Author Topic: GoldenEye Designer Comments on Wii Remake  (Read 2139 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
GoldenEye Designer Comments on Wii Remake
« on: September 04, 2010, 02:01:19 PM »

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/23979

In an interview with Official Nintendo Magazine, original GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark designer and producer, and former Rare employee Martin Hollis talks about Activision's Wii remake.

He believes that the real reason for the game's existence is profit rather than passion, and doubts that the new title will do justice to the beloved N64 title. "I imagine it is a business decision isn't it? This name is valuable, let's use it. I find it hard to picture Activision's top management being excited about the original and wanting to do it justice. In fact, I find it hard to imagine them being excited about any game. It's my perception that they are trying to be EA, only more so. I think they are doing a fine job at that." - Hollis told the publication.

Regardless of his actual feelings towards Activision, Hollis praised Eurocom, the developers of the Wii title. "I know and like Eurocom," he said. "I think they are a good company. I'm confident they have done their very best."

The full interview will be published in the next issue of ONM UK.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
Re: GoldenEye Designer Comments on Wii Remake
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 03:26:04 PM »
After such a robust output of Wii games, I have the highest confidence that Activision will do GoldenEye justice.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 04:47:23 PM »
Of course it was made with making a profit in mind. They're trying to sell this game based on name and nostalgia. However, after playing Dead Space: Extraction, I do agree with him that Eurocom can put together a good game.
"Nothing tips like a cow."

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 05:35:01 PM »
I am sorry for bringing up the "R" word, but the way I see it is that atleast some thing is being done with the Golden Eye franchise instead of leaving it to rot and fester like it has been doing since 1998. Yes, Activison  is milking the nostalgic factor of the game, but isn't that what all game companies do with profit incentive.

I just think Rare and Microsoft are butt-hurt that they are not getting in on the Goldeneye remake. You could bet your last dollar that Microsoft would be liking their lips if it thought that port of this game was coming to the 360.

I keep saying, but I hope that this game is a success and it motivates all the parties to do something with the older Goldeneye game.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 05:53:21 PM »
I just think Rare and Microsoft are butt-hurt that they are not getting in on the Goldeneye remake. You could bet your last dollar that Microsoft would be liking their lips if it thought that port of this game was coming to the 360.

I don't think Microsoft really cares all that much about getting a remake of a game that's worse than Perfect Dark, a game they already have a version of on XBLA and can make new installments in whenever they want, made by people who have no relation to the original game for a company like Activision.

This game is a pathetic cash grab by Activision to try and milk nostalgia and everyone knows it.  Hopefully for those buying the game, it'll be a decent game.  As for me, if I want to play Goldeneye I'll throw in my N64 cart for a few hours.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 07:55:02 PM »
Eh, I'd say that a lot of videogames these days are made out of profit over passion, and I personally don't think there was ever a time where a majority (50% or more) of games were made because of passion for design. If this weren't the case, we would have seen a lot more than nothing but sequels at E3.

As for this game, does Activision label it as a "remake" or a "re-imagining"? I thought it was the latter. I'm not expecting it to be anything like the Nintendo 64 game, but it's hard to figure out if it legally could be.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 09:28:08 PM »
I think the producer described it as if they were making a present day game based on the movie, rather than just re-making the original game. In fact, in interviews they have made it a point to say that it is NOT a remake of the N64 game.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 02:53:44 AM »
I think the producer described it as if they were making a present day game based on the movie, rather than just re-making the original game. In fact, in interviews they have made it a point to say that it is NOT a remake of the N64 game.
And yet the promotional video shown at E3 described it as an homage to the original.

You know, with classic multiplayer modes like splitscreen and paintball!!!

Yeah, I don't have high hopes for this one.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 03:05:55 AM »
And yet the promotional video shown at E3 described it as an homage to the original.

You know, with classic multiplayer modes like splitscreen and paintball!!!

Yeah, I don't have high hopes for this one.

They're making as many allusions to the N64 game as they can without getting sued. They can't call it a remake of the original, because they don't have the rights to do that, but they're throwing in everything they can that isn't protected by Rare's copyright.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 03:26:01 AM »
By the way the previews sound it'll at least be a decent exclusive FPS, something the Wii has been needing for a while.