Author Topic: Aonuma's Twilight Princess Regrets  (Read 13568 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Aonuma's Twilight Princess Regrets
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 12:31:57 AM »
TP's dungeons were full of meaningless one-time chests, like the god-awful "5th" Heart Pieces.

And I did do some voluntary dungeon backtracking... I DIDN'T FIND ****.  In some cases it got me stuck or killed cuz some of the moving puzzle elements were no longer active despite my additional mobility.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2009, 12:36:32 AM »
Everytime I opened a treasure chest in a dungeon in TP, found yet MORE rupees, and then had to stick them back in the chest because I had already had full rupees for the last 6 hours, leaving that treasure chest icon BORING INTO MY GAMING EYES on the map screen, I died a little inside.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2009, 12:37:20 AM »
TP's dungeons were full of meaningless one-time chests, like the god-awful "5th" Heart Pieces.

And I did do some voluntary dungeon backtracking... I DIDN'T FIND ****.  In some cases it got me stuck or killed cuz some of the moving puzzle elements were no longer active despite my additional mobility.

That reminds me, a problem no Zelda has solved yet is the abundance of money: you find it everywhere, from chests to grass to pots.  And yet for all those rupees, there's rarely anything you actually need to spend it on.  Well, that and Twilight Princess/Wind Waker's annoying habit of popping up a dialogue box every 5 minutes to tell you how much the rupee you found is worth...and Twilight Princess' annoying bit where it wouldn't let you "overfill" your wallet, thus leaving big treasure chest markers on your mini-map to confuse you just because you have no room in your wallet for their contents.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2009, 12:40:28 AM »
I don't think an abundance of money is too much of a problem. As long as they let you overfill your wallet I think it's fine. Actually, LTTP seemed to have some very effective money sinks for most of the game.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2009, 12:43:17 AM »
I don't think an abundance of money is too much of a problem. As long as they let you overfill your wallet I think it's fine. Actually, LTTP seemed to have some very effective money sinks for most of the game.

Where it becomes a problem is that the Zelda team likes to stick chests full of rupees as the reward for most of the exploration in the game.  There's little more deflating in my gaming experience than going through a long platforming or combat sequence only to see that my reward is...50 rupees (if that, even), and I maxed out my wallet hours ago.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2009, 01:07:14 AM »
That's true. I think that for some reason, rupees are just way too easy to get in the most recent console Zeldas (from enemies and pots especially), that they've got fewer effective money sinks, AND that they really did just go chest crazy in TP.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2009, 03:22:21 AM »
What about the armor powered by rupees?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2009, 06:00:29 AM »
That was the best item in the game merely because it meant I could enact a "No Treasure Chest left behind" policy.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2009, 12:44:15 PM »
That item was available too late in the game to matter.  It's was only useful for useless backtracking to get the other chests.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
I noticed in Twilight Princess that didn't get items from chest as often as in other Zelda games. This forced you to go to town and buy supplies with your Rupees.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2009, 08:10:11 PM »
Everytime I opened a treasure chest in a dungeon in TP, found yet MORE rupees, and then had to stick them back in the chest because I had already had full rupees for the last 6 hours, leaving that treasure chest icon BORING INTO MY GAMING EYES on the map screen, I died a little inside.
I thought I was the only one who was bothered by that. I hated that so much, it was such an insult that they actually thought they were doing you a favour by putting it back. They could have least asked "Do you want to put it back? Yes/No". What a nice way to drive completionists crazy. I had to find ways to empty the wallet before going into a dungeon because I knew it'd be full again by the time I was finished.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2009, 08:19:32 PM »
That item was available too late in the game to matter.  It's was only useful for useless backtracking to get the other chests.

Twilight Princess was also too pitifully easy a game to ever need that armor.

And yes, there were a whopping two items you mostly needed to buy in shops because they weren't readily available elsewhere: bombs and lantern oil.  Neither of which were really important except in a few distinct places.

Offline - NintendoFan -

• hay sup dudez i liek teh nintendo
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2009, 08:41:12 PM »
It's great to have this "grand scale" but if there is nothing to do in it, then what is the point?

To sell it to fans that don't know any better.

Probably, but I try not to be that cynical.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2009, 09:10:28 PM »
man its funny, if you think of Twilight Princess as the be all end all addition of Zelda then you'll be disappointed, if you think of it as fan candy then its pretty great. Its like Ocarina of Time because its Ocarina of Time in the future. examining the world from a change point of view makes it MORE interesting. Things have changed,but things are still the same. That being said if you don't look at it from this point of view it could be repetitive. I just played through oot again, and it was great. Im in the middle of Majora's Mask, and I have to say Majora's mask is the best game when it comes to NPCs. Hopefully, the next game won't be the same repetition of Gorons to the East, Hylians to the North, Gerados to the West, and Zoras to the south(even if its backwards). What they need to do is throw in some new races, but its really hard to get away from the water/ice, fire, forest/wind, desert themes.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post