Author Topic: OFFICIAL Metal Gear Discussion  (Read 180659 times)

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: OFFICIAL Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes Discussion
« Reply #250 on: May 14, 2003, 09:52:48 AM »
Hang on.  I'm downloading the trailer from IGN, but their server is bogged down real bad, and it will take a while.

I'll let you know what I think when I see it.  Has the full 12 minute MGS3 trailer been released yet?  I have been focused on GameCube software, and haven't had time to check PS2 yet.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
OFFICIAL Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes Discussion
« Reply #251 on: May 14, 2003, 10:22:38 AM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja

Originally posted by: Berto2K
According to an article at cube-europe.com, in another press conference concerning this game they clarified where it is coming from. Supposedly, they are trying to combine MGS and MGS 2 together into one game. Two games in one, awesome.

MGS: TS info

This sounds like a good bet.  All the screenshots of the trailer I have seen have shown bits and pieces from the first 5 minutes of the game.  I have just woken up from sleeping for the last 16 hours, but I am trying to hunt down a video of the trailer right now.  If anyone has a copy, or knows where to find one, please post here, or send me a PM/email.  Much appreciated, thanks.

But from the sounds of PGC's press conference review, it sounds like this is NOT a straight port.  The above post that I quoted might very well be correct.

MGS2 was originally supposed to be much different than it turned out according to some hardcore Metal Gear fans that I know.  The part on the Big Shell was actually supposed to be MGS3, and MGS2 was supposed to be a continuation of the Tanker stage, which would feature a rampaging Metal Gear in NYC.  However, after the events of 9/11, that was cut, and MGS3 was incorporated into the game instead.

I don't know how true this is, but if it IS true, this might be the MGS2 that we were SUPPOSED to see, included into MGS: TTS.

I think what you have been told is a bit far fetched Grey Ninja. I know something were changed due to 9/11 in MGS2, but from what I hear it wasn't nearly as major as you've been told. Besides, at the time MGS2 was in production Kojima had no intention of doing a MGS3 so it would be hard for him to incorporate it into MGS2. He only changed his mind after months of fans bugging him for a sequel to MGS featuring Snake as the lead.

I've seen the pics of MGS:TS at Gaming Age along with the pics of MGS3:SE. When I saw the pics of MGS:TS thought the game looked good but not stellar and that feeling was only increased when I saw the MGS3 screens. To me MGS3 looks more impressive graphically than Twin Snakes. Given the fact that MGS3 is on PS2 hardware and Twin Snakes is on GC hardware I'm find that disconcerting. After seeing the photos available what does everyone else think? To tell you the truth MGS3 has to be the best looking PS2 game I've seen, it looks like it should be a GC or X-box title graphically.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 14, 2003, 10:30:07 AM »
I agree that MGS3 looks a whole lot better, both content wise, and graphically, but I am not about to say that it WILL be better yet.  I want to sample both games first.  If I had a PS2, I would be assuring you right now that I would be buying both games.  As it stands, I will buy MGS3 if it comes to PC (and proves itself to be worth my money), and I will buy MGS: TS for CERTAIN, simply because I am an extreme fan of MGS, and I have faith that SK will do the game justice.  (sigh... 44% on the MGS: TS trailer.)

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 14, 2003, 11:19:09 AM »
To the guy who I just noticed was saying that the PSX version of MGS looks just as good as MGS: TS:  Try playing the game again.  Preferrably on a REAL PSX, but an emulator or PS2 will do just fine.  The game looks a million times better.  Not MGS3 good, but definately of GameCube quality.  It's a real pity that SK didn't make it as aesthetically pleasing as MGS3, but I think they have it up to MGS2 levels anyways.  That's a good start.

I just watched the trailer for it though (without sound.  Public computer), and I have to say that the game simply looks like a kick-ass remake of Metal Gear Solid.  I see now what PGC meant in their review of the game.  It was a part that like a total moron... I had forgotten about.  

The enemies that were being killed by someone other than Snake... was of course the part in the long hallway, where Grey Fox was slashing the sh!t out of the guards.

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 14, 2003, 03:21:14 PM »
"Basically, it'll be MGS1 but with the moves of MGS2. "

Yeah, I agree.

From the Video you can see snake dragging and stuffing a corpse into a locker.  That was only done with MGS2.  

And it's not a shot from MGS2 since there wasn't any snow missions in MGS2.

:-0

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 14, 2003, 07:50:01 PM »
Yeah, I retracted my earlier comment when I saw the video for myself.  It was clear that I had misread PGC's spoiler free impressions when they were discussing THAT scene.

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 14, 2003, 10:53:01 PM »
I just finished listening to an interview with Hideo Kojima and he said that the game is essentially MGS1 but with MGS2 gameplay mechanics and such.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 14, 2003, 11:42:24 PM »
...you could do that in MGS1.
"And when he gets to heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell:
One more soldier reporting Sir,
I've served my time in hell."

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 14, 2003, 11:55:51 PM »
MGS3 looks better graphically than MGS:TS.  I know pictures don't do justice, but damn, I didn't know the PS2 could pump out that much detail.  The environments look really detailed.  I really hope SK pump the graphics up for MGS:TS, although they do look really smooth and crisp.

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 15, 2003, 12:21:59 PM »
I just watched the trailer (you can download it at www.gamesradar.com) and I have to say that, sadly for SK and GCN, it just made me want to play through the original again. It WAS a masterpiece. I'm not sure It'll be the same this time through...

And I've just read IGN PS2's interview with HK about MGS3. It sounds AWESOME.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 15, 2003, 12:40:39 PM »
Ninja: MGS: TS looks a lot better than the original MGS, but it's still pretty early in development and does have some rather blurry textures and jaggies. Of course, that will all be fixed by the final version if Eternal Darkness is any testament to Silicon Knights's graphical abilities.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 15, 2003, 12:56:54 PM »
The textures are pretty bad, but the game itself does not look as bad as the PSX version in ANY way.  With a texture overhaul, and some FSAA, then it would be up to MGS2 standards in no time.

I haven't seen the full trailer for MGS3 yet, but the still shots that are everywhere... kind of make me go eeewww... at times.  Some of the textures in MGS3 just plain suck, and are much worse than the worst in MGS: TS.  The first teaser that was leaked just made me go WOW! but it could have been the low quality of the movie that did it.  The still shots don't look nearly as good.

Offline VideoGamerX

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 15, 2003, 04:31:01 PM »
I don't know why everyone must jump to conclusions and start making predictions. We hardly know anything about either title. Most of you make this sound like a direct remake with nothing new in it. If Shigeru Miyamoto and Hideo Kojima are involved, then I think it's going to be quite a bit different. I doubt either of the two would involve themselves in something so cheap. It doesn't make sense.

And for the record, the Twin Snakes trailer totally kicked the crap out of the MGS3 one. It was a lot more exciting to watch. It was fun to watch, and really made me happy.

Metal Gear Solid 3's trailer just made me laugh a little. It was impressive, but it was too short and didn't tell me much about the game.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 15, 2003, 05:02:34 PM »

Originally posted by: VideoGamerX
I don't know why everyone must jump to conclusions and start making predictions. We hardly know anything about either title. Most of you make this sound like a direct remake with nothing new in it. If Shigeru Miyamoto and Hideo Kojima are involved, then I think it's going to be quite a bit different. I doubt either of the two would involve themselves in something so cheap. It doesn't make sense..

Hate to break it to you, but it IS a simple remake.  They are redoing some of the key scenes, but the game is still the same game.  I am sure that the fight with Psycho Mantis will be changed around like crazy, it looks like some new dialog is added, and the graphics have gotten a huge boost, but really, it's the same game.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!  As it stands, MGS is one of the greatest games I have ever played.  I am THRILLED with the idea of a remake.

Originally posted by: VideoGamerX
And for the record, the Twin Snakes trailer totally kicked the crap out of the MGS3 one. It was a lot more exciting to watch. It was fun to watch, and really made me happy.

Metal Gear Solid 3's trailer just made me laugh a little. It was impressive, but it was too short and didn't tell me much about the game.

I haven't seen the 12 minute MGS3 trailer yet, but I thought the teaser for it rocked.  It was very reminiscent of Metal Gear 1 & 2, which is a very good thing.  It made me nostalgic, and it was very well done.  The MGS trailer was interesting, but they didn't show enough gameplay footage to really do the job for me.  It was concentrating far too much on the NGC theme.    Besides, there wasn't anything in there I hadn't already seen before.  I really wish they would have shown a bit of Sniper Wolf... although I AM very happy that they featured a lot of Grey Fox!  

I CANNOT wait to see the Sniper Wolf scenes on the GameCube version...

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 15, 2003, 08:26:32 PM »
It seems that Twin Snakes will also have GCN/GBA connectivity features. There are so many cool things they could do with this in TS. The GBA could be radar, your codec, etc. All this without any addition GBA game or Konami could be remaking Metal Gear: Ghost Babel for GBC for GBA with some sort of connectivity features. I'm hoping for the former. I rather have an all new Metal Gear for GBA.

Darc Requiem

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 15, 2003, 09:16:29 PM »
I'm really excited about this game, but where can one find videos and screen shot plus info\plots on this game? "yes I've played the original"

how does Ninja a.ka. Grey Fox look?
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 16, 2003, 06:57:31 AM »
Almost Identical, but with a gloss-mapped head and a few extra polygons.

FSAA? This is Gamecube we're talking about here, not XBox. You cant expect them to do good graphics AND have FSAA (unless its interlaced or some other method, unlike real subpixel AA)

And finally, there' one massive problem with MGS:TTS -- it doesn't have the "WOW!" factor of the original. My guess - it'll be good, but not as good as MGS1. Also, how can you complain that MGS3's trailer didnt show enough gameplay when TTS's showed NONE at ALL?

But MGS3? WOW, is all I have to say. It's set in the Cold War, apparently. The site is awesome. It's gonna rock, I think.

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 16, 2003, 07:41:17 AM »

Originally posted by: boggy b
Almost Identical, but with a gloss-mapped head and a few extra polygons.

FSAA? This is Gamecube we're talking about here, not XBox. You cant expect them to do good graphics AND have FSAA (unless its interlaced or some other method, unlike real subpixel AA)

And finally, there' one massive problem with MGS:TTS -- it doesn't have the "WOW!" factor of the original. My guess - it'll be good, but not as good as MGS1. Also, how can you complain that MGS3's trailer didnt show enough gameplay when TTS's showed NONE at ALL?

But MGS3? WOW, is all I have to say. It's set in the Cold War, apparently. The site is awesome. It's gonna rock, I think.

Yes this Gamecube we're talking about here. When you get a launch title with bumpmapping, impressive lighting, FSAA, running at 60fps in Hi Res, you expect the same of all AAA games. This Gamecube we are talking about not PS2. As for the game I mentioned, Rogue Squadron 2. RS3 is pushing even more polys with all the aforemention effects. Metroid Prime lacked bumpmapping but it definately had better than good graphics and FSAA. Star Fox Dinosaur Planet had great graphics and FSAA...game was average but we are talking graphics here. Those are just 4 examples if you want more I can list them.

Darc Requiem

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 16, 2003, 08:13:20 AM »
"The MGS trailer was interesting, but they didn't show enough gameplay footage to really do the job for me. It was concentrating far too much on the NGC theme."

I know.  What the hell was up with that?  It was like some sort of sick running gag.  Otherwise the trailer was pretty cool though.

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 16, 2003, 10:26:58 AM »
It seems nitpicky, but it was NOT correct (subpixel) anti-aliasing.

And I just downloaded the MGS3 trailer, and I have one word:

WOW!

It looks amazing, but the guy in the trailer isn't Snake! It's Big Boss, his right eye is missing! Plus, it's set in the 60s and Snake wasn't 'born' until 1970!

There are also some cool conversations between 'Snake' and some of the characters in the game, involving Grand Theft Auto and the launch date...

Graphically, it's very lush, and the jungle is simply mindblowing. Not only is it the most realistic jungle I've ever seen in a videogame, but it's running on PS2 aswell!

And there is NO WAY MP has FSAA... Not even screen blurring to create the impression...  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 16, 2003, 11:16:02 AM »
boggy, please use some fact in your arguments.  In almost all accounts, the GCN is every bit as powerful as the Xbox.  The difference between the two is marginal, whatever hype you might have heard.  FSAA is very possible on GameCube, ok?  I suggest you go play some Rogue Leader and see for yourself.  Then go play some Shrek on Xbox.  

And there is absolutely no reason why Twin Snakes wouldn't be as good as Metal Gear Solid 1, ok?  Keep such fanboyish thoughts to yourself.

As for the graphics in the MGS3 trailer, yes, they are stylish, they do the job just fine.  But look at the textures.

Offline Akugi

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 16, 2003, 11:46:19 AM »

Originally posted by: boggy b
It seems nitpicky, but it was NOT correct (subpixel) anti-aliasing.

And I just downloaded the MGS3 trailer, and I have one word:

WOW!

It looks amazing, but the guy in the trailer isn't Snake! It's Big Boss, his right eye is missing! Plus, it's set in the 60s and Snake wasn't 'born' until 1970!

While I agree with you, you forget that big boss lost his eye when he fell down onto the harrier in MGS2...

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 16, 2003, 11:54:17 AM »
Grey Ninja is right, why would MGS1 be better than MGS:TTS? this is a remake if anything it'll be the other way around. Much as RE:Rebirth was in everyway better than the original, so too shall MGS:TTS.

boggy b You seem to imply that only xbox can pull any amazing feat off,
But the truth of the matter is that while both systems have they're strength and weaknesses, they both are equal in power more or less to a certain extent. But GameCube has an advantage, do you know what that is? Think processor and speed and which can do it in a short amount of time

From the screen shots of Snake in MGS:TTS I'm impressed, he looks much better than he did MGS2. Although textures in the game need polishing but other than that, it's coming along fine.
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline boggy b

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 16, 2003, 02:14:24 PM »
But there are LOTS of types of AA. PROPER (the best) AA is ONLY possible on XBox due to memory constraints (it has 64Mb of VRAM compared to GCN's 24Mb). It's called subpixel anti-aliasing, and it means that the frame is rendered at a very high resolution (say, 1600x1200) in the frame buffer, but then it is, for want of a better word, squished down to 640x480. There is no MAGICAL way to do this on the GCN, you NEED a lot of VRAM. There are, however, other types of AA (interlaced, for example) and there are ways it can appear to have AA (blurred screen etc.).

But, XBox (as much as we don't want to admit it) is CERTAINLY the most powerful of the three consoles out right now. There are things that developers can do with its Pixel Shaders that the other consoles can't get close to (even the PS2, with VU0 and VU1).

The textures in MGS3 are FINE. I don't know what you're all getting so worked up about.

And there is one LARGE reason why I don't think TTS will be as good as MGS1 - the WOW! factor. Sure, TTS is practically garunteed to be a very good game, but it CANT have that little bit more that puts it as an all-time classic (the story, for example).

Offline Moonwatcher

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 16, 2003, 05:18:21 PM »
That "wow factor" as you put it might not be there for you, but not everybody has played MGS.  I never have, and I'm excited as hell about TTS.
"Anything that, in happening, cuases itself to happen again, happens again.

It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order, though."

Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless