Author Topic: NX To Be Portable Console With Detachable Controllers, Docking Unit?  (Read 6692 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: NX To Be Portable Console With Detachable Controllers, Docking Unit?
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2016, 06:55:52 PM »
Some of this sounds plausible, but other parts seem to contradict some of the other info we've heard. I'm not believing anything yet.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2016, 06:59:08 PM »
I wouldn't really know how to vote with my wallet on this.

I guess it goes to show that voting with one's wallet is a really poor means of communication.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2016, 06:59:28 PM »
@MysticGohan
But Emily Rogers was tweeting a day or two before the Eurogamer article that "major" gaming news sites would shortly be reporting something like this. That they had independently verified some rumours (verified not with her, with others) and that those reports would back up things she had been hearing and hinting at (like no x86 architecture). So, you're saying this was self serving, pre-tweeting?
I don't get it.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2016, 07:13:24 PM »
I like the idea of detachable controllers. It adds a third option of play I never considered. That said, how durable and big would this be? It seems like Nintendo is forfeiting one of their greatest group of buyers, parents who buy Nintendo handhelds for their kids, by offering something that isn't very durable and is probably huge.

I never respected all in one devices. They never turn out well enough. And the same goes with this. If it's both a handheld and console then they have to compromise on either battery or specs, durability or sleekness, and price or specs.

Now it is true that a lot of gamers happen to be older people, so if they're focusing on that market this could work. Still, it seems like an awful idea.

I would have preferred the "gimmick" be a universal software foundation; where games can be ported with ease, handhelds can speak to consoles, and all your games can be accessed on either one.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2016, 07:21:55 PM »
@MysticGohan
But Emily Rogers was tweeting a day or two before the Eurogamer article that "major" gaming news sites would shortly be reporting something like this. That they had independently verified some rumours (verified not with her, with others) and that those reports would back up things she had been hearing and hinting at (like no x86 architecture). So, you're saying this was self serving, pre-tweeting?
I don't get it.

Emily tends to do this, but there's been devs that have come out and say that the NX is more powerful than the PS4. There's alot that contradicts what emily's been saying.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2016, 07:26:48 PM »
I'm so excited about NX. I hope Nintendo don't leave us waiting too long for concrete information and I really, really hope Nintendo has learned a lot from the past. They need to remember two things: one, don't be lazy, two, don't be greedy.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2016, 07:28:31 PM »
Youch. Emily Rogers has more fans on this site then I thought

Offline Miyamoto

• Only person correctly capable of predicting the Switch's demise
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2016, 07:32:45 PM »
We love Emily Rogers as much as we love using keys in Super Mario World. Sooooooo goooood.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2016, 07:49:31 PM »
AMD have 2 SOC coming, Q3 16 (Neo likely)+1 more date is secret (NX likely) + other SOC'S they haven't announced. According to SMD64 who I'd trust over Emily and has been working in the business.

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2016, 07:52:24 PM »
I have been wanting a 3DS successor, so this could be good. But I wont believe anything until an announcement from Nintendo or some really big leaks.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2016, 08:07:11 PM »
/News Editor mode off

I'm leaning toward this being bunk, or at least not the whole story. Look at the games that have been announced for NX release so far: Just Dance 2017, Zelda, Sonic 2017*. One would make absolutely 0 sense as a portable game - and its publisher said that the NX would capture the casual market, which I would love to happen with a portable but never will. The other two are or will likely be confirmed as high powered games, which would run through a battery faster than Sanic on triple espresso and run hotter than a flaming Magcargo.

At best, if this thing is legit, it's a 3rd pillar (remember Nintendo talking about releasing more hardware form factors).

/News Editor mode on

*I'm aware we list two Dragon Quest games, but despite Horii being the source, they're still not official.

AMD have 2 SOC coming, Q3 16 (Neo likely)+1 more date is secret (NX likely) + other SOC'S they haven't announced. According to SMD64 who I'd trust over Emily and has been working in the business.

Didn't AMD confirm it as the Xbox One S? Like, last week?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2016, 08:20:02 PM »
Youch. Emily Rogers has more fans on this site then I thought

Meh.

I've seen a lot of ugly and/or baseless online bashing of Emily Rogers by people who seem to have nothing better to do. Yet as rumor mongers go, I recall her being right more often than most - and she's considerably less annoying than the haters to boot. So why not be a fan?

Doesn't mean she's going to be right, or that I put any stock into there rumors. After all, that's all they are:  rumors.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2016, 08:27:55 PM »
Console or Handheld?
Made you look ****.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2016, 08:55:14 PM »
According to SMD64 who I'd trust over Emily and has been working in the business.

"Ah those trusted Gaf insiders" -makes a certain hand gesture-

At best, if this thing is legit, it's a 3rd pillar (remember Nintendo talking about releasing more hardware form factors).

Ugh, that's just begging for market confusion. The last thing Nintendo needs is several SKUs.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2016, 09:42:53 PM »
This certainly makes those other weird rumors about some sort of hardware that plugs into other hardware and gets more powerful as a result more intriguing. So you take your portable NX that these current rumors point to, and then plug it into an at-home NX, and it all of a sudden becomes beefier and more home-console like? Then when you want you just undock it from the home-dock and carry the same games with you on the go, but at a different graphical output and form factor?

*boggle* That STILL sounds absolutely wild to me, can't get my head wrapped around those particular rumors.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2016, 10:01:16 PM »
This certainly makes those other weird rumors about some sort of hardware that plugs into other hardware and gets more powerful as a result more intriguing. So you take your portable NX that these current rumors point to, and then plug it into an at-home NX, and it all of a sudden becomes beefier and more home-console like? Then when you want you just undock it from the home-dock and carry the same games with you on the go, but at a different graphical output and form factor?

*boggle* That STILL sounds absolutely wild to me, can't get my head wrapped around those particular rumors.

Yeah, that sounds like a cool idea!  This rumour sounds like if you removed the key parts that make me interested in the hybrid idea.

If Nintendo had any approach that was a console and handheld in one then they would have to offer some sort of SKU that is just a handheld.  Like maybe it could still connect to the home base if you bough the extra accessories but there are families where each kid has a handheld with their own Pokemon game.  That would get needlessly expensive if you had to buy this whole thing with docking unit every time when you really only need one of those with multiple handhelds.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2016, 10:15:19 PM »
I wouldn't really know how to vote with my wallet on this.  As a new handheld, it sounds great!  I would gladly support a 3DS successor with beefier hardware and the ability to plug into a TV.  But as a Wii U successor and a new Nintendo console, well I don't think of it as a console at all.  So how do I tell Nintendo "yes, I like your new handheld" and "no I do not consider a dockable handheld with [I assume] no improved specs over the Wii U as an acceptable replacement for a proper console"?  Buying it can be seen as an endorsement of both and not buying it can be seen as a rejection of both.

See, that's how they get you.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2016, 10:33:53 PM »

It's possible through USB-C. This is how they are miniaturizing laptops but still allowing them to have power at the desk. It's pretty damn cool.

My reservations are still about the handheld itself. It can't be expensive or power hungry or flimsy. That means it's graphical output can't be crazy either, so it really does come down to the dock and nothing was said about it really. That's a red flag. It also has the controllers attached to the handheld, which is cool, but lends more credence to the dock being just a dock.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2016, 11:56:20 PM »
According to SMD64 who I'd trust over Emily and has been working in the business.

"Ah those trusted Gaf insiders" -makes a certain hand gesture-

Ugh, that's just begging for market confusion. The last thing Nintendo needs is several SKUs.

SMD64 is not from GAF, but I'd wager on him anyday than emily and eurongamer.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2016, 03:15:04 AM »
Console rumors, like consoles themselves, are a religion that inspire crusading.

Anyway, on this rumor, the NX sounds alright.

EDIT: And never burn your source!

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2016, 03:57:12 AM »
/News Editor mode off

I'm leaning toward this being bunk, or at least not the whole story. Look at the games that have been announced for NX release so far: Just Dance 2017, Zelda, Sonic 2017*. One would make absolutely 0 sense as a portable game - and its publisher said that the NX would capture the casual market, which I would love to happen with a portable but never will. The other two are or will likely be confirmed as high powered games, which would run through a battery faster than Sanic on triple espresso and run hotter than a flaming Magcargo.

/News Editor mode on

*I'm aware we list two Dragon Quest games, but despite Horii being the source, they're still not official.

Didn't AMD confirm it as the Xbox One S? Like, last week?

Yes I believe so, but they also have sever SOC's that weren't announced but would be later.

I'm banking on that being Nintendo NX.

It doesn't make sense for the NX to be using AMD and then a handheld counter part that can be docked to the console using Nvidia Tegra. Those two architectures do not go together, there's no way either company would be willing to work on such projects.

And I doubt third parties would get excited for the NX using a tegra that's Xbone lever specs, the whole thing doesn't add up.

Plus Nintendo has done streaming well with the Wii U pad, if they wanted to take that tech a step further.

But I'm doubting the home console will be Nvidia based.

What I'm getting is that the handheld will be sub xbone spec with a lower resolution screen, either 560p or 720p. And of course be cartridge based as previous handhelds from Nintendo.

That's my take, wither it's Nvidia... I'm doubting it, but we'll see.

But I'm certain NX console will be AMD, x86 using polaris.

It may interact with the handheld, or it's possible the handheld may have an HDMI dongle that we've heard of to stream to a tv. But that's just patents, and we know not every patent makes it to reality.

Too many rumors at this point, but I doubt Nintendo would allow leaks at this point when we're close to them announcing the NX in all it's glory.

Just too much out there contradicting everything EG and Emily has stated.

Offline MysticGohan

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2016, 04:04:11 AM »
paper mario color splash was accidentally leaked before she said nintendo was releasing it, and tp hd was found on the wii u eshop database and she piggybacked off of it.

she said nintendo was releasing a gta on the wii u and it never happened. she said a mother 3 was releasing in the west and it also…. never happened. she said we’d see pikmin 3 at e3 2010 and it also never happened.

Emily has been wrong many many times, so when I hear things and Emily in the same sentence, well this and others come to mind.

An thus I play the waiting game :p

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2016, 08:06:28 AM »
paper mario color splash was accidentally leaked before she said nintendo was releasing it, and tp hd was found on the wii u eshop database and she piggybacked off of it.

she said nintendo was releasing a gta on the wii u and it never happened. she said a mother 3 was releasing in the west and it also…. never happened. she said we’d see pikmin 3 at e3 2010 and it also never happened.

Emily has been wrong many many times, so when I hear things and Emily in the same sentence, well this and others come to mind.

An thus I play the waiting game :p

Dude, we get it. You haven't made a single post in this thread without attacking Emily's credibility, because you don't think she has any. The point is established, just move on and lay off already - it's a bad look for you to be still beating that drum.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2016, 10:37:12 AM »
Too many rumors at this point, but I doubt Nintendo would allow leaks at this point when we're close to them announcing the NX in all it's glory.

You clearly haven't been paying attention to Nintendo these last few years...
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2016, 04:11:27 AM »
It's possible through USB-C. This is how they are miniaturizing laptops but still allowing them to have power at the desk. It's pretty damn cool.

Thats right, Razer have a new laptop that uses an external graphics card over USB-C. I got to try it out at an event a week ago and it worked surprisingly well. It wasnt completely perfect though, I think it was probably early hardware and drivers.