Author Topic: New Super Mario Bros. 2 Developers Explain Golden Coin Influence  (Read 11631 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: New Super Mario Bros. 2 Developers Explain Golden Coin Influence
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 05:56:28 PM »
God I can't believe I'm thinking of buying this digitally...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 06:44:39 PM »
I just figured that they wanted to make a game about their company philosophy.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 09:32:11 PM »
I've started to come around on this game since E3. The gigantic long-term 1 million coin goal makes a lot of sense in the handheld, portable gaming context, and they're finally showing some cool new ideas, such as the Dash Mario stages, which tells that maybe NSMB2 will turn out all right after all.

I wonder if Ninty can keep things as fresh with NSMB U. So far the only things that have changed are the backgrounds and some stage designs (giant stars in the snow level).
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 12:34:08 AM »
I wonder if Ninty can keep things as fresh with NSMB U. So far the only things that have changed are the backgrounds and some stage designs (giant stars in the snow level).

Anything big new surprises for NSMB U won't be revealed until Nintendo's fall conference when they start hyping the Wii U for launch.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline JRokujuushi

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 06:12:09 AM »
I don't think you grasp how much a million is. In my playthrough of Coin Rush I got about 1800 coins in those three levels. I would have to play through that over 500 times to get to a million. I wouldn't consider that extremely easy, especially given the apparent difficulty of the game.

The game better be difficult.  The trailers show Mario still getting 1Ups every 100 coins.  That's 10,000 lives earned once you reach the million coin goal.  Plus they've shown in other trailers that the Challenge Eliminator leaf has made a comeback. 

And going back to the beginning of the talkback thread, I'm hating the music, too.  I was already getting tired of the theme from its inclusion in both NSMB and NSMBWii, and now they've made it worse by flooding it with that stupid fakey voice.  Maybe that's the million coin reward, make the music not suck.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2012, 08:27:07 AM »
Do lives matter in a Mario game?  Have they really meant much since... I guess Super Mario Bros. 3?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2012, 04:36:51 PM »
Even the original Super Mario Bros has the cheat to get over 100 lives which Nintendo themselves has acknowledged so really, lives haven't meant much in Mario since the original.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2012, 10:15:07 AM »
Even the original Super Mario Bros has the cheat to get over 100 lives which Nintendo themselves has acknowledged so really, lives haven't meant much in Mario since the original.

But in the original Super Mario Bros., that "cheat" of bouncing repeatedly on a Koopa shell is incredibly difficult to pull off if you don't hit it in the right spot. I'm surprised they didn't bring that cheat back in Super Mario Bros. 3 or SMW.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2012, 11:30:31 AM »

But in the original Super Mario Bros., that "cheat" of bouncing repeatedly on a Koopa shell is incredibly difficult to pull off if you don't hit it in the right spot. I'm surprised they didn't bring that cheat back in Super Mario Bros. 3 or SMW.

SMB3 has similar ones, there are 3 stages where you can get 99 lives with enough skill. World 1-2, you can keep stomping on Goombas coming out of a pipe. In World 2-Fortress, you can keep jumping on a group of 3 Dry Bones. In World 3-9, you can kick a Koopa shell in between two Bullet Bill cannons and it will keep hitting them.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2012, 06:36:26 PM »

SMB3 has similar ones, there are 3 stages where you can get 99 lives with enough skill. World 1-2, you can keep stomping on Goombas coming out of a pipe. In World 2-Fortress, you can keep jumping on a group of 3 Dry Bones. In World 3-9, you can kick a Koopa shell in between two Bullet Bill cannons and it will keep hitting them.

I know about those tricks. Jumping on any group of enemies consecutively without touching the ground results in endless 1-Ups.

I was specifically referring to the "bounce on a single Koopa repeatedly on a staircase" trick from Super Mario Bros. 1. That trick wasn't in SMB3 or SMW.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2012, 09:00:26 PM »
God I can't believe I'm thinking of buying this digitally...
I'm thinking about getting it digitally and finding a physical copy years down the road used/on clearance. I wish they'd figure out how to satisfy both camps though.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2012, 09:15:48 PM »
I just realized this "Million Coins" concept isn't as unique as Nintendo thinks. It's been done before in the Wario Land games. In Wario Land 1, every coin and treasure you collect is stored in a "bank".

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2012, 12:43:51 PM »
From a development aspect, I can see how the golden coin idea came about. But I'm still curious to see the in-game justification. Why does Mario care about getting a million coins?

My bet is that he needs to pay off Wario or is responding to some sort of blackmail scheme.  Of course story and motive aren't big factors in most Mario games... but it would be nice to see this game have some echoes of Super Mario Land 2 with Wario once again taking on the "villian" role.
NNID: ejamer

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2012, 06:36:30 PM »
No Wario, no underlying plot. The coins are just there for the hell of it.

Source: I watched a few walkthrough videos on YouTube.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2012, 08:39:28 PM »
The should have called the game New Super Mario Bros. 2: 6 Million Golden Coins.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent