Author Topic: New DS, This may be the proof  (Read 4879 times)

Offline Giusexxy

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
New DS, This may be the proof
« on: June 30, 2008, 10:35:37 PM »
On page 53 of the August 2008 issue of Nintendo Power Magazine there is an advertisement for Discaea DS, and the DS in the add has slightly different dimensions. The screens are larger. The gap between the screen and the speakers is non existent and the buttons are smaller slightly. Now this may just be a small tweak to make the screen shots look bigger but this close to E3 I think it may just be an oversight and this is the next DS to be released. If that's right... I want one.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: New DS, This may be the proof
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 10:54:02 PM »
Nice catch.  While interesting, I doubt it's any indication of a redesign.

I'm looking at the ad now, and the size of the screens is just ridiculous.  It would add at least a half inch to both the vertical and horizontal dimensions of the screen.  (Unless, of course, the screen size is the same but the body of the DS is much smaller.)  I don't see how the resolution would work on current DS games unless Nintendo utilized some sort of "upscaling", which doesn't seem like it would work too well.

Also, the "screens" aren't actually screen shots of the game.  They're cartoon drawings, which indicates ... well, I'm not sure what it indicates.  But I would be more inclined to believe in a redesign if they were screens.  I'm pretty sure it's exactly what you said--a mock up to make the screen shots better viewable.

Finally, welcome to the boards!  I fully expected an advertisement for cheap video games and iPods when I clicked on the topic.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Giusexxy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 07:45:58 AM »
Yes the same thought occurred to me. Current resolution wouldn't work, although the current DS can play GB Advanced games and they have a lower resolution than DS games. Although I do have to concede, if this was a redesign I doubt Nintendo would stick so closely to the current look of the system unless it was generally really well received or they got lazy.

You could tell that the screen shots were just pasted onto an image of a DS and even if they got the inside of the screen dimensions wrong the outside ones look legit to me. I don't know... I guess it's just wishfull thinking on my part. I don't know why, we all know that Nintendo will put out a redesign in the near future and I should just wait patiently.

And thanks for the welcome, looking forward to more Nintendo themed discussions.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 08:40:29 AM »
I don't think this is proof of anything. They just made the screen unnaturally large so they could better illlustrate the game on the screen, that's all.

Of course, that doesn't *really* mean they don't have another DS revision up their sleeves, but chances are if they do its going to look a good deal different.
is your sanity...

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 02:06:18 PM »
Link? Anyone have an image?
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline Giusexxy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 11:01:12 PM »
Unfortunately I don't have a link because I saw it in my copy of Nintendo Power. I guess you should check your local magazine seller. I think it looks like a miss or tease on the part of Nintendo but who knows, I guess we'll see.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 01:20:34 AM »

Thats the ad in question.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 01:40:18 AM »
Thanks for the link...

But, yikes... they could get in trouble for that ad - false advertising/misrepresentation - if it's not indicative of a new DS revision...

P.S. - Why's the bat-penguin (I assume that's who's "playing") so dang sweaty? Bat-penguin sweat will not sway me to buy this game.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 02:33:32 AM »
Meh, the DS is not what they're selling so I don't think they can get in trouble for it.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 02:50:05 AM »
Thanks for the link...

But, yikes... they could get in trouble for that ad - false advertising/misrepresentation - if it's not indicative of a new DS revision...

P.S. - Why's the bat-penguin (I assume that's who's "playing") so dang sweaty? Bat-penguin sweat will not sway me to buy this game.

Those are Prinnies from Disgaea out of proportion if I may add. They are like the common monsters in those games plus if you toss them when they land they explode, in the game they serve Etna and Laharl out of fear. Like you see in the add they commonly say Dood and other comical things.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 02:52:05 AM by Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 09:00:17 AM »
Wow... whatever agency made this ad should get paid extra - it looks like the ad is *really* making the rounds and getting some attention...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 09:18:41 AM »
Will anyone be upset and confused if I merge this topic with the other new ds topic?  Informal poll! =P
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 10:33:44 AM »
Thats the ad in question.

Here's a link to the ad, because if you're anything like me, Adblock hid Flames' image.  :)

Will anyone be upset and confused if I merge this topic with the other new ds topic?  Informal poll! =P

I won't be upset or confused, but I think this topic is different enough from Spak's topic to warrant separate threads.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 01:31:56 PM »
THEY BATTERIES ARE DIEING!
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 04:17:25 PM »
I actually think both topics are about to die anyway...I think they should remain separated...but oh well.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 08:30:01 PM »
The screens on the DS in the foreground aren't even aligned. The bottom screen is slightly offset to the left.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline Smakian

• View Profile
    • Twitter Feed
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 08:44:22 PM »
I can't even tell if it's actually a different design. My guess is that maybe the art they overlaid covers more area than the DS screens, and so it makes the rest of it look smaller. Creative photoshopping on the part of the ad people, but not an actual indication of a new DS model. I doubt there's much point in making the DS smaller at this point anyway, but then, I didn't expect the GBA Micro...
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Mine are just the correct ones.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 11:15:46 PM »
Why would a 3rd party developer know about a DS revision before Nintendo announced it?
is your sanity...