Author Topic: New Metallica Album: St. Anger  (Read 18718 times)

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
New Metallica Album: St. Anger
« on: February 08, 2003, 10:07:59 PM »
I know there's gotta be some Metallica fans here other than me so I decided to make this topic. Basically Metallica announced the name of there new album which is St. Anger(read:Saint Anger)and should be released on June 10th. Also according to James one of the songs on the album will be titled St. Anger. Hopefully this is a sign that Metallica is moving back to the older days since Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, and ...And Justice for All had title tracks. In an interview with the band Lars was asked if this album would go back to the old days. Lars responded by saying that he didn't like the term going back and rather looked at as they were coming full circle. Basically they've gone so far in one direction and have come back around. He went on to say that the music was faster and heavier for this album.

Metallica will also be going on the Summer Sanitarium 2003 tour with Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, and a couple of other bands who I can't remember.

Click here to read the press release about the album name and the tour. Also I think it's fairly important that you click here  and download a radio interview from www.ksjo.com that the band did that talks about the name of the new album, its sound, Jason, and Napster. Okay, this is the interview that I had downloaded from www.98rock.com. It's better than the first one because it's the whole interview instead of being broken up into parts.            
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline sequoia

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2003, 02:36:03 AM »
Yeaaaa. THey haven't released any new albums snice re-load. There was S&M and Garage inc. but nothing orignal.  And I think the other bands there touring with is Deftones and mudvayne  And its coming to detoit, 1 hour from where I live.
I am what I created. Believing in my fate. Integrity is my name.
All that I am doin, can never be ruined. The Torn Outlaw.

Offline MetalHead666

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2003, 11:55:30 AM »
I am excited for the new album, but that tour is terrible.  I hope the stage collapses on Linkin park and limp bizkit.  The are two of the worst bands in the history of music.  I do like Mudvayne though.  Met and Mudvayne is almost enough to get me to go.  Metallica is my favorite band ever, but I am not going to sit through full sets of LP and LB just to see them play, Ill wait till their fall tour.  But if I would go to it I would hit the Detroit one, it is only an Hour away from me as well.
WIND WAKER=MASTERPIECE!!!

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2003, 01:28:48 PM »
I wanted to let you guys know www.allmetallica.com has samples of two songs that may or may not be on the new album. You can find them by clicking here and then downloading the samples titled "Studio Clip" and "DK Rolls" (they should be the first two). Both of these songs are some of the stuff they are working on for the new album but they are rough drafts so if they even make it on the album they will probably sound different or have different lyrics. As you can tell both songs are faster and heavier although they still have a touch of Load and Reload in them. This wouldn't really bother me as long as they are fast and heavy but like I said earlier these songs will probably sound different even if they do make it onto the album. Out of the two I personally like Dead Kennedy Rolls best even though Shadow's of the Cross is pretty cool too. Enjoy.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2003, 05:43:02 PM »
One thing that's really bothering me is that stupid song they did in collaberation with Ja Rule. That was the stupidest thing ever and they should be severely beaten for it. Other than that, it sounds good. And another thing... Whatever happened to Korn, Ozzy, Disturbed, and Slipknot being on the Summer Sanitarium. I know that Korn has been on it almost the whole time, so what happened to them?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2003, 08:42:30 PM »
I wouldn't worry about the Ja Rule thing. For one thing Lars and Kirk were the only ones involved in it. James was in rehab at the time. Also they didn't actually make any music for that track. Ja Rule was allowed to listen to and pick some riffs he liked out of songs he listened to and then do his rap thing. Also from my understanding everything they had been working on during 2001 (which is  what Ja Rule would have picked from) was scrapped after James got out of rehab in favor of doing heavier thrashier stuff. During 2001 Kirk had commented that the stuff they were working on at that time was a lot like I Disappear. Now however with the stuff they are working on now they have described it as being much heavier than their previous stuff and more in the vein of their original 4 albums.  

Offline MetalHead666

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2003, 06:09:20 PM »
Thank god.  They need to thrash once again.  I have been listening to cryptopsy a lot lately to get my super heavy fix.  If you want to hear the greatest drummer on the face of the planet check out cryptopsy, the man has no competition.  I recommend the songs, crown of horns, phobophile, benedictine convulsions, orgiastic disembowelment, Cold Hate warm blood(my favorite) and We Bleed

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
New Metallica Album: St. Anger *UPDATE*
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2003, 08:58:09 AM »
Well the new bass player has been officially announced. It's Rob Trujillo. You can read all about it by clicking  here.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2003, 09:30:29 PM »
I wanted to let you guys know about a nice review that was done for St. Anger in the new So What issue. Bernoulli at the www.tabcrawler.com forums posted the review which you can read by clicking here. It should be noted that this is from Metallica's official magazine (So What) and that Jim Murphy (the writer of the review) had won a contest through the mag. The prize was being allowed to interview the band, listen to, and do a review for the new album. This means that there is a chance that Jim Murphy is exaggerating and of course considering it is from a Metallica fan in the official mag it's definitely biased. Still in defense of Jim Murphy he did give quite a few details on the sound. He didn't just come out and say the music rocked he actually went into details about how it sounded. Also he is a member of the www.metallica.com forums and has posted that he doesn't like Load and Re-Load. With those two things in mind I don't think that the review is exaggerated BS which means I'm very excited about this new album.

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2003, 08:42:57 AM »
I think Metallica has sadly been pretty irrelevant for quite a few years now, and a cheesy title like "St. Anger" sort of goes to back this up.  I'm not trying to spit in the face of anyone's favorite band, but I think their time has passed.  Not a very quanitfiable statement, perhaps, but it's what I've thought about them for years and years.  Only the most hardcore fans still defend them, it seems.

Oh, and the fact that Metallica is touring with the likes of Literally Limp Bizkit and Linkin Log Park just goes to prove my point even more.  LB has had a few hits, but doesn't anyone else get tired of the teen-angst-I-hate-my-parents-and-blame-them-for-everything rant?  Heck, even Fred Durst said last year that he realized all the hate-filled lyrics he was writing were immature.  And Linkin Park is very catchy but weak.  Down with Nu-Metal!  Down with Nickelback!  Down with the sickness!  ;-)

Oh, and Creed really, really sucks.  Just saying.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2003, 09:41:36 AM »
I disagree with Metallica being irrelevant. Just because they haven't put out a studio in 6 yrs doesn't mean a band is irrelevant. Also they are still extremely popular. I think it's best to wait till the new album comes out till you say they are dead.

The fact that they are touring with LP and LB doesn't matter. It's not going to affect their music. They almost always tour with whatever is big at the moment and it has never changed their sound. In fact I haven't liked just about any of the bands they have toured with in the past and it didn't affect their music or my opinion of them.

Also James has said the title St. Anger refers to the fact that growing up in a religious family he wasn't allowed to express anger which resulted in him becoming an angry person. Besides lets talk about cheesy titles. How about Kill 'Em All. That's pretty damn cheesy if you ask me. Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, and ...And Justice For All can all be considered cheesy but did that mean the music in those albums was bad? Hell no.

As far as only "hardcore fans" defending them in my experience with Metallica fans you either are a hardcore fan or you don't like them at all. Besides why would casual fans care enough to defend them anyway? That's why they are called casual fans.  

Offline Sean

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2003, 06:14:34 PM »
I didn't say the albums were bad.  I said "St. Anger" was a cheesy title.  I also didn't say that Metallica was "dead" but "irrelevant," which is actually completely different.  Which is worse is up to you.

But, you back up my point even more--they haven't released in 6 years.  I thought you were being sarcastic when you acted like that wasn't a big deal...haha.  ;-)

On top of that, I found the last album or so they DID release pretty weak.  That's just me.  No big deal.  I'm not attacking the band, but they are in a bit of trouble, image-wise, as most people seem to see pretty clearly.  I hope they have a comeback on their next album and they show a lot of the crappy nu-metal bands how to do what they've been trying to do.

Fair enough?  ;-)
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2003, 06:41:13 PM »
I never said that you said that the new album was bad. I honestly don't see why the 6 yrs thing is so bad. It's not like they have been idle that whole time. They put out S&M in 98, Garage Inc. in 99, and had been touring up until 2001 if I'm not mistaken. So they have not been "irrelevant" for quite a few years now. In my opinion they have actually been pretty busy up until the last two yrs but that is because they have been working on the new album. They started working on the new album sometime in 2001 but had some stuff get in the way like James' rehab, Jason leaving the band, and their families. Once James got out of rehab they decided to start all over again from scratch with the new album which is why it has taken so long. Finally if you are a band like Metallica and have become irrelevant then in my opinion that's pretty much the same as being dead.  

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2003, 06:52:17 PM »
  Metallica have always been slow to release albums.  2 years to 3 year average[except for kill em all and lightning].  Lets give these guys a break, i mean they are in their 40's now.  They're living legends.  That being said, BOB ROCK MUST DIE!  he ruined the heavy thrash songs when he produced the Black album, which i rank 5th on their list.  Actually, 6th!  Garage days is 5th! Bob Rock actually convinced them that they "never sounded like a band", and to" cut the length of their songs" Hopefully, they can regain some magic.  Have you guys heard the metallica -mustaine collaberations yet?  If not, let me tell ya, they're heavy!
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2003, 07:33:08 AM »
In a recent interview with Lars he said just about all the songs on the new album are around 6 to 8 mins long. Also the few people you have gotten to listen to it have all said it sounds very heavy and fast. A lot like the 80s stuff. Of course we won't know until they release the album on June 10 or hopefully they will release a single sometime soon.

Offline Rancid Planet

• Hobo pill hypnotizes over the internet
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2003, 08:24:08 PM »

Originally posted by: The Omen
Lets give these guys a break, i mean they are in their 40's now.

A common misconception about this band is the age of it's members. All three "full" members of the band are 37 or 38.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2003, 02:18:47 AM »
   I was exagerating a bit with the 40's comment, but you get what I'm saying.  They still rock hard on their worst days.  ......I downloaded a song called 'Hunger'.  Does anyone know if thats on the new album?  It says it's Megadeth and Metallica, but I only hear Hetfield singing.  Maybe Mustaine on guitar?  At any rate, the song is great.  Another one is 'sleeping peace'.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2003, 04:06:31 AM »

Birthdates:

November 18, 1962- Kirk Lee Hammett

August 3, 1963- James Alan Hetfeild

December 16, 1963- Lars Ulrich

If i'm not mistaken, they will all be 40 by the end of this year. [hammett is already]

I knew they had to be in the 40 range, considering they've been around over 20 years.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2003, 04:26:27 AM »
yes time flies.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2003, 08:31:34 AM »
Before you guys get to excited about new Metallica stuff you download off of kazaa you need to know it's all fake. Most of that stuff has been on a kazaa or whatever you are downloading it off of for like 2 or 3 yrs now. It's just some jerks that are taking other peoples songs and labeling them as new Metallica stuff. The only thing that is confirmed to be real new stuff is Shadows of the Cross and Dead Kennedy Rolls which I posted links to samples in my second post.  

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2003, 11:59:29 AM »
  Yeah, I hear what you're saying, but it definately sounds like Metallica.  I listen to them all the time.  So, I 'll be aggravated if it turns out that they're fake.  As far as the 2 confirmed, they sound pretty good.   Good to hear Lars bashing those drums again.

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2003, 07:15:01 PM »
Well prepare to be aggravated. The song Hunger is by a band called Eternal Decision. From my understanding they are some Christian band. Besides that sounded nothing like James to me and was kind of a crappy song anyway. I can't stress enough that any song you download off kazaa or any other file sharing thingy that claims to be new Metallica stuff is fake. I'm not trying to be mean or anything I just don't want people to be mislead because of some jerks labeling non-Metallica stuff as Metallica.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2003, 07:25:06 PM »
yeah has anyoen noticed thi. there are a ton of christian bands...and they all get famous for soundign just liek osmeoen else. The only christian band that seems to me to be pretty cool is chavell. I wish most these bands would try to be original and devlop their own sound.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2003, 06:47:25 AM »
  Hunger=off my playlist...LOL   I also noticed theres 2 of the same song, 1 thats sounds like james and 1 that sounds like a james/creed siger hybryd.   At any rate, thanks for clearing it up.  

Offline MetalHead666

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2003, 10:43:35 AM »
Metallica is probably the last band that will have new material leaked early, it is almost an impossibility since they record in their own stuidio, they dont go to recording studios like most bands.

As for the guy who said they are irrelavent, Is he braindead.  Is there any question that millions of people are eagerly awaiting this CD?  Not at all?  Is ther any question that this album, bad title or not, will easily go platinum?  Of course it wiil.  Metallica is still one of the MOST relevant bands out there.  Who does he consider releavent, good charllote, sum 41, avril lavigne?