Author Topic: Namco Re-Opens Their Museum  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Namco Re-Opens Their Museum
« on: April 28, 2005, 10:50:07 AM »
Enjoy the classics all over again!

All of Your Favorite Namco Arcade Classics Are Back This Summer!    

Santa Clara, Ca., (April 27, 2005) – Global video games publisher, Namco Hometek Inc. announced today that Namco Museum 50th Anniversary TM is coming this August to the PlayStation ® 2 computer entertainment system, the Xbox ® video game system from Microsoft, Nintendo GameCube TM , Game Boy ® Advance, and PC. In honor of the company's 50th anniversary, Namco Museum 50th Anniversary introduces 14 exciting, classic games from the 70's and 80's to a new generation of gamers.    

"Namco Museum 50th Anniversary brings countless hours of family-friendly entertainment to gamers everywhere," said Jeff Lujan, business director, Namco Hometek Inc. "With Pac-Man, Galaga, Pole Position, and more, Namco Museum 50th Anniversary Arcade Collection offers 14 landmark games in a single package."    

The single largest compilation of Namco Arcade Classics ever, Namco Museum 50th Anniversary Arcade Collection allows players to explore a virtual arcade hall where each of the game's classic titles will be standing in its original arcade form...except this time no quarters are required! Players will also be able to post high scores to the Xbox Live Leader boards (for the Xbox ® version only).    

While previous versions of Namco Museum contained up to 12 titles, Namco Museum 50th Anniversary Arcade Collection contains 14 of the best Namco original arcade titles ever!    

Classic Arcade Games Included:    

Pac-Man
 Originally released in 1980 – Play the most popular arcade game of all time! Navigate the yellow fellow through the original Pac-Man maze, avoid ghosts while chomping pellets and fruit, and use power pellets to turn the ghosts blue and get some payback!    

Ms. Pac-Man
 Originally released in 1981 – Starring Pac-Man's female counterpart; explore, collect, and chomp your way through four different mazes and eat new fruits.    

Galaga
 Originally released in 1981 – Pilot a space ship, fend off frantic swarms of bee-like aliens, try your luck with "Challenging Stages," and find the best way to deal with enemies' powerful tractor beams!    

Galaxian
 Originally released in 1979 – A precursor to Galaga, destroy flying aliens as they move in from formation to attack you.    

Dig Dug
 Originally released in 1982 – Equipped with only a shovel and a pump, tunnel your way underground and use the pump to blow up attacking enemies.    

Pole Position
 Originally released in 1982 – A milestone in racing games, players drive fast to beat the timer, and avoid cars and hazards or risk exploding.    

Pole Position II
 Originally released in 1983 – Sequel to Pole Position, this title introduced four new race tracks – Fuji, Test, Suzuka, and Seaside.    

Rolling Thunder
 Originally released in 1987 – In this horizontal scrolling shooter, play as a secret agent codename "Albatross," rescue female agent Lelia Blitz and defeat the criminal organization called Geldra.    

Rally X
 Originally Released in 1980 – Players drive around a maze while avoiding chasing cars, laying smoke screens, and collecting flags.    

Bosconian
 Originally released in 1981 - Pilot a space ship, survive enemy fighters and destroy enemy space stations, while avoiding asteroids and other obstacles.    

Dragon Spirit
 Originally released in 1987 – Control a powerful dragon through the air, harness spells, drop bombs and breath fire at enemies.    

Sky Kid
 Originally released in 1985 – Controlling a bi-plane, avoid enemy planes using evasive loops, drop bombs, and machine gun down other planes.    

Xevious
 Originally released in 1982 – Use a heavily armed fighter plane to destroy enemies and targets in the air and on the ground.    

Mappy
 Originally released in 1983 – Control Mappy, a police mouse. Bounce on trampolines and open and close doors to dodge chasing cats, all in an attempt to collect valuable items from a cat's house.    

Note: Game Boy Advance version includes Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, Dig Dug and Rally-X games.

I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Namco Re-Opens Their Museum
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 10:55:43 AM »
Didn't I already buy this like last year?  And how the hell is this "50th Anniversary"? I don't see any arcade games from 1955 listed...

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 11:08:25 AM »
It's 50 years if you go by half-anniversaries.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Bartman3010

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 11:10:00 AM »
Yet PS2 owners get PSX classic games, at least in Japan, while we get this crap again?

I was right, Namco hates our money.
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 11:14:04 AM »
Some quick research reveals that the original Cube release of Namco Museum contained the Pac-Man's, the Pole Position's, Galaxian, Galaga, and Dig Dug.  This one has seven more.  I don't see why they don't release JUST the addition seven as Museum 2 but whatever.  This doesn't seem like a bad collection.  It's just the collection that the first Cube Museum should have been.  It's not very fair to anyone who bought the first museum though which I why I think they should have designed something that compliments the original collection instead of replacing it.  And how many re-releases of Xevious does THIS make?  At least three this gen including Star Fox Assault.

Namco needs to release one BIG collection like Midway Arcade Treasures that includes all of the games from the five N-A-M-C-O Museums released for the Playstation.  You KNOW Namco is going to release Museum again for the PS3/360/Rev so they might as well make it the definitive one.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE:Namco Re-Opens Their Museum
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 11:38:58 AM »

Originally posted by: joshnickerson
Didn't I already buy this like last year?  And how the hell is this "50th Anniversary"? I don't see any arcade games from 1955 listed...

Aha, the company that has become Namco was founded in 1955...They made rocking-horse type rides... ^_^
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline bubicus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 11:49:37 AM »
If it's not the original Bosconian, but the lame conversion like what's on the Jakks Pacific toys, then I'm going to "BATTLE STATIONS!" all over their ass.
-----------------------------------------------------
Someday, I'll resurrect bubblebobble.com/bubandbob.com...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 12:07:58 PM »
The Namco Musuem also had the Arrangement games of Pac Man, Galaga, and such...so perhaps this version doesn't have the arrangements.  You get 7 new games, and perhaps those 7 games will have arrangement versions, but then the original don't?  I dunno I am trying to justify this move.