Author Topic: Nintendo Posts Largest Net Loss in History  (Read 15363 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Posts Largest Net Loss in History
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2011, 01:29:32 PM »
Not only are we getting some very stupid ideas thrown around here, we're also getting political.  Let's end this particular train of thought right now, shall we?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2011, 01:34:41 AM »
Just as a point, every country is not -as a rule- part of the UN. Note that most of the following states are not universally recognized as independent, but in most cases they have de facto independence.

Kosovo is not in the UN, and likely will struggle to get past the Security Council as multiple members of the Security Council would veto it on the spot (China [PRC], Russia). Russia actually has stated publicly that the independence of Kosovo is a "tragedy" and is actively supporting Serb enclaves inside Kosovo.

Taiwan is not a UN member and would have to resolve its situation with China before it could formally join. At present multiple Security Council members have a One China policy (US, China [PRC]).

The Vatican City is a "non-member state". It has never asked for admittance to the United Nations and currently holds observer status.

Abkhazia and South Ossetia both declared independence from Georgia. Attempts by Tblisi to reassert control over the breakway regions lead to Russian intervention and occupation of the two break-away republics. Effectively, they are recognized internationally (especially in NATO states) as part of Georgia, however Georgia currently executes no control over them. Russia recognizes their independence.

Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus: Replace "Georgia" with "Cyprus" and "Russia" with "Turkey" in the above paragraph. Their declaration of independence is regarded internationally as illegal as well, except in Turkey who currently occupies the region. They are de facto independent, as Cyprus can execute no control over it.

Western Sahara is weird. The group recognized as its legal representative by the UN is also not in control of the territory. The Moroccan Kingdom currently occupies most of the territory.  On-going negotiations are trying to determine how much local sovereignty will be awarded.

The Palestine Liberation Organization might also become a non-member state in the near future, as they have stated they intend to do should their full-membership bid be denied.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2011, 01:37:16 AM »
Wow, all that post to correct a minor point on universalist currencies.

Anyway, Japan undertook yet another intervention in the currency market this morning in an attempt to reign in the yen, presumably it will involve a series of cash infusions.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2011, 07:04:00 AM »
This is all Unclebob's fault for not buying enough nintendo produce.

Ye shall be punished accordingly.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2011, 10:09:55 AM »
This is all Unclebob's fault for not buying enough nintendo produce.

Ye shall be punished accordingly.
When did Nintendo start producing Fruits and Vegetables?  I know a lot of their games hint they go that way.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 10:20:27 AM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2011, 10:19:46 AM »
I'll have you know, I purchased plenty of Nintendo produce.

I ate so many bananas...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2011, 07:58:19 PM »
I ate so many bananas...

If but this were the funhouse...
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2011, 10:44:35 PM »
Wow, nice thread going here.  All of this political talk without saying what really needs to be said:

NINTENDO IZ TEH DOOMED
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2011, 03:54:17 PM »
Wow, nice thread going here.  All of this political talk without saying what really needs to be said:

NINTENDO IZ TEH DOOMED

Stop Killing Kittens Lindy.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2011, 05:32:13 PM »
I remember when there used to be Nintendo cereals with Mario or something. I don't think they are around anymore. Wish they were.
is your sanity...

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2011, 08:59:15 PM »
Were there really Donkey Kong bananas?!?!?!?!

Please say yes! My unborn child's childhood could be complete!
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2011, 09:33:04 PM »
Yes, Caterkiller that was a real promotion and I believe that is not the first game they did that with.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
Yes, Caterkiller that was a real promotion and I believe that is not the first game they did that with.

Yeah, they did it with Monkey Ball Step & Roll as well.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2011, 11:57:55 AM »
threads like this is why this community is awesome.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2011, 09:56:02 PM »

Oh my god! In ever even got a chance!!!! At least I got my nintendo fruit snacks.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2011, 10:39:37 PM »

Yeah, they did it with Monkey Ball Step & Roll as well.
I thought they did that with an even earlier game.  Now I need to find it.  An article on these type of promotions be interesting.  I wonder if a call to Chiquita would get an answer.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2011, 10:45:05 PM »
Earlier Monkey Ball games had Dole logos on all of the bananas in-game. I thought it was kind of funny that they switched sponsorship to Chiquita.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2011, 10:53:38 PM »
Like how Dewy had the Aquapods in the game.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2011, 02:36:02 PM »
Crimm, I have to disagree with your list. You include entitites which call themselves countries, that doesn't make them so. They are as legit as that guy in Australia who proclaimed his property as a country. Kosovo and Taiwan are both widely recognized as countries but can not get into the UN for political reasons (China has veto power in the UN and claims Taiwan is part of their country, Serbia claims Kosovo is part of them and Russia is a close ally of Serbia). Abkhazia and South Ossetia are basically not recognized by anyone. 6 countries recognize Abkhazia and 5 recognize South Ossetia (Vanuatu only recognizes Abkhazia). As with Cyprus, they don't control Northern Cyprus because Turkey is illegally occupying it. Something can not be considered a country if no one recognizes them or only a handful do. Here are some other entities that claim to be countries: Somaliland (not recognized),  Nagorno-Karabakh Republic (only recognized by fellow non-countries  Abkhazia, South Ossetia, and Transnistria), Transnistria (only recognized by fellow non-countries  Abkhazia and South Ossetia). Not to mention the many micro-nations. For all intents and purposes, only Vatican City, Taiwan, and Kosovo are widely recognized as countries but not part of the UN. Vatican City could become a member if it wanted too, the other two want too but can not at this moment for reasons stated already.

Anyways, maybe Nintendo should start putting more paid ads in their games. I remember some people complaining about stuff like Duracell batteries being in Pikmin 2, but it's not a bad idea if done well (EA Sports showed how NOT to do it with Fight Night Round 3).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2011, 09:06:06 PM »
I loved the product placement in Pikmin 2.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent