Author Topic: Nintendo Defeats Illicit Online Retailers in Dutch Court  (Read 2121 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Nintendo Defeats Illicit Online Retailers in Dutch Court
« on: July 22, 2010, 11:39:21 AM »

More sellers of R4 cards and Wii mod chips found guilty of IP infringement.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/23739

A court in the Netherlands has found 11 online sellers of R4 cards and Wii mod chips guilty of infringing on Nintendo's intellectual property rights.

The retailers were both importing and selling the cards and modchips, which allow DS owners to store and play copied games and Wii owners to play pirated software.  The retailers argued that Nintendo's suit amounted to unfair competition by preventing them from selling their products, an argument that the Hague District court rejected.

The lawsuit is part of a larger anti-piracy campaign by Nintendo, which has vigorously prosecuted pirates around the globe for the last several years.  One of the focuses of their upcoming 3DS console is including hardware technology squarely aimed at curbing the rampant piracy that has occured with their Nintendo DS system.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Defeats Pirates in Dutch Court
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 02:45:36 PM »
I wonder if they'll ever get all the R4's off the market.

Offline Ponch

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 03:33:06 PM »
I love the smell of justice in the morning.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 06:34:08 PM »
Louie, they could be like DVD Rippers where it's legal to use the devices but are illegal to sell them.

Good for Nintendo, I have never met someone who uses R4 devices for anything other than pirating games.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 06:50:02 PM »
Louie, they could be like DVD Rippers where it's legal to use the devices but are illegal to sell them.

Good for Nintendo, I have never met someone who uses R4 devices for anything other than pirating games.

Nothing is more defeating to me that hearing someone adores the same niche game as me (like The World Ends With You) and finding out they pirated it with R4. I felt pretty sad by that.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 11:19:24 PM »
So are they talking about the specific R4 brand, or is "R4" a catchall term for DS flashcart (like Kleenex for tissues) now?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 01:16:07 AM »
So they weren't actually pirates, huh?  Just enablers, taking a profit for themselves.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Defeats Illicit Online Retailers in Dutch Court
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 07:31:52 AM »
Captain Jack says Argh.