Author Topic: Lag, demystified?!?  (Read 3261 times)

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Lag, demystified?!?
« on: March 19, 2008, 08:53:06 PM »
I have a FLAWLESS connection to a guy in Maryland and yet I lag when connecting to players an hour drive from me (in NH).

I found out today that the player in MD and I BOTH HAVE VERIZON DSL!

Since our connections never leave the Verizon fiber channel, we have great connectivity. My advice: look for others on the same provider as you and see if you have the same results.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Lag, demystified?!?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 09:55:57 PM »
I have Verizon as well.  Maybe we should play a game, just the two of us?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 10:22:30 PM »
I have a FLAWLESS connection to a guy in Maryland and yet I lag when connecting to players an hour drive from me (in NH).

I found out today that the player in MD and I BOTH HAVE VERIZON DSL!

Since our connections never leave the Verizon fiber channel, we have great connectivity. My advice: look for others on the same provider as you and see if you have the same results.
Are games weren't bad and I'm ATT DSL.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 11:26:57 PM »
Well Smash_Brothers, and one other guy had a few battles with no lag, it wasn't until the last couple of matches where it lagged up a bit (more of a delay lag). Smash is clear on the east coast and I'm on the west coast, so I guess that is a good sign.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 12:29:08 AM »
It depends upon the layout of each channel, I'd guess. Across the US probably wouldn't matter due to the distance.

I could easily be wrong in this, but it is the ONLY explanation I have for why I can connect so fluidly to a guy in MD and not as well to Dirk who's an hour drive from me.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 09:57:47 AM »
In all honesty, SB, I think you are putting way too much thought into the lag situation.

The reason I say this is because you keep saying that you played Strikers and TF 2 and they ran smoothly and perfectly in your connection. If the issue was really the connection both games would be lag-tastic for you.

The answer to all of this is that Brawl features a terrible online system that can't handle multiple connections, even to people that are right next to each other.

I'm willing to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt and believe that people are jamming the servers with their hype. But my point still stands; if in 2 or 3 months the service is still laggy as all hell then online Brawl is officially the worst Nintendo online title in history...That is if Mario Kart Wii doesn't suffer from the same issue.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 10:24:25 AM »
In all honesty, SB, I think you are putting way too much thought into the lag situation.

The reason I say this is because you keep saying that you played Strikers and TF 2 and they ran smoothly and perfectly in your connection. If the issue was really the connection both games would be lag-tastic for you.

The answer to all of this is that Brawl features a terrible online system that can't handle multiple connections, even to people that are right next to each other.

I'm willing to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt and believe that people are jamming the servers with their hype. But my point still stands; if in 2 or 3 months the service is still laggy as all hell then online Brawl is officially the worst Nintendo online title in history...That is if Mario Kart Wii doesn't suffer from the same issue.
Or Mario Kart Wii could do online like Mario Kart Double Dash does LAN play.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 10:39:24 AM »

Or Mario Kart Wii could do online like Mario Kart Double Dash does LAN play.

I don't know why, but I have the feeling that MK Wii will provide a MUCH better online experience than Brawl.

Things can't possibly get worse than Brawl...*Knocks on wood
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 11:26:07 PM »

Well what would help a lot is if someone would actually start looking at some traces to see what's going on, but how do you fault a guy for trying to put thought into something?

(I'd run some traces, but don't have a wireless card for any of my computers and do not have a Ethernet adapter for the Wii)