Author Topic: DLC is coming to Wii  (Read 7815 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
DLC is coming to Wii
« on: February 24, 2008, 01:16:24 AM »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline walkingdead2

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
Re: DLC is coming to Wii
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 02:39:13 AM »
yea i cant wait to not store all this stuff on my hard drive that doesn't exist.

now come on now hard drives cost less than a buck a gig these days.  how hard would it be for Nintendo to make a 10 or 20 gig hard drive for the wii.  and charge a reasonable amount.  why do all these company's think solid state is the way to go.  it just costs to much these days.  i can buy a 500 gig hard drive for around 350 or so.

heres an external for 200
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8411426&st=hard+drives&type=product&id=1181347723845

i don't see what the big deal is.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 02:51:22 AM »
Awesome now we can pay for content that should have been in the game to begin with this generation is so so awesome :lovesmiley:

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 07:28:19 AM »
$350 for a 500B HDD is way too much. You can get 500GB online for around $150 or less. In fact, here's a link for a Samsung 500GB (internal) for $105 w/ free shipping.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152052 - if Nintendo wanted to sell be a $105 500GB HDD, I'd gladly buy it.

I'm all for DLC, it's better than waiting for sequels and whatnot, and also you get to (typically) pick and choose what you want. I would have been finished with RockBand and GH3 a long time ago if DLC wasn't an option.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 07:31:43 AM by Brandogg »
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 08:25:10 AM »
You could also buy one and then get an enclosure for it for around $40, then you'd have an external harddrive.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 01:45:36 PM »
Awesome now we can pay for content that should have been in the game to begin with

QFT.
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 09:47:56 PM »
I decided to look at my game collection, to see if there were any games where I would want DLC. Only two really:

- Additional Capture the Flag maps for Medal of Honor Heroes 2
- More fish and treasures for Endless Ocean.

Maybe I don't have games in my library that lend themselves to new content, but I tend to play through the game's storyline and I'm finished.

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 10:15:51 PM »
You guys are a bunch of whiners. It's online and everything! Kudos to Nintendo for finally caving in to consumer demand and incorporating features I have been eagerly anticipating from the beginning.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline walkingdead2

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 02:12:42 AM »
$350 for a 500B HDD is way too much. You can get 500GB online for around $150 or less. In fact, here's a link for a Samsung 500GB (internal) for $105 w/ free shipping.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152052 - if Nintendo wanted to sell be a $105 500GB HDD, I'd gladly buy it.

I'm all for DLC, it's better than waiting for sequels and whatnot, and also you get to (typically) pick and choose what you want. I would have been finished with RockBand and GH3 a long time ago if DLC wasn't an option.
i ha vent sh oped for hard drives in a long time so i was just ballparking it.  and then when you see that a xbox 360 hard drive starts at 100 bucks for the 20 gig it just does not make seance.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 02:16:12 AM »
You guys are a bunch of whiners. It's online and everything! Kudos to Nintendo for finally caving in to consumer demand and incorporating features I have been eagerly anticipating from the beginning.

Yeah, but with no external storage for the Wii, how are we supposed to store the stuff we download?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 02:30:23 AM »
The lack of HD support baffles me. On one hand, Nintendo is embracing the idea of unique and creative downloadable games as well as extra content for them and its own games. Yet, they pretend that the lack of memory is no problem at all.

I know Nintendo has the tendency of making stupid decisions, but this is too ignorant of them.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 03:16:05 AM »
*cue timely arrival of Ian*

How many VC games (on average) would we need to fill up the memory completely? If they don't want to make a hard drive, why not allow the use of flash drives (instead of my other derailed idea)?

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 03:46:07 AM »
Cuz Nintendo doesn't care about your core gamer problems.  They expect you to switch content in and out of your primary Wii flash memory cuz you and the others in your niche interest group will go to great lengths to do things Nintendo won't provide anyway.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 04:30:27 AM »
I just bought a 2GB SD card at Best Buy a few weeks ago (yay for sales) which should be enough for most things Nintendo offers or plans to offer. I figure, VC games are either compressed or extremely small to begin with and I don't expect WiiWare games to be too memory hefty.

Without a harddrive (which Nintendo seems to be greatly opposed to), any downloadable content Nintendo has in store or allows 3rd parties to offer through Wii Pay and Play will most likely not be anywhere near as elaborate as Microsoft allows on Xbox Live. This is probably all a response to Activision wanting to include downloadable songs to Guitar Hero 3. Seeing how epic fail Nintendo has been in terms of embracing online, I can't see anything along the lines of downloadable levels or whatnot.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 04:40:57 AM by Adrock »

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 07:23:52 AM »

How many VC games (on average) would we need to fill up the memory completely? If they don't want to make a hard drive, why not allow the use of flash drives (instead of my other derailed idea)?

Seriously. What is so goddamn hard about running games from the SD card?
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 10:07:04 AM »

Seriously. What is so goddamn hard about running games from the SD card?

Probably because of how Nintendo setup the architecture where applications such as games can't be ran and maybe when the Wii writes a VC game on the SD card, the VC game is probably encapsulated with some kind of encryption scheme which is probably why it takes a longer time than I expected to copy a 200+ block game and in reality it comes up as 10 - 13MB on my macbook.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 02:21:07 PM »
I have a ext 500 gig hard drive that I got for 116.99 which is now listed at amazon.com for 142.47.  Why the price is higher I don't know.

http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-301103U-Porsche-External-Drive/dp/B000H6CBA4/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1203967025&sr=8-2
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline planetidiot

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 06:51:10 AM »
I have a ext 500 gig hard drive that I got for 116.99 which is now listed at amazon.com for 142.47.  Why the price is higher I don't know.

http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-301103U-Porsche-External-Drive/dp/B000H6CBA4/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1203967025&sr=8-2

I got that one for $112 on sale months ago.  Something weird is going on.  It's like they decided 500GB was enough and aren't going to get any bigger.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 07:58:04 AM »
It's the limitation of the platters.  Seagate has drives that break that barrier but, like must of the cutting edge Seagate stuff, they are a little flaky.  Harddrives have had a good run as a technology but, in the current state they have reached a glass ceiling.

Also, Extra missions/campaign in BWii.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 09:22:47 AM »
I'd love to see extra retro tracks in Mario Kart via this.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 01:31:08 AM »
Endless Pikmin
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 04:32:58 AM »
Don't worry guys, the DLC Nintendo is promising will just be stuff already on the disc that is unlocked via an Internet connection, and THAT'S OKAY.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 04:43:10 AM by Svevan »
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 04:38:22 AM »
Proof. I demand elaborate proof!