Author Topic: High Voltage Betting That 'a Hardcore Market Exists' on Wii  (Read 12419 times)

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
Re: High Voltage Betting That 'a Hardcore Market Exists' on Wii
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 07:45:19 PM »
Who made Halo popular?  It sure as hell wasn't only the hardcore base...Casual gamers love FPS too...
Sorry, as both a core and casual (casu-ore...?), I don't like FPS games... except for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark.

FPAs on the other hand (<3 Metroid Prime).  ;D
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009, 03:29:43 AM »
Red Steak sold over a million. Both the Resident Evil games sold over a million. I'm pretty sure there's a market.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2009, 06:14:12 AM »
"a captivating story"

Oh come on. "Aliens invade Washington DC. As a super secret government agent, you have to stop them."

Real captivating. Honestly, I'm disappointed with the story, and if the first level is anything to go by, the writing is crap too.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2009, 07:18:50 AM »
IOW, the story should remain in the booklet? Nice to see FPS return to its roots :P

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 01:34:48 PM »
FPSes are all about multiplayer these days.  The campaigns are pretty much an hors d'oeuvre, and the multiplayer is the main course.  Conduit's online multiplayer had better not lack, because I have a feeling the single-player story mode will be pretty meh.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 04:21:09 PM »
T_T

I LOVED the single-player missions and story in Perfect Dark. They made me happy. I replayed them all the time. Especially the villa one...
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 04:40:57 PM »
In a way, I already feel bad for Conduit and HVG.

I mean, the game isn't even out yet and people are either declaring the best Wii FPS ever or a failure.

This is why I believe game developers should just make the game they want to make and hope for the best.

I admire that HVG is working hard towards proving that the Wii is a gaming console like the rest. But if they fail, even a tiny bit, they will feel the backlash.

People have yet to forgive Ubi for Red Steel, and it too was a FPS game that wanted to prove the Wii could do games like these.

So, I feel bad for Conduit.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 09:06:12 PM »
God I wish people would stop saying hardcore, the word itself is just embarrassing and alienating, kind of like Xbox and PS3.

Anyway i'm still boycotting this flop until they add multiplayer.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 09:44:25 PM »
This is why I believe game developers should just make the game they want to make and hope for the best.
It will never work for any game company. It's a miracle I still play games if it wasn't for Nintendo, Good Feel, WiiWare, and NitRome. Everyone else comes up with BS that gives me a headache.

I'm looking at you, UbiSoft.

And I'm with Kairon on Perfect Dark's story mode. Loved it.

How Rare managed to screw up PD Zero is beyond knowledge.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 09:47:44 PM »
Well, before they screwed up PD Zero, first they had to destroy Joanna Dark. Once they did that, everything was easy... T_T

Actually, I'm being childish. I never played PD:Zero, so I don't really know if it's good or bad. All I know is that I'm not exactly enticed to find out.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 09:51:14 PM by Kairon »

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 10:03:14 PM »
PDZ is not really that great.
It has bots in multiplayer, and that is really all I remember.

No Elvis = No fun!
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2009, 05:17:33 AM »
Oh it does seem like developers are making what they want but most seem to want to make another FPS for the HD systems (because they believe THEY have the idea that's necessary to make FPSes really perfect).

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2009, 12:28:29 PM »
In a way, I already feel bad for Conduit and HVG.

I mean, the game isn't even out yet and people are either declaring the best Wii FPS ever or a failure.

I admire that HVG is working hard towards proving that the Wii is a gaming console like the rest. But if they fail, even a tiny bit, they will feel the backlash.

People have yet to forgive Ubi for Red Steel, and it too was a FPS game that wanted to prove the Wii could do games like these.

So, I feel bad for Conduit.

I liked Red Steel even with all its flaws.  What I haven't forgiven Ubisoft for is ignoring the sales the game saw, which were pretty good for a poorly reviewed launch game, proving that the market existed right from the start.  Ubisoft had a perfect opportunity to refine the Wii FPS experience.  As an early mover, Ubisoft had a chance to get an improvement out the door before anyone else could even finish a first attempt.  Instead, they tried to copy Nintendo.  Badly.

Getting back to HVG, my greatest fear is that the game will not perform well enough and will "prove" the opposite of what HVG is saying.  Other publishers will point to it as an example of why they only make "casual" games for Wii.  My hope is that it is a very good game, a critical darling, and a huge seller.  We will then be drowned in FPS games, hopefully with a few gems in the mix.

Actually, I take it back.  My greatest fear is that the game will sell phenomenally, but then other publishers will continue on the same path, claiming either that it was a fluke or that Wii gamers wouldn't buy another one for some crazy made up reason.  It will prove that the third party situation on the Wii is indeed not the product of rational thinking, but the response of an industry angry at Nintendo for disrupting its market, moving its cheese, upending its tea table, etc.

All this is too much to place at The Conduit's feet, of course.  All I really want from the game is a fun time, and my predictions of doom are just for fun (it's not like I know anything).  You can't say High Voltage isn't at least partly to blame for all the punditry about it, though.  They know it's good for publicity.

Edit:  If anyone particularly pedantic comes along, I know I didn't really use the phrase "upend the tea table" right.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 06:17:25 PM by UltimatePartyBear »

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2009, 12:40:38 PM »
I think some publishers will still reject the Wii even if it proves itself with Conduit, I expect those publishers to be pretty irrelevant in a few years as those who do react will reap big incomes and thus have more capacity to release games. Then again by the time Conduit comes out the Wii is already what, 2.5 years old? How much time would the late comers have to even get a game out?

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2009, 02:23:56 PM »
I loved Red Steel. Sure it's an average game and a lot of people hate it, but there's something about turning your pistol side ways and shooting someone in the face that other games just can't replicate.

Perfect Dark did that :)
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2009, 03:14:10 PM »
So did UT, the difference is that in Red Steel it's not a button you press and your character does it but YOU do it.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2009, 07:11:08 PM »

All Ubisoft wanted to prove was that they could make a quick buck by having some Wii games available right at launch.  To say otherwise is give them way too much credit.  Red Steel was never supposed to be good or bad, it was just supposed to get that launch day sale.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2009, 07:19:34 PM »

All Ubisoft wanted to prove was that they could make a quick buck by having some Wii games available right at launch.  To say otherwise is give them way too much credit.  Red Steel was never supposed to be good or bad, it was just supposed to get that launch day sale.

T_T  Sad, but it's sounding more and more true as time goes on. Oh Ubisoft, how you deceived us!

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2009, 09:33:14 PM »
way, as cool as i thought it would be, i never ended up using it that way in RS because it threw my aiming off and i have ocd about headshots most of the time. I did on occassion n for it in PD either :) though some very early trailers made it seem as though you could....any

So did UT, the difference is that in Red Steel it's not a button you press and your character does it but YOU do it.

Technically you didnt need a button press to do it in PD either :) although.... some early trailers made it look like there was one at some point...

thats besides the point. anyway, as cool as that was, i never really did that in RS. it threw my aim off and i have ocd about headshots sometimes. I did on occasion try to replicate a move from (i think) the matrix. It involves holding the uzi, tilted left, and emptying a clip while spraying your shorts to the right as you tilt it the other way. never looks as good as the movies :(
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 01:14:34 PM by EasyCure »
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2009, 11:11:47 PM »
r u ok?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2009, 08:32:35 AM »
Quoting failure?

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 12:08:50 PM »
That's what happens when you try to post while cutting yourself, I guess.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2009, 01:16:10 PM »
r u ok?

Quoting failure?

Holy crap you're right, that was epic fail. I'll blame it on my stupid phone.

That's what happens when you try to post while cutting yourself, I guess.

You know I'm pretty cool about the stupid emo jokes that go around cuz i know its all in fun, but that ones a little uncalled for because i know people that've done that and aren't around anymore.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2009, 01:29:20 PM »
told u i was hardcore

• Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2009, 08:18:44 PM »
Yeah, I crossed a line there.  For some reason, that didn't stop me from posting for once.  I should have just saved the evidence and kept quiet.