Author Topic: Pokémarathon Parade  (Read 4596 times)

Offline King Bowser Koopa

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 7
    • View Profile
Pokémarathon Parade
« on: May 17, 2011, 12:38:02 AM »

Join us as we watch the entire series of Pokémon movies!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/26022

In celebration of the upcoming American DVD release of the 13th Pokémon movie, Zoroark: Master of Illusions, it seems as fitting a time as ever to look back on the entire series of feature films based on the household franchise.

Related to the anime series and loosely following the general continuity of the show, the movies follow the story of Ash Ketchum, the plucky young trainer on his journey through each of the games' regions, accompanied by his small group of friends and large group of Pokémon.

The movies are generally designed to show off the rare, one-of-a-kind, or “Legendary” Pokémon from each generation of games. They are also known for sometimes revealing new Pokémon from an upcoming region in the next generation of games, to build up mystery and keep the hype for each new game alive.

Additionally, every movie, at least in Japan, has been animated with an accompanying short film centering around everyone's favorite yellow rodent Pikachu, who interacts with the main characters' Pokémon (at the time of screening anyway) and generally fills the screen with nonsensical jibberish cuteness. Only the first six of these Pikachu shorts were ever dubbed in English, though several standalone specials were released direct to home video.

So, without any further achu (see what I did there?), Let's get our Pokém-on (no more puns, I promise) and reminisce over the entire collection of Pokémon films.

Andrew Brown - NWR Australia Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Pokémarathon Parade
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 10:28:38 AM »
I remember when I saw the first one in the theatres it was a big deal for me.  I was in High School at the time so I had my Dad take me to the a showing away from where we would normally go and insisted on getting my Mew card.  I liked how the first one was in the shows continuety but, ended in such a way as to not mess with it.  That is the only one I've seen actually.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 02:55:50 PM »
I saw the first film in theatres with a female friend. She cried when Ash died.

I remember there was a kid in front of me who kept saying the pokémon's names as they appeared on screen—"hey, kid! shut up, they say their own names!"

Offline Ryan Cannon

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 04:19:54 PM »
I always like the second generation the best for some reason...
Normal people don't affect me...

Offline SilverQuilava

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 04:42:17 PM »
hehe! The Nostalgia Critic reviewed Pokemon The First Movie X)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 06:32:33 PM »
I remember when I saw the first one in the theatres it was a big deal for me.  I was in High School at the time so I had my Dad take me to the a showing away from where we would normally go and insisted on getting my Mew card.  I liked how the first one was in the shows continuety but, ended in such a way as to not mess with it.  That is the only one I've seen actually.

That's basically what killed the movie for me: the ending. It would have been slightly fine in itself if they didn't get very preachy about it. Having Mewtwo erase everyone's memories by the end kind of defeats the purpose of hammering the message home. Plus, it just feels cheap.

For what it's worth, it can be enjoyed, but the constant preaching and the ending kill it.

As for my top three movies in the series:
Pokemon 4ever (which I wrote about): I really liked the story and the twist at the end. It got very melodramatic more than once, but I still like it.

Pokemon 3: Entei is my favorite of the three legendary dogs, and I thought the story was both sweet and cool, especially with the Unown (which are useless in battle but amazing in concept).

Lucario and the Mystery of Mew: Now, it's been a while since I've seen this movie but I didn't find Lucario to be THAT angsty. Mewtwo was far worse, I think, since Lucario has a good reason for feeling this way.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 11:42:24 AM »
12,000 words...

I don't even know what to say.

I almost cried during Lucario and the Mystery of Mew.

ALSO IM VERY VERY SORRY FOR FOGETTING ABOUT MAFIA GUYS :( PWEASE FORGIVE ME!
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 11:57:44 AM »
Vote RABicle
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline roykoopa64

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 06:47:24 PM »
My friend and I watched this in the theater when it came out, it was pretty exciting. Good overview of the movie!
Fanático de Nintendo desde 1985

My Miiverse profile