Author Topic: MGS Twin Snakes Bundle for Japan  (Read 2639 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
MGS Twin Snakes Bundle for Japan
« on: January 16, 2004, 12:25:14 PM »
Man, the Japanese always seem to get the awesome deals.

Link: http://gameonline.jp/news/2004/01/15028.html (Japanese)

Konami and Nintendo are preparing a special collection for those looking to pick up Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes when it hits Japan on March 11.

For 21,000 Yen ($200-ish), you'll get a special MGS:TT GameCube, the game, a special 44-page booklet on the game series, and a special disc which includes, among other things,  the original NES version of Metal Gear.

While Japan gets all these nifty MGS goodies for the release of the game there, we here in America will have to settle for getting the game a week before they do, on March the 3rd.

Steven says: Uh-oh!  The truck have started to move!  
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline savanna03

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:MGS Twin Snakes Bundle for Japan
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 03:23:38 PM »
hmmm, i would rather want to trade release dates with JAPAN if it meant to have a special collector.  comon, the original METAL GEAR game for free, arggggggghhh...
even in the message board, ppl seem 2 be intimidated by me.  it feels like im da slim shady him self 'cuz they had 2 use a microscope everytime i post...  blah they got nothing on me other than attacking my paragraphs...

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 03:40:37 PM »
*ahem*, how about Konami and Nintendo pull a Zelda! If you pre-order, you get a bonus disc with the NES version of Metal Gear, part 2 that never made it to the states, and either a demo to tide us over, or show some footage from upcoming games (Though I don't think Konami's going to give more 'Cube love aside from a Yu-Gi-Oh or something...). I doubt it, hey I can dream right?
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2004, 03:55:35 PM »

Originally posted by: Djunknown
*ahem*, how about Konami and Nintendo pull a Zelda! If you pre-order, you get a bonus disc with the NES version of Metal Gear, part 2 that never made it to the states, and either a demo to tide us over, or show some footage from upcoming games (Though I don't think Konami's going to give more 'Cube love aside from a Yu-Gi-Oh or something...). I doubt it, hey I can dream right?

"Snake's Revenge: Metal Gear 2" was released in the states.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: MGS Twin Snakes Bundle for Japan
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 04:02:14 PM »
I have both Metal Gear and Snakes Revenge, and they're password-based, not batteries, so this doesn't bother me.  Djunknown was referring to the other Metal Gear games that were never released on NES.  I believe the system was called MSX or something.

Also, no need to go fretting, there's plenty of time for Konami USA to bring the disc over, but I doubt we'll see the special edition hardware.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004, 04:43:01 PM »
Snake's Revenge is not Metal Gear 2. Metal Gear 2 was only released in Japan and I think only on MSX.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2004, 07:52:16 PM »

Also, no need to go fretting, there's plenty of time for Konami USA to bring the disc over, but I doubt we'll see the special edition hardware.

I sure hope the disc comes over here... I just love these bonus discs! I already have two Cubes, so that won't bother me (unless it is pee-your-pants wicked)  
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2004, 08:38:58 PM »
Why not make it more complete like the Zelda Disc and include MGS as well? Surely if the Dreamcast could emulate a PS properly the GC could.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2004, 02:34:58 PM »

...and a special disc which includes, among other things, the original NES version of Metal Gear.

That should actually be, "the NES version of the original Metal Gear."

The MSX was a type of personal computer available in Japan and a few other regions (not the USA) in the 80's, and was very popular as a videogame platform.

The original Metal Gear was made for the MSX in 1987, then quickly ported to the Famicom, and then quickly translated to the NES, all in the same year. People who have played the MSX version say that the NES version was severely watered down. And the English translation? Well, "the truck have started to move" is rather infamous in the videogame world.

But, it was still a good game, so it did really well on the NES (like just about everything else). So Konami made a sequel to it in the form of an action game called Snake's Revenge: Metal Gear 2, and published it under their "Ultra Games" label (the system where Nintendo was letting Konami make twice as many NES games as anyone else). As far as I know, Snake's Revenge is only available in America. It came out in 1990.

Also in 1990, Hideo Kojima finally came out with Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake on the MSX (or it may have been the MSX2, or something like that, but you get the idea). It's never been translated or ported.

In the 1990's, Kojima made Snatcher for a couple of systems that have never been popular in America. It was a mostly text-based futuristic detective novel kind of game. It set itself in the future of the Metal Gear world, but wasn't really a Metal Gear game though. It appeared in America on the Sega CD. I would recommend it extremely highly, but I wouldn't suggest you spend the kind of money that it demands on eBay.

Snatcher had a sequel called Policenauts. Even though it's supposed to be the future of the Metal Gear world, it was sneakily referred to a few times in Metal Gear Solid.

Kojima also released a funny/weird "super-deformed" (anime's big head, tiny body look) version of Snatcher on the MSX called SD Snatcher.

In 1998, Konami released Metal Gear Solid on the PlayStation (first in Japan, the the USA). It referred to the first two (Kojima-made) games, but it seems that most Americans didn't need to understand those parts to enjoy the game.

In 1999 Konami released Metal Gear Solid: Integral for the PlayStation in Japan. It featured a bunch of extras like a first-person shooting mode, being able to play through the game as the Ninja, and a huge pile of VR missions (Metal Gear-style puzzle challenges performed in a cyberspace training world).

Later in 99, they let Americans have just the added VR missions by releasing Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions over here.

In 2000, Kojima made Metal Gear: Ghost Babel for the GameBoy Color. It was just called "Metal Gear Solid" in the States. I haven't really had a chance to play it much. Supposedly it's a "real" part of the Metal Gear story, it just doesn't get referred to by the other games (except for like, an occasional poster on the walls in MGS2).

In 2001, they released Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty for the PS2. Kojima finally acknowleged that his games have performed far better in America than in Japan (so bring over the rest of them already!), so we got rewarded with the earlier, slightly more buggy version than Japan for once.

It's probably not a spoiler anymore to mention that Kojima introduced a new (and widely hated) character in this game. Supposedly when you were playing the expanded VR missions of Integral and VR Missions, you weren't playing them as Snake. Or as yourself. You were playing them as the new guy, preparing for his role in MGS2.

Microsoft was on the scene by now, and wanted to make an impact, so they paid Konami to give them a timed-exclusive on a superior version of MGS2. So, they released Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance in late 2002. This game clearly illustrated how bad it is to port to/from the PS2, and it was clearly inferior to the PS2 version in a number of areas. But it had some extra features. In early 2003, MGS2: Substance went back to the PS2, extras and all.

Since I've mentioned practically everything else, I should mention that Kojima has also made Zone of the Enders for the PS2 (a too-short flying-mech-combat game which probably owes more than half of it's sales to the playable MGS2 demo that came with it), and a sequel to it (which I haven't played), also on the PS2, and Boktai, the sun-powered vampire hunting game on the GameBoy Advance. I think that's all of them. Aside from the Twin Snakes, which we should already have known about, if we're reading this thread.  
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2004, 04:02:21 PM »
Not sure what it was called in Japan, but the GBC game was eventually renamed from Ghost Babel to simply "Metal Gear Solid" when it was released in the U.S.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!