Author Topic: Square/EA is gone now.  (Read 3024 times)

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Square/EA is gone now.
« on: February 20, 2003, 02:10:49 AM »
I called this one on the same day that the news of the Square/Enix merger hit the net.

They were saying that the Square/Enix merger would help them compete with companies like EA in particular, but I didn't see how that would've been possible if they were still linked to EA.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/386/386607p1.html

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2911168,00.html

It doesn't really make sense to me that Enix of America was dissolved to go join the half-dozen people who make up "Square of America" as they move out of their EA offices.

I mean, Enix was saying they wanted Square's "North American strength", but all Square had was EA (and Eidos before that, and Sony before that). Enix at least had an intact company. All Square has is their name. They could have just changed the sign of Enix of America easily enough. But no, they have to try and move an entire company from Seattle to Los Angeles and accidentally lose 1/4 of their personell to companies like Microsoft (and hopefully NOA) because they like Seattle and don't want to move.

Anyways... I figure this HAS to impact any Square games coming out in America for the next while. PS2 owning RPG fans are probably gonna feel it (if they haven't already *looks at FF11*). Nintendo might be lucky because FF:CC and FFTA are published by Nintendo in Japan. It increases the chances that NOA might publish them in the US. Of course, if NOA doesn't pick them up, we might be screwed too.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
Square/EA is gone now.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2003, 02:18:18 AM »
Dude dont worry, I honestly cant see it making a rats arse of difference. It's not like Enix of America was a very big or talented company.
Your just getting paranoid mate.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Nintendork SP

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Square/EA is gone now.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2003, 04:41:53 AM »
RABicle makes a good point, all EOA would be doing is small graphics edits and translating stuff.
Going to war without France is like going fishing without an accordion.
-----------------------------------------------------
When I was I child I caught a fleeting glimpse.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
Square/EA is gone now.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2003, 07:22:02 AM »
Personally I think it may be for the better that Square Enix will be handling it own games. For one they can make sure it gets localized, advertised, and published the way they want it to. Another thing it will make a dent in EA's revenue flow.  
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Square/EA is gone now.
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2003, 07:28:53 AM »
Anything that gives me an excuse to not give EA any of my money is A-OK with me.

"Nintendo might be lucky because FF:CC and FFTA are published by Nintendo in Japan."

I wouldn't worry about either title.  FF: CC is heavily featured in North American Gamecube promos.  NOA is going to make damn sure that title is released over here.  Both titles also have the Final Fantasy name which is strong in North America so they're likely going to be a high priority for localization.

The only titles I would be worried about would be some of Square Enix's more obscure stuff not getting released over here.  Personally I'll be content if the Final Fantasy Adventure Remake for GBA gets released over here.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Square/EA is gone now.
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2003, 08:06:21 AM »
I think when Enix refers to Square's "strength" in North America, they are talking about the popularity of the games.  Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger are huge collector's items on the Super Nintendo, and as far as I can remember they were insanely popular even when they were first relased.  I think Square's games do a lot better here than Enix's.
Again, referring to the Super NES, I think Square published its own games for the Super Nintendo in North America. In fact, wasn't Secret of Evermore developed by Square of America before it was shut down?  The point is, I think Enix is looking to leverage the popularity of Square's franchises (namely Final Fantasy) in North America, rather than any material assets it has here.  
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline theaveng

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
Square/EA is gone now.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2003, 11:20:38 AM »
Square/EA is not gone.  They are just re-naming themselves to Square/Enix.  No big deal...I remember when my company was sold from Lockheed Martin to GE... we continued business as usual, just with a different name.