Author Topic: SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL - The New Megathread  (Read 355038 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE: Super Smash Bros. Brawl (nsf56k)
« Reply #1225 on: July 22, 2007, 02:27:27 PM »
There's nothing wrong with organizational standard rule sets. If a lot of people want to create a league and go with 4 person, 8 minute, no item matches, that's fine. Just don't fool yourself into thinking they're somehow magically universal.

Personally, I go with 6 life stock matches, all items either on or off at normal frequency, completely random level.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Super Smash Bros. Brawl (nsf56k)
« Reply #1226 on: July 22, 2007, 02:33:47 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon
There's nothing wrong with organizational standard rule sets. If a lot of people want to create a league and go with 4 person, 8 minute, no item matches, that's fine. Just don't fool yourself into thinking they're somehow magically universal.

Personally, I go with 6 life stock matches, all items either on or off at normal frequency, completely random level.

I wasn't fooling myself at all into thinking it's universal or universally excepted per say (clearly from the discussion at hand). I was merely stating where the pro rules come from in regards to the whole no item discussion / pro discussion.

Personally, I go with 10 life stock matches, all items off, no time limit and final destination level for my most intense 1v1 matches.

(Edit: and to answer a previous question I think the 8 minutes comes from the doubling of lives the player has. I guess they figure an average maximum of 2 minutes per life)

Offline Kraven

• One of the goofier Spider-Man villains
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: July 22, 2007, 02:55:42 PM »
My friends and I play 3 stock no items, usually random stage, but we like choosing between Temple, Corneria, Pokemon Stadium, Fountain of Dreams, Final Destination or the Metroid one that doesn't have Kraid.  

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: July 22, 2007, 03:00:46 PM »
I just thought of this but (off the current topic). . . I hope they include another video gameplay clip thing in this version of SSB. I really enjoyed the Melee one with all the silly stuff happening on screen.

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: July 22, 2007, 03:12:48 PM »
I thought that video was cool, but I always wondered why it was there, I mean was it just thrown on there becuase they had some space left on the disc?

Personally I would like to see the personalized character introductions from the original SSB make a return, as well as ending screens like those from the original (the Earthbound one freaking rocked).
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: July 22, 2007, 04:22:31 PM »
I'm not sure Cat Stevens qualifies as a philosopher.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: July 22, 2007, 08:03:49 PM »
Rumble Falls!

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat stage GET!

(Hmmm, I wonder if there really are climbing animations or if Mario was stuck there by the person screencapping...)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #1232 on: July 22, 2007, 08:06:01 PM »
Oh, yes!  Reminds me of the Ice Climbers level.. except this one will be quite playable as opposed to the previous.  I wonder what Sakurai is suggesting by that last quote, though?  :P
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline anubis6789

• View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: July 22, 2007, 08:09:34 PM »
Did anyone else notice Mario climbing the ladder in the second picture? Could this be another new ability besides crawling?  
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: July 22, 2007, 08:09:45 PM »
This stage makes me wish again that DK had his Jungle Beat model..

It looks a bit generic compared to the beauty that was Jungle Beat, but the same could be said about the Sunshine stage. It doesn't bother me much though.  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: July 22, 2007, 08:09:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Rachtman
Oh, yes!  Reminds me of the Ice Climbers level.. except this one will be quite playable as opposed to the previous.  I wonder what Sakurai is suggesting by that last quote, though?  :P

I wonder...

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: July 22, 2007, 08:11:16 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill Aurion
Rumble Falls!

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat stage GET!

(Hmmm, I wonder if there really are climbing animations or if Mario was stuck there by the person screencapping...)

Little dudes definitely climbing that ladder.

Edit: I see........
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline anubis6789

• View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: July 22, 2007, 08:18:12 PM »
Sorry Bill, did not see your climbing comment when I was typing in my post, is that what the edit was for?

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: July 22, 2007, 08:18:23 PM »
Ice Climbers level style, plus ladders, plus jack and the beanstalk all confirmed in a single post?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline anubis6789

• View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: July 22, 2007, 08:27:37 PM »
Now that I think about the fact that ladders may be a new feature, the more I believe that it would be a crime if there is not a stage based on any of the stages from the original arcade Donkey Kong.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: July 23, 2007, 01:45:10 AM »
Although I hated the Ice Climbers stage, how can something inspired from Jungle Beat be bad. The best level in the game has just been confirmed.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: July 23, 2007, 01:55:40 AM »

Originally posted by: anubis6789
Now that I think about the fact that ladders may be a new feature, the more I believe that it would be a crime if there is not a stage based on any of the stages from the original arcade Donkey Kong.

I'm fully expecting a DK Arcade level, even if it's only a minigame or stage in Adventure Mode...If not, I'll cry!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1242 on: July 23, 2007, 01:56:48 AM »
Our first moving level confirmed.

Personally, I loved the Ice Climbers level, because it was a moving level that was pretty easy to fight in and create some strategy.  While some of the later moving levels were too hard to do that.

The one thing I didn't like about Ice Climbers was that random speed up of the climbing of the level...I felt that was out of place for the level, though I understood where the influence came from.

I don't think this level will have that which is awesome.  I also think there is much more variety in the platforming of this level which will add to it being more enjoyable...each full screen scroll will bring completely new level elements to fight through and around.

Offline LuigiHann

• View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: July 23, 2007, 05:45:58 AM »
I've been expecting an old-school DK Arcade level since the original SSB. It would be perfect for Adventure Mode.
With the ladders and platforms, though, this level looks sort of like a combination of old-school and new-school DK styles.
I also like that this seems to be a combination of the good elements of the Ice Climbers level and the Rainbow Ride level of Melee.

I hope they don't bring back the DK Rap.  

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: July 23, 2007, 05:49:22 AM »

Originally posted by: LuigiHann
I hope they don't bring back the DK Rap.

I hope so as well. The DK rap is something that should be locked away in a vault forever and never heard again and should be stricken from all previous games.  

Offline Tanookisuit

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
    • jeremytinder.com
« Reply #1245 on: July 23, 2007, 06:11:49 AM »
Yes, the classic first level of DK NEEDS to be in the game.  Let's of barrels, lot's of ladders, Pauline and the whole shebang.  Need it.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: July 23, 2007, 06:49:28 AM »
Hey, the DK Rap is bad in that really addicting way!  It should at least make a comeback as one of those secret "Hold Z while selecting the stage" songs...

As for the music in this stage, I think it'd be the logical thing to predict the Rumble Falls theme, but I hope the music from Arie Fortress makes it in instead...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1247 on: July 23, 2007, 08:52:30 AM »

Originally posted by: Tanookisuit
Yes, the classic first level of DK NEEDS to be in the game.  Let's of barrels, lot's of ladders, Pauline and the whole shebang.  Need it.

I agree, but I would rather it be in Adventure mode, and it actually be the original 4 levels of DK.  Redesigned...to require double jumps over barrels, or at least disable double jumps.

Barrels of course would be inmmune to attacks as well.  It would be one of the greatest Adventure Mode levels in the game.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: July 23, 2007, 08:52:38 AM »
I'd like to propose that whoever is the first to post a comment regarding the daily update must link to said update.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: July 23, 2007, 09:06:04 AM »
lol.  You know what a I thought of.  If Daisy isn't out right playable for some reason Peach should have an alt of all the 4 Mario "Princesses."  You could be Peach, Pauline, Daisy, or Emo Star Princess.  If Daisy is playable then Daisy should alt Emo and Peach should alt Pauline, Chronologic (Pauline, Peach, Daisy, Emo).  While we are at it.  If Toad gets in their then he should alt Toadsworth and Toaddetta(sp?).  I think thats what the costumes will allow, they did say that earlier.  In essence you would not have any clone characters on the actual roster just alts for the one true character.  Actually that brings up another point.  It be cool if the whole Mario Gang had their paper alt as well.

A little off topic there.  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.