Author Topic: Editorial: Don't Leave Me Now  (Read 25869 times)

Offline Kyosho

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Editorial: Don't Leave Me Now
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2004, 05:53:54 PM »
Well, like I said i used to work @ EB and play games there non stop.  Staring at those game system systems all day long gives u a somewhat good idea of the general graphics capability.  But keep in mind it's not limited to just textures only.  I've seen developers have severe problems with anti-aliasing on Nintendo's system (from IGN's head 2 head pictures).   I'd like to see some documentation on how to use Nintendo's graphics efficiently.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2004, 06:58:26 PM »
Kyosho: Why should it matter that a few crappy third party ports have some jaggies on the Gamecube when there are games vastly more advanced that sport no jaggies whatsoever (Resident Evil 4, Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Rebel Strike). Find me a Gamecube game with jaggies and I guarantee you the XBox version has them, too. That's an issue with developer incompotence, not console power.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Editorial: Don't Leave Me Now
« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2004, 07:51:07 PM »
"Why should it matter that a few crappy third party ports have some jaggies on the Gamecube when there are games vastly more advanced that sport no jaggies whatsoever (Resident Evil 4, Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Rebel Strike)."

Though I think a lot of ignorant people think differently I agree.  A console's graphic capabilities is determined by its best looking games not its worst.  If you go by the worst looking games then the PS2 is going to get absolutely creamed.

Of course the real way people measure is whatever way makes their favourite console appear to be the best.  Therefore Metal Gear Solid 2 gets compared to Spy Hunter and FMV gets compared to real game footage.

I do however think that the Cube's graphic capabilities would be more accurately potrayed to the ignorant masses if Nintendo released better screen shots of their top games.  Super Mario Sunshine in particular had some REALLY bad shots released by Nintendo.  The first time I saw a shot of that game I thought it looked like Super Mario 64.

Offline Kyosho

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2004, 09:15:56 PM »
Why should it matter that a few crappy third party ports have some jaggies on the Gamecube when there are games vastly more advanced that sport no jaggies whatsoever

Because I don't always buy the exclusive Nintendo games? Nintendo is my ONLY console this generation, and no I did not buy it for the exclusives.   I don't know if you're an Insider or not, but go look at the head 2 heads that IGN does.  They show you the image captures side by side along with commentary.  But like most of you said, graphics are secondary for Nintendo.  Gameplay is first.  Seems fit.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2004, 09:30:07 PM »
Kyosho, you have completely missed my point. The poor quality of the graphics in the games you're buying is NOT because of any hardware limitations, it's because of DEVELOPER limitations- in other words, the guys making those games don't know how to make good graphics. The Gamecube can obviously do much more, as games like Rebel Strike, Wind Waker, Resident Evil 4, and Metroid Prime have shown us- whether or not the Gamecube has the power to run these half assed 3rd party ports is a moot point- not only can it run them, but it can run them at least as well as the XBox. I'm sorry you're dissapointed with how your multiplatform games look on the Gamecube, but this is in no way, shape, or form the Gamecube's problem or Nintendo's fault- it's developer incompotence.

And I hope you weren't referring to Nintendo's prioritizing of gameplay in a sarcastic manner. Such an opinion will only win you the contempt of your peers.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 24, 2004, 06:40:15 AM »
Anyone who complains about the appearance of multiplatform Cube titles should check out Soul Calibur 2 as PROOF that the Cube can handle the same game as well as the other consoles when the developer actually gives a damn.