Author Topic: Nintendo Wi-Fi hits 1,000,000+ players  (Read 3166 times)

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Nintendo Wi-Fi hits 1,000,000+ players
« on: March 07, 2006, 06:40:05 AM »
According to the American Nintendo Wi-Fi countdown to a million players the wifi service has surpassed 1 million users with 1,000,256 users and 26,505,275 unique connections. Go Wi-Fi service go! It looks like even with only 3 games currently soon to be 6(in the US)  enabled those numbers are nothing to sneeze at. I wonder how these numbers will encourage more 3rd parties to make online game for DS and or REV.  
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo Wi-Fi hits 1,000,000+ players
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 08:02:23 AM »
From the looks of it, most devs aren't bothering to include multiplayer unless they also include wifi support.

With Tetris, Hunters, Bomberman, MK, AC all going wifi, it's rapidly getting to the point where a game will be looked down upon for NOT having online support.

Most xbox games suffer this problem. If there's no live support, people subtract points from it's score (if it was a game with multiplayer, that is).
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo Wi-Fi hits 1,000,000+ players
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 09:06:16 AM »
I agree with you and I hate that mentality, like how microsoft is forcing people to put everything on live for the 360. There are some genres that do not belong online. But on the other hand an online mode if done right it extends the longevity of a game.  
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline jasonditz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 09:12:03 AM »
OTOH most every game that works as a multiplayer game will probably work as a Wifi game too.

Maybe the next iteration of Madden will feature online multiplay so it can suck on the internet too.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 12:23:57 PM »

Originally posted by: Lord_die_seis
I agree with you and I hate that mentality, like how microsoft is forcing people to put everything on live for the 360. There are some genres that do not belong online. But on the other hand an online mode if done right it extends the longevity of a game.

I agree, but I don't think that anyone is forcing it on devs. I've yet to hear of Nintendo "forcing" it on anyone, especially since the games which are offering it are natural candidates for wifi. It makes sense to add it because it increases the longevity and fun-factor of the game if you can always find competent human opponents to face.

But then, there are those games which AREN'T a natural fit and still have wifi. "Contact", for example, which looks like a quirky RPG in the vein of Earthbound, somehow has wifi capability for up to 8 players.

I'm still waiting anxiously to see how wifi will be implemented in Contact...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 04:21:42 PM »
trading items, perhaps... lots of items
I'll shut up now...

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 07:19:56 PM »
I actualy hope they can get some sprots games onluine, Need For Speed, MAdden and NBA Live will all be so much better if they can have online play for Ds and Rev. They already rock on xbox live cuz of this.  
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 07:24:56 PM »
Guys guys...check this out.

Mario Tennis Revolution: Online.

Eh?  EH?!
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 07:32:17 PM »
1 million unique users? Wow. Just wow.

Guys guys...check this out.

Mario Tennis Revolution: Online.

Eh? EH?!

yes.

“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 08:03:46 PM »
F-Zero. Please F-Zero. Please, Nintendo. This is me begging you to buy Amusement Vision. Or make it yourself. But remember, F-Zero online..  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 08:04:31 PM »
NO F-Zero! Crusin USA!
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 02:06:45 AM »

NO F-Zero! Crusin USA!

I find your lack of taste disturbing.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 03:26:16 AM »
(pssst, that was the other evil dude who said that, adjust your avatar before anyone notices!)

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 09:05:20 AM »
Vader stole all his good lines from ME.