Author Topic: Crosswords Plus Preview  (Read 2091 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Crosswords Plus Preview
« on: August 24, 2012, 12:54:36 PM »

Crosswords Plus will bring you a whole bunch of crossword puzzles via download, StreetPass, SpotPass, and more.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/preview/31387

Crosswords Plus is coming to 3DS in both retail and download form on October 1.

The sequel to Crosswords DS, a 2008 release, Crosswords Plus features more than 1,000 puzzles, including humongous Giant Crosswords. The puzzles are spread out across several difficulty levels (Easy, Medium, Hard, and Expert) and use a hint system in case players get stuck. The game is controlled in a simple and easy-to-digest manner, as you view the whole puzzle on the top screen, and navigate through it using the touch screen, writing in letters in squares using the stylus.

StreetPass and SpotPass are both supported, allowing you to download new puzzles and share puzzles with friends. Crosswords Plus also features additional word games, such as Wordsearch, Anagrams, and Word of the Day. The latter of which seems to be as simple as that: it gives you a word of the day and some fun facts about said word. 

The Word of the Day also expands to two other modes. In Word Paths, players fill in blank boxes until the puzzle is complete, beginning with the word of the day. In Word Quiz, players are tested on what they learned about the word of the day.

Crosswords DS was developed by NST, and it is likely they are making this game. However, we're not sure who is developing it right now.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Art_de_Cat

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • Art_de_Cat's Deviant Art page
Re: Crosswords Plus Preview
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 01:26:08 PM »
Hopefully they have improved letter recognition from the original game. Certain letters were a pain to register correctly at the oddest times.
They say that there is no medicine that can cure a fool......
I guess that's true.....

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 01:57:26 PM »
This is a game I probably would have ignored if not for it being available on the eShop, but since it's there I'm pretty likely to pick it up, especially with the thin release schedule for 3DS this fall.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Glad0s

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Reagan's Music Reviews
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 05:28:48 PM »
The question here is the price. If it's 20 bucks or less, I'll probably grab it on eShop. Anything higher....it's a tough sell.
"Isn't Karl like Mexican or something"

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 05:39:33 PM »
So I guess the order goes:

New York Times Crosswords (DS) > Crosswords Plus > CrossworDS > Merv Griffin's Crosswords (game show)
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 06:51:01 PM »
New York Times Crosswords was a really great game, although I think CrossworDS had a better interface and presentation.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 07:25:02 PM »
Yeah, NY Times Crossword was pretty awesome.

But man oh man... why is Nintendo constantly tempting me to buy digitally instead of my beloved digital copies? This is another game that's really tempting that way...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline HeyItsMe

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 10:48:03 AM »
The question here is the price. If it's 20 bucks or less, I'll probably grab it on eShop. Anything higher....it's a tough sell.

This. It was the only reason why I picked up Crosswords DS. It's because it was so damn cheap

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 12:05:15 AM »
So... the letter recognition on this seems... off.  I never had any issues with the first one... but man, this thing does not like my "B" or my "G"...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.