and DSi games.    

When you access the updated the channel for the first time, you must choose between high video quality and normal video quality. If for some reason you need to change the quality later, you are able to do so in the channel settings.    

The interface has received an overhaul and is now much easier to navigate. The available videos are prominently displayed in the center, and if you hover over the listing with your cursor you will see the listing expand to display more information about the video.  If the channel is left idle, it will automatically cycle to the next page of videos. Each page contains six videos, and the top of the channel contains a Wii button to go back to the Wii menu along with a wrench icon to access the channel settings.    

The bottom of the channel contains six buttons. New Arrivals shows new game releases and new video releases on the Nintendo Channel. Find Titles for You allows one to search for games by Name or Category, and also lets you view more information about a title. DS Download Service allows you to download DS demos from the channel.    

Recommend Titles is self-explanatory, allowing you to recommend Wii or DS titles that you have played for at least an hour.  To recommend a DS title, you need to have the game card in your DS and then follow the instructions displayed on the channel.      

Everyone's Recommendations shows games that others have recommended.  The recommendation system now ranks games with medal designations of bronze, silver, gold, and platinum.    

Records displays your gameplay records, showing how much time you have spent on a game or Wii channel and how many times you have booted it up. Recommendation Records displays all the recommendations that you have made (you also have the option to delete all the recommendations). Finally, the Favorites option displays a list of games that you have marked as your favorites in the channel.    

The update is available now.    

NEW-AND-IMPROVED NINTENDO CHANNEL GETS UPDATED FEATURES AND WEEKLY SHOW    

Sept. 14, 2009 - The Wii™ console's Nintendo Channel is getting a makeover. On Sept. 14, the channel, which provides users with videos and information about current and upcoming Nintendo products, re-launches with a new look and feel. Some of the upgrades include higher-quality streaming videos, lists of top games that other viewers recommend and a new ability to rate and recommend Nintendo DS™ games.    

Current features of the Nintendo Channel will remain, including Nintendo DS demo downloads and an extensive lineup of videos about Wii and Nintendo DS games.    

As part of the update, Nintendo Channel will also premiere Nintendo Week, a weekly, hosted series about what's happening in the world of Nintendo. The premiere episode includes an in-depth look at Mario and Luigi™: Bowser's Inside Story, an interview with the developers behind the Wii version of Guitar Hero 5, plus coverage of the new Nintendo DSi colors, Nintendo DSiWare games and other surprises.    

Nintendo Channel is available free of charge to Wii owners, and can be downloaded by going to the Wii Shop Channel and following the on-screen instructions. For more information about the Nintendo Channel, please visit www.NintendoChannel.com.

PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Channel Update Live in North America
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »
This would be fantastic if they bothered putting up DS demos that were worth playing (I think the last one was Rhythm Heaven back in April).
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 03:21:39 PM »
Nintendo finally learns moving pictures!  Hooray!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 03:47:17 PM »
Is that why my slot is glowing?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 03:49:30 PM »
That's actually cross-promotion for the new Tron movie.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 03:57:13 PM »
This would be fantastic if they bothered putting up DS demos that were worth playing (I think the last one was Rhythm Heaven back in April).

And/or demos more frequently than every 3 months.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 05:28:37 PM »
I wish Infernal Monkey was the host of the Nintendo Show.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 06:43:28 PM »
Sounds interesting, it is nice they're finally utilizing some of the data gathered.
Will this update also use less space in memory like the Internet Channel?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 07:04:11 PM »
Sounds interesting, it is nice they're finally utilizing some of the data gathered.
Will this update also use less space in memory like the Internet Channel?

Yes it does.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 07:19:26 PM »
It'd be nice if I could rate most of my games.  But I can't.  Because my Wii says I haven't played any of them.

Keep rubbing salt in the wounds, Nintendo.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 07:21:24 PM »
Nintendo finally learns zip files!  Hooray!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 07:46:35 PM »
This is an excellent update. The higher quality videos are GREATLY appreciated. The new "Nintendo Week" show is painfully goofy, but it could be entertaining with some work. At least it was nice to see Karthik Bala -- he's a great guy and makes great games.

I also appreciate the front-and-center link for DS demos.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 09:08:57 PM by Jonnyboy117 »
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 09:10:22 PM »
It'd be nice if I could rate most of my games.  But I can't.  Because my Wii says I haven't played any of them.

You have to play a game for at least an hour to rate it. Have you recently had your system memory wiped? Or have you not allowed Nintendo Channel to collect data on your playing time? Both of those could cause this problem.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 09:23:01 PM »

You have to play a game for at least an hour to rate it. Have you recently had your system memory wiped? Or have you not allowed Nintendo Channel to collect data on your playing time? Both of those could cause this problem.
Ummm...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 09:30:35 PM »

Keep rubbing salt in the wounds, Jonnyboy.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 09:32:21 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 11:22:21 PM »
I like the new update, specially the records section.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 12:49:21 AM »
The new channel is definitely better than before. Better layout, more organized, better quality videos, etc. The new records section is nice and revealed some surprises to me, though I already knew what my three most-played games were going to be.

The new "Nintendo Week" show is painfully goofy, but it could be entertaining with some work.
I'm just glad that it has a male and female host.

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 10:43:47 AM »
The records section..   How many reports is nintendo going to see "Usb Loader" lauches and channel time.   

eheheh

Maybe it will actually get nintendo to make the actually usb hd support the originally announced with the revolution.   Because really, I have never liked the idea of a disc spinning systems.  The only one I have that still works is a great 1x speed Turbo Duo

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 03:24:14 PM »
The homebrew channel apparently gets reported as Zelda TP.

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 11:01:12 AM »
does it really?  thats funny...   I tried to update yesterday but it said to try again later..

so today.. today I get to see ... well everything I saw before, except now with goofy show!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2009, 01:55:27 PM »
I kept trying to update my Nintendo Channel yesterday and kept getting error code: 204038

Anybody else have that issue?