Author Topic: 2nd Annual NWR Live Podcast Telethon for Child's Play  (Read 30538 times)

Offline nhaines

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
Re: 2nd Annual NWR Live Podcast Telethon for Child's Play
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 02:15:55 PM »
I was looking forward to donating to Child's Play this year... since I have limited funds and they have no overhead, I always enjoy contributing to them solely.  So I was more than happy to donate through the NRW link.  Now to see if I can get my company to match the contribution!

I donated $50, but I hope anyone who can will donate even just $5 if they can.  It's for a great cause and a lot of little donations really add up fast.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 02:23:39 PM »
Thanks for donating.
Every contributions helps get us to...
*Looks Ups*
She na ni gans!
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 02:43:37 PM »
Nice! I don't have $50 to drop right now, but did throw $10 into the pot earlier. Here's hoping that others make the same effort to donate whatever fits into their budget. Remember: it's not just for charity, but also to hear Gollum sing God Save the Queen at the end of the day... or maybe we're donating not to be subjected to that?

If there really are 5000 listeners then we can run the table for less than $1 apiece. C'mon everybody!
 ;D
NNID: ejamer

Offline nhaines

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2011, 06:55:27 PM »
$10 is a great amount!  I've always tried to donate something that hurts, and a couple years I couldn't donate anything.  But it's a great charity for sure.  I wish I could donate more this year but as it is I'm making up for a couple missed years.

I don't know how often the status updates, though... it hasn't changed since before I donated.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 08:00:49 PM »
It'll update once the donation clears. I don't think mine's going to hit until the day of the event since it had to go through currency conversion.

Not-so-Phantom Edit From The Shameless Promotion Department: Like last year, I got a thread on the NeoGAF rolling. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32727070
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 09:50:25 PM by Shaymin »
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2011, 08:39:47 AM »
Hey, if the shameless promotion department good enough for Car Talk its good enough for me.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2011, 11:41:37 AM »
Wow,
We've had some big spenders.  Really jumped there. 
Lets see that will mean...
*Looks Up*
"Listener "Mail" Call-In Bonanza"

Congratulations All!

$2000 more and we can start to win those covenant NWR Bucks !!!!

Offline oksoda

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2011, 11:56:45 AM »
And not to jump the gun, but we are exploring the ability to have listeners compete in the game of NWR Jeopardy. So, that's an incentive.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2011, 05:56:52 PM »
So far it appears that the Review Roundtable for Zelda might feature two prominent 10s... wonder if we can confirm that.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2011, 07:05:31 PM »
I can now confirm that Jeff Kalles from Penny Arcade will be joining us, probably for the call in bonanza and the GameCube retrospective. Jeff worked at Nintendo for much of the GC years so he has an interesting perspective. Jeff was also on last year's telethon and appeared on the Geist RetroActive since he was producer on that game, among others.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2011, 07:49:07 PM »
I picked up prizes yesterday.  Last year's listeners will already guess some (most) of my donations, but this year, I picked up something extra awesome.  Ideally, you should all already have it, but I'm guessing you don't.  Which means you suck.  This prize will make you not suck.  :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2011, 08:52:29 PM »
I picked up prizes yesterday.  Last year's listeners will already guess some (most) of my donations, but this year, I picked up something extra awesome.  Ideally, you should all already have it, but I'm guessing you don't.  Which means you suck.  This prize will make you not suck.  :D
Its Skylanders isn't it?

We're almost to "Listener "Mail" Call-In Bonanza"!

Come on everyone we Can Do IT before the date!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2011, 12:13:50 AM »
Beginning Friday morning, Billy will be on the new episode of Weekend Confirmed, pimping this event hardcore. :-) As a fan of the show, I am really thrilled about this!
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2011, 12:57:18 AM »
I can also confirm that for the Famicast hour we will have 2, possibly 3 members of the 8-4 Play podcast!

Coupled with the promise of 8-bit tunes and Onsen talk, I can't see how anyone wouldn't want to donate enough to get us there! ;)
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2011, 01:16:04 AM »
Made a donation!  I don't know how much of the live event that I'll be able to listen to due to family stuff, etc., but I look forward to trying to catch an hour or so of it.   I hope that a good bit of it will make it to downloadable format. 

Either way, I'm excited, and it's for a good cause.  C'mon and donate, everyone!  I think the goal is definitely reachable!
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2011, 01:27:25 AM »
Due to a prior engagement, I won't be able to listen to it live. I look forward to listening to the podcast(s) though, last year it was really good.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2011, 01:29:26 AM »
Its Skylanders isn't it?

Nada.  I love you guys, but if I was going to throw $70 down, it'd be directly towards the fundraiser and not as a prize.  It was a little something special between $10 and $20. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2011, 02:19:23 AM »
Its Skylanders isn't it?

Nada.  I love you guys, but if I was going to throw $70 down, it'd be directly towards the fundraiser and not as a prize.  It was a little something special between $10 and $20. :D

Were you referring to the awesome Layton DVD? That would certainly be a worthwhile prize.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2011, 03:29:14 AM »
lol... hadn't noticed that the actual article had been updated. :D

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2011, 03:38:20 AM »
Interesting note: the article was updated with a list of potential prizes, but the forum post didn't pick up the changes. So anyone looking here wouldn't be able to tell.

And that is an awesome prize. Very generous of you!

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2011, 09:26:16 AM »
Have there been any reviews of the Child's Play Charity?

I looked and I could only find the words of the actual people who run the charity and that doesn't mean jack.  With the huge miscellaneous fees a lot of places have I don't give money to anything unless it has been vetted.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2011, 10:14:55 AM »
Have there been any reviews of the Child's Play Charity?

I looked and I could only find the words of the actual people who run the charity and that doesn't mean jack.  With the huge miscellaneous fees a lot of places have I don't give money to anything unless it has been vetted.
I've seen a lot of Testimonial. Also here is the Wiki for it.

I've never seen anyone come out and say that the money, games, etc. don't 100% go to the hospitals.

Ebay has Verified it for what its worth.
Child's Play on Great Nonprofits
Here is Child's Play Guidestar page.  You can look at there 990 Tax Form here.

I've given to them for years.  This is the same group of people who do PAX.

Edit: About an hour of research on this... :/
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 10:31:27 AM by Ceric »

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2011, 10:18:15 AM »
I have preliminary confirmation that PGC legend Rick Powers will be calling in at some point!
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2011, 02:06:08 PM »
NIS America is graciously donating a James Jones NIS America RPG Prize Pack featuring Sakura Wars Wii, Phantom Brave Wii, and Atelier Annie DS!
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2011, 06:52:53 PM »
Not making any promises, but I'm gonna try to call in and at least listen to a bit of the show. Don't really know my schedule for tomorrow yet. Revenge of Theremin Hero?
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.