Author Topic: New Smash Bros. Details Revealed  (Read 7859 times)

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE:New Smash Bros. Details Revealed
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2007, 12:35:21 AM »

Originally posted by: TVman
Isn't Ridley huge? I mean, he's a big guy. They'd have to scale him down quite a bit to make him playable.

That's no problem, that's what they did to Bowser.  Look at how big Bowser is in the Mario games.

Yet they're easily able to shrink him down to a playable size while still being big and powerful looking.

All they have to do is make Ridley Bowsers size and he'll work just fine.  
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: New Smash Bros. Details Revealed
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2007, 03:55:44 AM »
Yeah but they wouldn't be able to balance him very well AND give people what they'd expect in a playable form.  Hence he will be an assist trophy at best.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2007, 03:57:16 AM »
Normally Bowser isn't that much taller then Mario.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2007, 04:01:50 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Metaknight isn't evil (as shown by him fighting through the stages himself), it looks more like his ship was stolen...

I'm sure you can play through as Bowser... is he all of a sudden a good guy too?  So what if they made him a villain?  I mean he's usually at odds with Kirby right?  Sounds like a villain to me.

IMO, I don't think any playable character will be associated with the new textured fighting polygon team and the brains behind it.  Rather villain or hero alike, they'll take the "common goal - we both hate this lets get rid of it" approach.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2007, 04:23:31 AM »
Metaknight is to Kirby what Protoman is to Megaman.  Minus the sibling relationship.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2007, 06:48:58 AM »
I think the fighters in Brawl are meant to be more like living trophy incarnations of the gaming icons more so than the actual characters.
So whether they're good guys, bad guys or whatever in their respected games really makes no difference.
I mean the new video does show the good guys teaming up to fight the approaching baddies but you'll likely be able to select a team consisting of all bad guys or even a mix of good and bad in their place.
Metaknight's ship being the vehicle of this new enemy is odd but I'm assuming they've simply stolen in. They're probably also in control of the classic enemies like the Hammer Bros that appear in the adventure mode. Basically Smash Bros has always had a vague story involving the MASTER HAND (which may represent a human collector or possibly some God-like being) manipulating the fighters which are portrayed originally as dolls and then as trophies in the first sequel. The purple guys (who may be an evolution of the fighting polygon team) are likely its minions who are here to keep the trophies from rising up and once again laying the smash down on the omnipotent hand.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2007, 08:02:07 AM »

Originally posted by: Michael8983
I think the fighters in Brawl are meant to be more like living trophy incarnations of the gaming icons more so than the actual characters.
So whether they're good guys, bad guys or whatever in their respected games really makes no difference.
I mean the new video does show the good guys teaming up to fight the approaching baddies but you'll likely be able to select a team consisting of all bad guys or even a mix of good and bad in their place.
Metaknight's ship being the vehicle of this new enemy is odd but I'm assuming they've simply stolen in. They're probably also in control of the classic enemies like the Hammer Bros that appear in the adventure mode. Basically Smash Bros has always had a vague story involving the MASTER HAND (which may represent a human collector or possibly some God-like being) manipulating the fighters which are portrayed originally as dolls and then as trophies in the first sequel. The purple guys (who may be an evolution of the fighting polygon team) are likely its minions who are here to keep the trophies from rising up and once again laying the smash down on the omnipotent hand.

Right... I think that's dead on... and really those little minions are the equivalent fighting polygon team except they have a much higher ability to emote (look at the eyes in screen shots).  I'm sure they found that better than the rather dull wire frames.

All in all, it really seems like the same "story" just fleshed out a ton more, which should make them more entertaining...  (ie: imagine Soul Calibur accenting the individual stories with a few cinema scenes and endings with more cross references, etc.... doing that would make it more "entertaining" in some respects)

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2007, 10:08:47 PM »

Originally posted by: Shecky
Yeah but they wouldn't be able to balance him very well AND give people what they'd expect in a playable form.  Hence he will be an assist trophy at best.

Who cares what people expect, the characters aren't supposed to be 100% accurate.  If that was the case then Ganondorf wouldn't be playable because only the Master Sword can hurt him which means he should be invincible against all other character that aren't Link.  Or Caption Falcon shouldn't be in Smash Bros since we never play as him outside of his racer in the F-Zero games.

Plus shrinking down Ridley doesn't affect his character one bit.  It's Kraid who was all about size in the Metroid games, not Ridley.  Ridley fought by shooting fire balls and other energy projectiles, swinging his tail, slashing his claws, and charging at you.  Guess what, he would still be able to do all of that even if he was smaller.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2007, 03:11:48 AM »
I be more wary of the fact that its a given that Ridley can always fly.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2007, 04:19:39 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
I be more wary of the fact that its a given that Ridley can always fly.

Kirby can always fly in his games, no?

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2007, 07:09:26 AM »
Meta Knight can fly, too.  Can't Ganondorf, also?  Shouldn't Falco be able to fly?  Mewtwo could actually levitate in some of his source material, too.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2007, 07:30:47 AM »

Originally posted by: thatguy
Mewtwo could actually levitate in some of his source material, too.

Mewtwo levitates in Melee as well, as he doesn't run but hovers off the ground as he moves.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2007, 10:11:42 AM »
Kirby "flies" like a balloon he has to puff up every once and a while.  Meta Knight can really fly?  I thought he just glided.  I've never seen Falco fly outside of his ship.

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2007, 01:05:08 PM »

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude

Originally posted by: Shecky

Who cares what people expect, the characters aren't supposed to be 100% accurate.  If that was the case then Ganondorf wouldn't be playable because only the Master Sword can hurt him which means he should be invincible against all other character that aren't Link.  Or Caption Falcon shouldn't be in Smash Bros since we never play as him outside of his racer in the F-Zero games.

Plus shrinking down Ridley doesn't affect his character one bit.  It's Kraid who was all about size in the Metroid games, not Ridley.  Ridley fought by shooting fire balls and other energy projectiles, swinging his tail, slashing his claws, and charging at you.  Guess what, he would still be able to do all of that even if he was smaller.

First of all, I'm not one to be a literalist and that's not what I'm suggesting.  I'm just saying that most of the time people get worked up over characters b/c they picture them in combat that would end up being unbalanced in standard play.  They may picture Ridley as a flying monster that would be able to latch onto foes and fly, etc.  Not many people put themselves into the game developers shoes... they could make Ridley a cool assist trophy and maybe even an overpowered character for the adventure mode, but if they made him playable he may become "dull."  Assist trophy = Overpowered aid.

BTW, I do have to call BS on part of your post.... no where is it implied that the Master Sword is the only weapon that can hurt Ganondorf... the sword might be an ideal choice, but it is not the only one, heck that's true for most of the games that you need some other item to take him down I have no gripe if that's your interpretation, but since we were on the topic of literalism ...