Author Topic: I hope "Secret Rings" doesn't suck...  (Read 75168 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
RE:I hope "Secret Rings" doesn't suck...
« Reply #275 on: February 20, 2007, 05:41:31 PM »
So we've concluded what, this game is passable?

Sega I'm really disa...no you know what, just hand it off to the people that made the DS game.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #276 on: February 20, 2007, 05:43:08 PM »

Originally posted by: Crimm
So we've concluded what, this game is passable?

Sega I'm really disa...no you know what, just hand it off to the people that made the DS game.

Uuuuuuuh....no.

Only like 4 reviews have been posted and NO ONE has gotten the game. So its too early to say if the game is good or not.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 20, 2007, 05:46:04 PM »
After Shadow came out I vowed to never touch another Sonic game unless the general concesus(is that the word im looking for?) was that it was a 9.0 title. I was really angry back then. But after reading all these reviews, I think I will run out and buy the game tomorrow. It does sound pretty solid, so im on the Sonic boat again.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 20, 2007, 05:48:12 PM »
No, but the reviews are all seemingly in the 7 range.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: I hope "Secret Rings" doesn't suck...
« Reply #279 on: February 20, 2007, 05:52:13 PM »
Don't forget scores will forever seem lower than usual since we had Zelda for a launch title.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #280 on: February 20, 2007, 05:56:21 PM »

Originally posted by: Crimm
No, but the reviews are all seemingly in the 7 range.

Not really, only one is a 7, one is a 6.9 and the other two are in the 80s. And like I said, no one has played it yet.

The REAL decision lies in the fans. If a great deal of the fans in here like it, the game is good, period.

Look, its understandable if you are pissed as hell at Sega for screwing the Sonic franchise up. If you don't care for Secret Rings, fine. Just don't go around saying "Oh fans have low standards" or "Its a 7 or 8, not worth it". You don't care, but we DO.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 20, 2007, 06:06:18 PM »
The fans DO have low standards.

Go back and read this thread.  "Well as long as it isnt terrible it's the best 3D game yet!"
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #282 on: February 20, 2007, 06:15:55 PM »
SA2B was one of Sega's best sellers last gen.

AUGH THE FANS SUCK
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #283 on: February 20, 2007, 07:09:51 PM »
I'm giving Sonic a 4.5 and that's that.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 21, 2007, 02:29:19 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
SA2B was one of Sega's best sellers last gen.

AUGH THE FANS SUCK

I thought it was alright, but only the Sonic/Shadow levels.  And the creepy alien baby things you could raise gave me nightmares.  :-\
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #285 on: February 21, 2007, 03:11:22 AM »
Matt is just being a whiny bastard, as usual.... he says that "Sonic and the Secret Rings is my favorite entry into the franchise since its 2D roots" and it gets the same score as SA2:B and LOWER than SH?

the score average is 76 according to metacritic, with IGN's score being the lowest...
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 21, 2007, 04:14:49 AM »
This is sounding like a "wait for a discount" game to me.  I'm interested in playing it, but I'm not going to pay full price.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 21, 2007, 05:27:18 AM »
Same. I've got way too much to catch up on right now - VC games, DS games, hell I haven't even finished Zelda. Plus I'm replaying some classic GameCube games.

I'll definitely pick it up though, as soon as it gets its first price drop.
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline utarefsoN

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 21, 2007, 06:00:24 AM »
never really played a sonic game. That will not change with this game.

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 21, 2007, 10:49:29 AM »

Originally posted by: utarefsoN
never really played a sonic game.

My head a-splode.
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline Artimus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 21, 2007, 11:35:28 AM »

Originally posted by: Athrun Zala
Matt is just being a whiny bastard, as usual.... he says that "Sonic and the Secret Rings is my favorite entry into the franchise since its 2D roots" and it gets the same score as SA2:B and LOWER than SH?

the score average is 76 according to metacritic, with IGN's score being the lowest...

He didn't review that. But, oddly, he did give Sonic Heroes an 8.0.

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 21, 2007, 01:18:07 PM »
Wow I guess I am the first here to actually get the game.  I suppose I shall give a few quick pros and cons of my first couple hours in the game (Im only in the second world.)

I'm going straight to cons

-Party games are STUPID boring and really lame, use wario ware or the upcoming mario party for your mini game needs

-I know people complain about shaking the controller for honing and attacking but I have no issue with this, its quite responsive to me.  YET, the part I am frustrated with the most is the sensitivity of turning left and right.  With Excite truck you barely had to move the controller to make a sharp turn, with Sonic its ridiculous how much i have to turn and not only that he moves left to right quite sluggish.

-Moving the controller back to move backwards is the most retarded thing ever~!  Sometimes I will be in full speed and all of sudden find myself braking suddenly only to find myself walking backwards for no reason.  Sega could of EASILY fixed this by making you HOLD down a BUTTON and perhaps THEN PULL the controller backwards.  It really disrupts gameplay for me. . .

-Surprisingly its not the music OR the voice actors that bother me, its the horrible dialogue.  The game's story is told through comic-like panels with a nice sketchy painterly look that actually goes well with the game.  Voice overs are dubbed over these scenes but the writing is poor, very poor.  Though I will make mention of one voice actor that was HORRIBLE and that would be the main bad guy of this game.  Think of any Disney film villain, now imagine the auditions for that part, now imagine the worst of them, now multiply it by 10 and you pretty much have his voice.  I am seriously thinking of switching the voices to Japanese just because of him.

-I have no clue where they explain the controls in the game, there is a tutorial world but half the missions for it never explained what to do I just remembered what buttons did what based on interviews and impressions I had read earlier.

Ok now for the good

-The angsty music actually does not bother me . . . . at all.  I think it flows with the quirkiness of the game and is good.

-Missions can be nasty hard but there always seems to be enough easy missions to complete to at least get you to the next world.

-While some missions are unbelievably cheap, the load times are pretty nonexistant and to retry the mission is just a matter of simply clicking a button.

-The graphics to me are very polished gamecube to me, some of the effects are pretty and overall the game has good art direction.

-I dont care what everyone says, the missions really do shake up the enviornment.  Each mission I have played thus far makes me feel like I am playing a different part of the stage, almost going back to classic Sonic acts.  This really allows a lot of breathing room for level design and replayability.

-The exp system and the customizable ability rings are a great and welcome addition, I actually now want to play missions I skipped over because I want exp so I can level up.

-LOTS AND LOTS OF UNLOCKABLES

Realize I have only played a couple hours into this game but despite my somewhat negative impressions I really dont regret my purchase.  I would reccomend it to anyone here who is willing to put up with Sonic again.  I will post some further impressions after I play more of the game.

At this point I rate this game 74 out of 100, its average and pretty fun.  Its a purchase if you are willing to try Sega's attempt at a unique semi-flawed idea, or a rental for anyone else.

If anyone has a question just post something and I will try to get to it.  

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #292 on: February 21, 2007, 02:20:11 PM »
I was just about to ask if someone had gotten the game. Good impressions, darkheart. Even with the issues it sounds like technically Secret rings is more polished than Sonic next gen.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 21, 2007, 02:36:50 PM »

Originally posted by: pap64
I was just about to ask if someone had gotten the game. Good impressions, darkheart. Even with the issues it sounds like technically Secret rings is more polished than Sonic next gen.

Not like that is something to be proud of, all sega would need to do is burn ET onto the Sonic disk and it still would be a better game.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #294 on: February 21, 2007, 02:44:45 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Not like that is something to be proud of, all sega would need to do is burn ET onto the Sonic disk and it still would be a better game.

I don't quite understand what you are saying...Are you saying that SR being much better in terms of technology than Sonic next gen is not something to be proud of? I'm confused...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 21, 2007, 02:50:22 PM »
Basically saying a 30 hour video of a still shot of a jar of mayo is 10xs better then Sonic Next Gen. . .

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 21, 2007, 03:04:24 PM »

I don't quite understand what you are saying...Are you saying that SR being much better in terms of technology than Sonic next gen is not something to be proud of? I'm confused...

No I'm saying that ET is a better game than Sonic Next Generation so saying it is more polished isn't saying much .
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #297 on: February 21, 2007, 03:40:41 PM »

No I'm saying that ET is a better game than Sonic Next Generation so saying it is more polished isn't saying much .

Ah I see. I mentioned Sonic Next gen since its not only the most recent Sonic game released people always mention it when they talk SR, like "After the abysmal performance of Sonic next gen", "Those hoping that SR will be exactly like Sonic next gen" and "There's hope that SR will bring back the Sonic goodness, especially after Sonic next gen destroyed it".
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 21, 2007, 04:36:20 PM »
I'll be waiting for that video, darkheart.

At least things are looking up for Sonic, for once. Hopefully sales will be good enough that Sega will recognize what customers are looking for. It might still be worse than the classics, but it certainly is a step. I would compare the Sonic the Hedgehog series to Nintendo in the console world. Nintendo has always turned profits, but they have decreased with each system. The Wii might be the first exception. Likewise, Sonic has always been relatively successful, but getting worse with each game. Secret Rings is the first exception.
Thanks for listening.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #299 on: February 21, 2007, 04:40:25 PM »

Originally posted by: MarioAllStar
I'll be waiting for that video, darkheart.

At least things are looking up for Sonic, for once. Hopefully sales will be good enough that Sega will recognize what customers are looking for. It might still be worse than the classics, but it certainly is a step. I would compare the Sonic the Hedgehog series to Nintendo in the console world. Nintendo has always turned profits, but they have decreased with each system. The Wii might be the first exception. Likewise, Sonic has always been relatively successful, but getting worse with each game. Secret Rings is the first exception.

I don't remember who said it, but that person said that one of the reasons SR was so important was if the game turned out to be good, even solid at least we could thank Nintendo for creating a system so innovative that it forced game developers to re-think their current development ideals and breathe new life into their franchises.

Even if the reviews for SR end up being mixed and split between the sevens and eights at least we can proudly say that the Wii got a really good Sonic game along with a solid idea and execution.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer