Author Topic: Freedom Fighters Now Available  (Read 1779 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
Freedom Fighters Now Available
« on: October 02, 2003, 11:40:29 AM »
Take back New York from the communists in this new EA game.

EA Ships Freedom Fighters on Multiple Platforms

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 1, 2003--Your mission is to lead an army of urban guerillas now that Electronic Arts has shipped Freedom Fighters(TM) on the PlayStation(R)2 computer entertainment system, Xbox(TM) video game system from Microsoft, the Nintendo GameCube(TM), and PC under its EA GAMES(TM) brand. Based on an alternate history in which the Soviet Union won the Cold War and invaded modern-day New York City, Freedom Fighters lets you join and eventually lead a revolution in this third-person action game that unfolds in the besieged streets of New York.

Players assume the role of average New Yorker Christopher Stone who evolves into a fearless patriot as he recruits an army of freedom fighters to battle the Soviet Red Army throughout the City. Players will use urban warfare to fight through the City streets moving from outside to indoors. Because wars are not won alone, a key component of the game depends on the player's ability to recruit and lead fellow New Yorkers in the battle against the Red Menace. An intuitive "Recruit and Command" system allows players to recruit and give orders to up to 12 fighters and execute critical missions at the touch of a single button. This charisma-based recruiting system rewards points for rescuing freedom fighters and achieving mission goals, allowing the player to recruit more fighters as the game progresses.

Stone and his recruits engage the Red Army with various tools of the revolution, including single and two-handed weapons, Molotov cocktails, and unarmed combat maneuvers in their quest for freedom. Freedom Fighters includes four player split-screen multiplayer support on the console versions.

Freedom Fighters was developed by Copenhagen, Denmark-based Io Interactive and is being co-published by EA Partners under the EA GAMES brand. The game is rated "T" (Teen) by the ESRB and has a US MSRP of $49.99 for the console versions and $39.99 for PC. The official game website is www.freedomfighters.ea.com.

Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
RE: Freedom Fighters Now Available
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2003, 12:26:16 AM »
What a dumb idea for a game. Just awhole lot of anti left-wing/communist propaganda.

If they're from Copenhagen as they calim why dont they make a game where the Nazi's never had to surrender modern day Denmark after WWII and these freedom Fighters have to free Copenhagen.

Of course, taht was probably their original intenet but I'm guessing some stupid folk at EA didn't even know where Copenhagen was and would've made them change the game to New York.

The whole idea just boggls belief. Wins the cold war? How the hell could you win that? It was an arms race not a war, the only way either side could've won would've been blowing the crap out of the other with their ICBM's, not some land based invasion where they decided to just be happy with capturing one city about as far away from their sphere of influence as possible.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Freedom Fighters Now Available
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2003, 05:40:15 AM »
wow man you need to chill out a little.

its a GAME, it is make believe.

It is also a great game for those who havent played it.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Freedom Fighters Now Available
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 08:45:46 PM »
I kind of agree with Rabicle. For me, the subject just hits a little too close to home. Is it art imitating life or the other way around?

The fact that I (And probably a good chunk of fellow PGC readers) were born in an age, where all it took was an order from the president, a phone call, and 30 minutes to world destruction, just makes my hair stand on end. Though by that time Gorbechev and the Party were going broke, the possibilty was always there...

I also concur with cubedcanuck and just take a deep breath and say: Its only a game. Hopefully, it will be light on political philosphy and heavy on the action. Last thing we need is preach intolerance of how other people think.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
RE: Freedom Fighters Now Available
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2003, 05:48:41 AM »
If you guys are still gonna read this, keep in mind I love going overboard with fanatism for communism. I like the idea of the system, I just used this as an excuse to go crazy for a little while. The game seems to take a pretty ridiculus idea but if it's a good game as you say, I'll forgive it.
So basically, to explain my actions, I'm a nutter, i'm left wing, and the game has a silly concept, which is forgivable cos you said it was good (ill trust you)
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.