Author Topic: When you play VC games on your HD TV, do you...  (Read 9455 times)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
RE:When you play VC games on your HD TV, do you...
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2008, 02:57:14 PM »
That's an awesome price, though I believe I've actually seen it cheaper before, albeit it may have been a refurb. Still though, it was like $1500, including shipping. I think I'm definitely going to go with a Samsung as well, but I'm probably not going to buy a new TV until I sell my house. I may even go for a 65-71 incher. I believe my Toshiba is 52" (native 1920x1080, though it doesn't do 1080p, but it has pretty good deinterlacing), which was huge 3 years ago, but now it's not that impressive.

Edit - wow, 3 HDMI, 2 component, and VGA (and 2 S video, for the camcorder and maybe a VCR should I ever need to hook one up), I could get rid of my component switcher if I had all of those inputs.  
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: When you play VC games on your HD TV, do you...
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2008, 02:57:34 PM »
What about the warranty, Pale? Well, apart from the manufacturer's one.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2008, 05:32:01 AM »
I also have and enjoy a Samsung LED DLP, though I bought the 50" model (size of the room, and all that).

LCDs don't "burn-in" at all.  Burn-in has to do with phosphors actually burning out from heat and turning dark.  Any display that uses phosphors can suffer from it.  This includes CRTs, Plasmas, and the perpetually two years off SEDs.  LCDs can suffer from image persistance because they fade over time, and it's possible for a static image to cause uneven fading.

Whether you can avoid burn-in on those black bars by simply turning off that part of the screen really depends on the type of TV.  CRTs work this way.  LCDs work exactly the opposite way (the pixels making up the black bars are actually turned on).  I'm pretty sure plasmas can do this, but the reason they don't is so that the phosphors behind the bars will wear out at the same rate as all the others.  Otherwise you'd eventually have areas of the screen along the edges that are much brighter than the rest of it.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2008, 07:48:15 AM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
What about the warranty, Pale? Well, apart from the manufacturer's one.

Best Buy extended warranties are a rip-off in my opinion.

It's a simple matter of statistics.  Best Buy wouldn't sell them if costs of replacements and repairs averaged out to higher than the cost of the plan.  Therefore the same thing happens in reverse for the consumer, if the consumer NEVER buys warranties on items like that, on average, they will have spent less money in the long run than if they bought them on everything.

Samsung covers for a year and they do in home service, which is pretty damn nice.  I know this for a fact because I went through it with my tv...

You can read about it in this post at my site...
http://palehour.com/index.php?PBStart=35&PBPost=25

Also, if you REALLY want more than a year, you can buy it right from Samsung, which again seems like a better idea to me.

TL;DR version:
There is no way in hell a Best Buy warranty is worth the additional 500 bucks the tv will cost you as well as the price of the plan which is most likely 200-300 bucks.  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2008, 08:11:16 AM »
The Product Service Plan is a way to cash in an extra for the person that made the sale.  At least half of those $300 to $500 that you pay for the PSP is going to the seller, that's why when you go and buy a TV, or anything else, at FS or BB you should and can bargain with them.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2008, 08:21:27 AM »
By Pale's reasoning, insurance--including (but not limited to) health, home and auto--is also unadvised.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2008, 09:47:07 AM »
Well the other part of my reasoning comes in with the worst case scenario...

The worst case scenario if you don't have car insurance is you can't get your leg sewn back on, or you die.

The worst case scenario for not buying a protection plan on a TV is you have to buy a new tv.

Nothing is black and white.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2008, 10:01:06 AM »

Originally posted by: Pale
Well the other part of my reasoning comes in with the worst case scenario...

The worst case scenario if you don't have car insurance is you can't get your leg sewn back on, or you die.

The worst case scenario for not buying a protection plan on a TV is you have to buy a new tv.

Nothing is black and white.

What about if you get a Wiimote stuck into your skull? I bet you wish you had gotten the Best Buy Extended Warranty then wouldn't you? huh? huh?

The extended warranties are good if your rich and think your TV is broken when the batteries go dead in your remote.

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2008, 04:00:37 PM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear

Whether you can avoid burn-in on those black bars by simply turning off that part of the screen really depends on the type of TV.  CRTs work this way.  LCDs work exactly the opposite way (the pixels making up the black bars are actually turned on).  I'm pretty sure plasmas can do this, but the reason they don't is so that the phosphors behind the bars will wear out at the same rate as all the others.  Otherwise you'd eventually have areas of the screen along the edges that are much brighter than the rest of it.

Wait... so... I DON'T have to worry about Black Bars making my screen uneven on an LCD right?  I'm planning on buying a Philips 47" LCD 1080p near the end of next month, and now I'm starting to debate on doing that or going for a larger DLP set.  Are there any cons to DLP other than a slimmer viewing angle and having to replace the Color Wheel thingy?

Come play with my Twitter.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2008, 04:13:17 PM »
If you go DLP get a LED DLP.
All the benefits of DLP with all the care-free of LCD

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2008, 04:21:34 PM »
Haha, do you work in marketing?  :P

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2008, 03:26:43 AM »

Originally posted by: Maverick

Wait... so... I DON'T have to worry about Black Bars making my screen uneven on an LCD right?  I'm planning on buying a Philips 47" LCD 1080p near the end of next month, and now I'm starting to debate on doing that or going for a larger DLP set.  Are there any cons to DLP other than a slimmer viewing angle and having to replace the Color Wheel thingy?

I don't think it's really worth worrying about image persistence on LCDs.  It's not likely to happen in a typical household.

Most of the complaints about DLPs have to do with the rainbow effect and problems with the lamp (loud cooling fan, short lifespan, takes a while to warm up).  LEDs mostly take care of the former, and completely do away with the latter, so that's why there are so many fans around here.

There are pros and cons to every kind of display.  If you did your research and like that TV, don't worry about it.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2008, 04:28:26 AM »

Originally posted by: PartyBearThere are pros and cons to every kind of display.  If you did your research and like that TV, don't worry about it.

This is the best advice you can take.  Go do your own research on the different sets.  Weigh the pros and cons of each type of tv and whichever one you like best after going through all that is the one you want.

Go with what works for you, not with what someone else says will work for you.

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2008, 06:38:47 AM »
Sorry, just when people bring up stuff like "Image Persistence" and things like that my OCD kicks in or something and I start worrying about little things like watching TV in 4:3 and wondering if it will ruin my set when I go to widescreen mode.  I've seen it happen with Plasma's (cheap ones), but I just get worried about stupid stuff like that.

But thanks for the advice, I'm still leaning towards my LCD, but I'll look a little more into competitively priced DLPs as well.  

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2008, 07:04:01 AM »
My general opinion is that if you are looking at small TVs, LCDs are a great way to go, but the second you break the 50 inch barrier you cannot beat the bang for your buck that DLP projections give you.

For example, a 50 inch Samsung plasma runs the same price on Amazon as a 61 inch Samsung DLP.  People get caught up in thinking they want a thin TV you can hang on a wall....

Here's some interesting numbers.  The same 50 inch Plasma weighs 25 pounds MORE than a 61 inch DLP.

The DLP is only 10 inches deeper than the plasma.  Even if you want to hang it on your wall, it would take just as much effort to mount a capable shelf for the DLP as it would to mount a bracket that can hold the 100 pounds of plasma.  
---------------------

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2008, 11:07:44 AM »
LCD's don't have any burn in

it's LCD, CRT, Plasma from lowest to highest burn in risk
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Re: When you play VC games on your HD TV, do you...
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2008, 10:43:09 PM »
Bumping this for a very interesting note....

VC demos in Brawl are played in standard 4:3 (pillar box) on wide screen tvs without having to change your tv settings....

If Brawl can do it, why don't the actual VC games?  The Star Fox 64 demo in Brawl actually looks BETTER than the Star Fox 64 VC game.

Color me confused.
---------------------

Offline darknight06

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2008, 11:50:57 PM »
I'd have to see that to believe it.  Unless the dithering is gone, I'm gonna count it as no difference whatsoever.  I would think that since it's being made 4:3 in a 16:9 space it would look worse like games usually do. 

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2008, 12:29:05 AM »
all iknow is that the "widescreen" mode of my VC games doesn't use the full screen.  Therefore putting my tv in 4:3 creates a less than 4:3 picture... and it doesn't look as good.  =P
---------------------

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2008, 01:14:56 AM »
I wonder why Nintendo doesn't give the option to stretch the game to fit the whole screen?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2008, 02:19:22 AM »
I wonder why Nintendo doesn't give the option to stretch the game to fit the whole screen?

You can make it happen. You just have to go into the Wii System menu and set your widescreen settings to "full screen". ;)

Although, I personally don't know why anyone would want a stretched image. Gross.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2008, 10:33:21 PM »
That doesn't work because VC games automatically resort to 4:3 when run.  Those games didn't full the full screen aspect ratio to begin with since they don't overscan which is exactly like the way they did them on the original systems they run on.  In fact, if there's one thing I absolutely love about the VC is that NES, SNES, and Genesis games on an SDTV actually run at their original screen resolutions, they are not upscaled at all.  I'd say the big reason for no option to stretch the image is because the games would look ugly as hell, not to mention it's extra work.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2008, 08:38:12 PM »
I don't even have an HD TV set at the moment I have my Wii hooked up to a Sony Trinitron using the component cables and the tv doesn't even offer Progressive as an option. Before when I was living with a friend who had an HD TV that did Progressive, I played everything in widescreen regardless of what it was made for. It bothered me while playing Mario Bros 3, at that time though I just got Metroid Prime 3 so I was too into that to even bother with the VC, except my daily dose of Sim City.
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline Mikintosh

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2008, 06:45:04 PM »

You can make it happen. You just have to go into the Wii System menu and set your widescreen settings to "full screen". ;)

Although, I personally don't know why anyone would want a stretched image. Gross.

Yeah, I thought that option on the GBA and the Game Boy Player was idiotic (I even got annoyed when I accidentally pressed the shoulder button and it messed up the visual), so I wouldn't see the appeal, especially for more detailed games.

Of course, I've barely even been near an HDTV outside of CostCo, so maybe I'm not the best resource...