Author Topic: help my gamecube says error has occured!  (Read 16732 times)

Offline wikedskata

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
help my gamecube says error has occured!
« on: March 28, 2003, 03:23:53 PM »
wat should i do and how much is it if i dont have a warranty to get it repaired
????

Offline wikedskata

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2003, 03:42:29 PM »
please respond i wana play wind waker
????

Offline Sleepyfoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2003, 03:52:31 PM »
Call Nintendo, they extended my warrenty when mine broke, so they will probably do the same for yours.  It doesn't hurt to try, and they almost always seem to do it, since their such wonderful people with "the majickal power to extend your warrenty"

Offline wikedskata

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2003, 03:52:46 PM »
bump
????

Offline wikedskata

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2003, 03:53:58 PM »
can i call em now??(10 pm)
????

Offline wikedskata

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2003, 04:00:56 PM »
n alos how long will it take
????

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2003, 04:13:24 PM »
Go to Nintendo.com and look for the Customer Service number.  I used to know it by heart, but not anymore.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline wikedskata

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2003, 04:48:47 PM »
bump
????

Offline teh1337h4x0r

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2003, 05:35:53 PM »
Mine had that problem about a month ago, right when my warrenty was up.  They didn't extend my warrenty, and I had to pay 80$ for a bad disk drive.  It wasn't even my fault.

Offline misterd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2003, 07:43:38 PM »
Would you please be a bit more specific with your problem as I too have just suffered an error message with my Wind Waker. It may be a bad batch of discs.

Here's the specifics behind mine:

I have not had any problems playing my GCN for 15 months. I've played through about 20 games with no problems (other than the occasional Metroid Freeze).

My FIRST Wind Waker disc looked ok, but the system would not read it. It took about 5-10 minutes of fiddling with the disc to get the system to finally recognize. Once the system did read it though, it played fine for two 4 hours sessions.

Not wanting to go through the hassel every time I played the game, I exchanged it for a second disc (from a different store in the same chain).

The NEW disc was recognized and loaded with no problems at all BUT after playing for about 2 hours (right before the Dragon's Roost Boss fight), the game started to have trouble at load points. I would get a message along the lines of "Cannot read disc". Simply opening and closing the cover though would generally be enough to get the game back on track (it continued from exactly the point at which the error occured). Finally I got a "Power DOwn your GCN" message.

I did shut the system down for about and hour, and tried again. After 15 minutes of play (as the boss levels were loading), the system ran into the same problems all over again.

So my question is: Is this the game, the disc, or the system?

I would think that, if the fault lie in either the game or the system, that the error should be the same for each disc. But its not. Each disc had distictly different errors. These problems were consistently unique to that disc. (I haven't had the chance to extensively test other games but they do seem to be working fine). That would lead me to believe that the flaw lie in the discs themselves, but I am not much of a tech head, and I do have trouble thinking that I would crap out twice on the same game when there have not been any reports of similar problems.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2003, 08:00:24 PM »
Try playing a different game and see if you get the same message.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2003, 08:19:35 PM »
"But if you have any problems, the customer service number is printed on every Nintendo Game Boy Advance System and Nintendo Gamecube system.  You can also reach Nintendo at their website, www.nintendo.com, for all of your questions and problems."

Sorry, media training left over from being on the Nintendo Street Team.

-Strell
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline teh1337h4x0r

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2003, 06:08:20 AM »

After 15 minutes of play (as the boss levels were loading), the system ran into the same problems all over again.

Sorry, classic signs of a bad disc drive.  What is happening is that the drive is overheating.  So after you play a long time, turn on it off then back on, its still hot.  

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2003, 06:35:41 AM »
yes your disc drive is over, dead, kaputt

you gotta get the disc drive exchanged
your symptoms are identical to mine, excactly the same
fixing should be around 80$ the most, really worth it though

EDIT:Misterd this was directed to you.
LZ 2005

Offline misterd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2003, 06:38:22 AM »
Tried again this morning. It took about 15 minutes of play for the error to occur.

The problem was also happening with Metroid now, so I guess I can safely rule out a disc problem.

What I want to know now is how prevelant this issue is. It seems there are 3 people here who had their systems spltz soon after the 1 year warranty. If this is widespread, it could really hurt what little momentum remains for the system.

Offline misterd

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2003, 07:23:21 AM »
Just contacted Nintendo. (1-800-255-3700)

I was worried about shelling out $80 to fix the system since I never got around to sending in my warrantee card and its been over a year since I got my GCN anyway.

BUT because I never activated my warantee, they just entered my serial number and activated it NOW, for the next 30 days, so I'll be able to take it to my nearest "authorized repair center" and get it fixed free. Win one for the procrastinators!

The bad news is that when I spoke to the repair center she immediately recognized the issue. I asked if this is common and she said it happens to "all of them." While I doubt (hopefully) that this is not truly an issue with 100% of the GCN's, I do find it upsetting that it is a widespread a problem.

PS - Thank hemmorroid you were abig help. Don't know why everyone says you're a pain in the ass.

Offline simpsonsfan2003

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2003, 08:29:52 AM »

Originally posted by: misterd
The bad news is that when I spoke to the repair center she immediately recognized the issue. I asked if this is common and she said it happens to "all of them." While I doubt (hopefully) that this is not truly an issue with 100% of the GCN's, I do find it upsetting that it is a widespread a problem.

That's the problem with industrialized nations, mass produced products equals defects.

Remember the old NES, it would only last about three years then it would just flash colors when you went to play it.

Don't buy Philips products they suck, I had a Philips DVD player and it kept freezing so I took it back and got a RCA player and payed the difference, RCA makes good products.

Well my friend I hope you get your system fixed.

adiue,
-SimpsonsFan2003

Offline NickNiteQ93

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2003, 09:43:39 AM »
how does your disc drive overheat?  my GC has been on for the past 4 days while I've played Wind Walker for about 3 hours at a time.  Do I need to start shuting it down?
I think, therefore I wish.  I wish, therefore I'll never get.          

Life is long and hard, so rock out with your cock out.

Nobody is perfect. I am Nobody. Therefore I am perfect.

Offline teh1337h4x0r

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2003, 11:22:47 AM »
No, only because it was broken was it overheating.

This sucks because I just shelled out 80 bucks to get mine repaired.  Why should I have had to pay for this when it "happens to all of them"?

Offline wikedskata

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2003, 03:51:25 PM »
YAH SAME W/ MINE CAUSE WEN IT LOADS LIKE A NEW ROOM IT SAYS CANOT READ DISK so can i just like let it cool down for a cuple a days or willl this still hapen  also i think nintendo shud cover this since it hapeens to all of them
????

Offline misterd

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2003, 04:23:30 PM »

Originally posted by: wikedskata
YAH SAME W/ MINE CAUSE WEN IT LOADS LIKE A NEW ROOM IT SAYS CANOT READ DISK so can i just like let it cool down for a cuple a days or willl this still hapen  also i think nintendo shud cover this since it hapeens to all of them

Go back reread my post. It tells you exactly who to call to get it fixed. Just leaving it to cool down won't do much of anything because as soon as you turn it on it will begin to overheat again.

Simponsfan - I will say that the defects are a preferable drawback when compared to living in non-industrial nations where there would be one lone GCN maker in a community making 2 or 3 each year!

Offline wikedskata

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2003, 04:43:20 AM »
can i lie and say i lost my warantee so i dont have to pay like u misterd so i can  give in my warantee now?
????

Offline misterd

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2003, 10:28:35 AM »
I wouldn't lie. I didn't. The warantee is registered by the console's serial number, so it wouldn't matter if you lost it. As long as neither you nor the store it was bought from has registered the console yet, you should get a 30 day warantee when you call them.

Offline wikedskata

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2003, 02:07:25 PM »
io mean like can i lie and say i lost it wen i never had 1 so they can register me then
????

Offline misterd

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2003, 04:38:28 PM »
Can't you read? No, you can't lie. That is, you can, but it'd be pointless. If you registered your warantee, they have it on file by your GCN's serial number. If you didn't register, then they will likely sign you up for 30 days just as they did me. Either way there is no reason to lie.